BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Benni can go for me in the summer if we get the right bid in for him. I think he is way past his best now and he is on a downhill slide, he's not fit enough to cause defenders any problems anymore and has no pace at all to get past his man. He has scored a few vital goals for us (mainly from the penalty spot), but he does not offer the team much more and i think the time has come for him to depart.

Despite his 'weight problems' Benni had a pretty good season, especially considering his use. Call him fat if you like, I don't where you get your figures from, call him lazy if you like, I'd like to see his stats because I think they might surprise, but he scores goals. Quite a few goals in fact. Lots of stats can be twisted or be unrepresentative but his goals and games stats are strong evidence of his usefulness and the contribution he makes to the team.

PL games 18 ( plus 10 as sub ) 10 goals

This would be pretty good for most teams but coming at a team who struggled all season and finished in 15th I'd say they were very good.

Cup games 2 ( plus 3 as sub ) 3 goals

All together 20 starts 13 subs 13 goals

Those stats don't lie.

On the other hand he isn't getting any younger and if we got a good offer and Sam thinks he can get better with that money, great.

But for all the Benni bashers out there, have a think about what contribution he made this season alone before you get on his back.

If thats what he can do in that condition, then imagine what he's capable off???

His whole career has been blighted by inconsistency and a poor attitude. When he first came on the scene people thought he was going to be a world beater, trouble is he never did.

He has made a good contribution, but he could do so much more, this is my bone of contention. Benni does what Benni wants proven by his disgraceful behaviour towards S.Africa not so long ago. Add in his complete lack of respect for our club, through his weight issues, twice this season its been highlighted nationally under two different managers, that is not the attitude I expect from a player at my club, its not one I'd advocate anywhere.

I did not call Benni fat I said he was obese for an elite athelete and he is.

We need players who give 100%, Benni's never done that regularly and never will.

He always has a great first season then followed by mediocraty by his standards, till he leaves. The only manager who got him firing was Mourinho, who is a master at motivating players.

Edited by Majiball

Let's get rid of the entire team, then spend the first 15 games of the season losing every match whilst the players "gel" together.

Like Tottenham last year

There speaks a wise and sagacious man (or lady - as we don't know each other).

According to soccerbase he has scored 48 goals for us. Has any other striker done that in a Rovers shirt since Gallacher?

I'd wager Matt Jansen got over 50 goals for us, although most of them were in the second tier.

I assume that RSC will be gone next season, so in my view Benni Mac is the best striker in the world that we can legitimately hope to have at our club next season. Fat or not. We don't have the money to purchase a better striker and it's hard enough to attract top-notch talent even if we did have the cash.

He is our most prolific striker in front of goal. We have Roberts who is an instinctive finisher rather than a nautral one like Benni. With Benni, he might be quiet all game, and then pop up in the right place at the right time and get us a goal. Not many of our strikers can do that. Roque relies heavily on the quality of the delievery, and as we saw this season, without Bentley he suffered with the amount of goals he got this season.

We can't afford to sell Benni aswel as Derbyshire.

Let's get rid of the entire team, then spend the first 15 games of the season losing every match whilst the players "gel" together.

Like Tottenham last year

They didn't have balance, you'll notice as soon as harry came in they gelled rather nicely.

I've said my piece but if you honestly think its on he doesn't keep himself in shape for the 30-45K people on here say he is on, thats up to you. Perhaps you should go into work wearing jeans and a t-shirt and see what happens.

The rest of the team are let down by his actions they seem to be able to keep in shape and eat properly, but no Benni's special he should be treated differently to the rest of the players who make the effort because he scores goals, ###### same rule for all.

We don't need to shift the whole team, but we do need changes and Benni would be one of mine, for the reasons I have stated.

Edited by Majiball

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Kamy100

Have heard that Benni returned to pre-season training looking lean, mean and fit. Wherever Benni ends up this season I think he will be motivated to do well, score goals and make it impossible for South Africa's coach to leave him out of the World Cup Squad.

I really hope Sam decides to keep hold of him, he is one of the best finishers in the Premier League.

He's still a class act. With our other striking options almost certainy including three 6ft + target men types, it's imperative that we keep Benni. I think he'll be great alongside a work horse who can set things up on a plate for him.

He's still a class act. With our other striking options almost certainy including three 6ft + target men types, it's imperative that we keep Benni. I think he'll be great alongside a work horse who can set things up on a plate for him.

I think, judging by his comments, Benni wants out!!!

I wouldn't read too much into that. He's simply keeping his options open and it wouldn't surprise me if he were annoyed at being on the bench while Chris Samba took his spot in the first team.

The only thing I would say is that his reference to his fellow team-mates might not go down too well.

Edited by tcj_jones

I would be very dissapointed if Benny was to leave, it's been mentioned that he will be hungry this year to get his place back in the South African squad, with this in mind I have a feeling we will be seeing plenty of goals from him.

Thats just Benni being Benni there's nothing in it

Indeed, he has a way of not thinking before he speaks. Any striker, especially one who had been in good scoring form, would be upset at a centre half taking their place. I'd be more worried if he wasn't upset. Benni is just someone who says the things most of us think, but decide not to say because it could be interpreted in a negative way. Everything I've heard points to him being very easy-going though, I doubt we have anything to worry about.

Btw from the pre-season photos, there didn't seem to be more than a dozen or so players there; among them Benni, Samba, Zurab, Reid. Anyone know why they were so few, because I can't really see any logic in who was there and who wasn't?

I wouldn't read too much into that. He's simply keeping his options open and it wouldn't surprise me if he were annoyed at being on the bench while Chris Samba took his spot in the first team.

The only thing I would say is that his reference to his fellow team-mates might not go down too well.

In fairness he's a Champions League winning striker. He's probably right to expect to be picked to play up front before Chris Samba.

I would have thought Sam would have explained the choice to him, but perhaps not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.