BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Entirely understandable that he did not play. The fairly short term ex-girlfriend I couldn't understand but his dad .... that's completely different. Even the fact that he'd not been well for some time doesn't take away the shock and sadness of the actual death as those who have lost a parent will know. Best wishes to Benni.

I doubt he'll even be here. It's a tough time for him and especially so when he is here and so far away from his home and family when he must have known how ill his father was.

The funeral is on Saturday. Ince told Benni to go see his dad when he was taken ill ,i just hope he got a chance to see his dad before he passed away.

Fair play to Ince on telling him to go out there and be with his family.

Link to Ince interview on the matter here...

http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,237...4498695,00.html

• 1 month later...
Those stats stack up well, Hughesy. Hopefully he can keep it up and we may be better off without Roque when we go 4-4-2 :blink:

A fit and motivated Benni is far better for us than a fit and motivated RSC, because we don't have a Bentley.

Benni creates far more of his own and others chances through his awareness and flicks.

I've taken a bit of stick throughout my time backing Benni during his dark spell, but for me his still remains the best player at this club. He's a better player than Santa Cruz and it is essential that he is playing. He's a better finisher and is more likely to create for others. Santa Cruz should play as a foil to Benni, like Roberts does, which he is more than capable of doing. Since Santa Cruz came in and started doing well he has always been our go-to guy and that has meant that Benni has been less effective. If people don't think that Benni and Santa Cruz can work together then they should just try and remember how good they looked at the start of last season (the Everton game in particular springs to mind).

I have to say I've always felt that because neither RSC or Benni play right up top they will never work long term.

Both players do like to drop into the area between midfield and attack to get the ball. Its why I think previous managers have not played them together and Roberts has gotten so many games.

However I like Benni he does need to get his act back on track but in him he has 20 goals. Hopefully Sam can tame him, however I hope they don't meet for their heart to heart in Maccie D's.

If RSC goes and I will not be surprised it could be the best thing for Benni and Rovers all round.

Curiously those stat's Eddie is it 12 including 7 subs or 12 starts and 7 sub appearances?

Edited by Majiball

If McCarthy can stay fit and push on from yesterday, I think him and Roberts could be the pair to get us out of the relegation fight. McCarthy has the class, and Roberts has the work-rate. They might not have been the ideal pairing during pre-season, but things have changed over the last six months.

I would love for Benni and Cruz to be an effective pairing but I just can't see how it will work. Both of them want to be the focus, they drop into the same areas. Sam would need to get Cruz to change his game - run the channels, play right up against the back line, play a very physical role - while McCarthy drops off. It is hard to make a leopard change it spots.

I am sure Sam will be giving it some thought though.

I may have got this wrong but I thought I was watching a pretty basic 4-4-2 yesterday with Rovers concentrating on doing the basics correctly.

Benni and Jason were doing nothing more sophisticated than Benni attacking the right and Jason the left.

If that is to be the way forwards, then replacing Jason with Roque shouldn't be a problem except for keepers facing RSC in one-on-ones which would be a nice problem from a Rovers standpoint.

A fit and motivated Benni is far better for us than a fit and motivated RSC, because we don't have a Bentley.

Benni creates far more of his own and others chances through his awareness and flicks.

Correct, and more to the point, a fit and motivated Benni is MUCH better than an unfit and demotivated RSC who has his mind elsewhere.

Benni does create far more and if Jason had Benni's boots on, on Saturday, he'd have had a hat trick as well!

Have to say that Benni's technically wonderful, some of his touches were sublime, a couple of wonderful examples of killing the ball dead and running his three markers ragged spring to mind.

I for one, am glad we have Benni back, we could do with someone else to help him up there, as for me Jason is still not anywhere near his class.

Edited by daveoftherovers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.