BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Other point to bear in mind is that when Benni is in form usually we see the best of other players such as MGP. He draws oppostion defenders and creates space for others. A strong player such as Da Santo with Benni creating space for Dunny to run into the space.

Sam won't allow three forward players with little defensive options though.

Plus with Benni in the team then there is no excuse to sell him in January meaning no cash to spend unless he sells his other saleable assets either Samba or Robinson.

I felt Benni lost a bit of spark when he didn't didn't get his dream move to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea a few summers ago. He's still one of the most skillful players in the squad but has lacked application at times.

If we were to sell any of our strikers in the January window Benni wouldn't be top of my list.

I felt Benni lost a bit of spark when he didn't didn't get his dream move to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea a few summers ago. He's still one of the most skillful players in the squad but has lacked application at times.

If we were to sell any of our strikers in the January window Benni wouldn't be top of my list.

No but we need to raise money to invest in the squad. Selling Jason would not raise enough money to buy a penny chew.

Not to shoot the messenger, but if Dunn has to be part of a 5 man midfield and our strikers aren't playing much as it is, why would we need 2 more?

I think Sam is looking at the current squad and planning to be without Benni, possibly losing Di Santo and with little faith in Roberts - not to mention Kalinic's teething problems.

Two new strikers is the pragmatic wish for January.

If Di Santo stayed that would mean only one more needed.

For all of the sentiment towards Benni it should be recalled that he wasn't fit enough when it counted last season and could not be relied on. The predecessor left him out too.

If he gets little game time and is moved on he only has himself to blame.

• Downvote 2

Two new strikers is the pragmatic wish for January.

If Di Santo stayed that would mean only one more needed.

Is Sam looking at addressing the midfield? Or are we going to be treated to more Keith Andrews in the starting XI?

Is there a reasonable chance that Di Santo might stay?

As always, thanks for the posts.

For all of the sentiment towards Benni it should be recalled that he wasn't fit enough when it counted last season and could not be relied on. The predecessor left him out too.

I recall it was him who scored most of the goals that kept us up. Roberts was missing chances left right and centre, Santa Cruz was crocked and Derbs has been sent out on loan because he wasn't good enough.

Do you know that Allardyce doesn't rate Roberts? He is giving him a lot of game time...

I recall it was him who scored most of the goals that kept us up. Roberts was missing chances left right and centre, Santa Cruz was crocked and Derbs has been sent out on loan because he wasn't good enough.

Do you know that Allardyce doesn't rate Roberts? He is giving him a lot of game time...

He picks the young and on-loan Di Santo ahead of him. Think that says a lot.

And the 'get in the f***ing box' scream at Roberts during the Chelsea game sticks in my memory too.

Is Sam looking at addressing the midfield? Or are we going to be treated to more Keith Andrews in the starting XI?

Is there a reasonable chance that Di Santo might stay?

Meriem is due back in a couple of weeks. I take it they will look at him and see if he can solve a problem. If not it will be a case of looking elsewhere.

The Di Santo thing will be clearer soon. A lot depends on Chelsea getting their signing ban lifted and buying one or two players in that position.

Much as he is a real talent, do you think Chelsea would fancy their chances in the Premier League and Champions League if they had to use him for the seven or eight games when Drogba will be missing.

It's too much of an ask. Hopefully common sense prevails and he stays at Rovers to add to his education and experience.

The kid is an asset for Rovers right now, but really would not make an impact at Chelsea this season.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I

If he gets little game time and is moved on he only has himself to blame.

Exactement.

Poor professional with a poor attitude who does not look after his body properly.

Au revoir et bon chance Benni.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 8

He's got two this season - the same as Benni. In 2009 he's got 9, one more than Benni.

Beattie always looks really up for it though, he always looks likely to score. To answer mhead's question-------Beattie wanted to come here, the manager wanted to buy him but there was no money available.Simple as that.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 4

I'd disagree Paul, Benni is far and away our most skillful player with more ability than most of our squad put together.

What makes me smile is that Andrews and Roberts get so much grief for not being good enough yet they give 100% yet Benni who is good enough by quite a long way gets greif for not trying. SO lets sign a player who combines the two. Wayne Rooney perhaps?!?!? (Thats not aimed at you by the way Paul, I appreciate thats not your point.)

On the second point, the games I've seen Benni play he has show no sign of sulking, especially in the cup game when he let Kalinic score his first goal in English football. Which shows great team ethic and great sportsman ship. IMO.

Taking the bit in bold I agree with you BUT I don't think Benni is the answer in our current formation, I think that's what I said, if not it's what I meant!

• Downvote 1

The kid is an asset for Rovers right now, but really would not make an impact at Chelsea this season.

beg to differ on that Nicko .. he has got the bite of experience and staring position in the Premier now and has not looked out of place with our bunch of misfits.

Given the support he would get from the talent at Chelski never mind just the midlfield - given a starting berth a suspect we would see an even better player.

May not make the impact of Drogba but would certainly receive acclaim imo.

He bagged 9 goals when Sam came in last season. To RSC's 1, and Roberts 6.

Much as he is a real talent, do you think Chelsea would fancy their chances in the Premier League and Champions League if they had to use him for the seven or eight games when Drogba will be missing.

I agree he might not make a massive impact for Chelsea - The Africa Cup of Nations will take place in Angola from January 10-31. They will still have Anelka, Sturridge and attacking midfielders like Deco, Ballack & Joe Cole.

Now no offence to the teams involved but Drogba & Kalou will only miss the following games:

Saturday, 9 January 2010 - Hull v Chelsea, 15:00

Saturday, 16 January 2010 - Chelsea v Sunderland, 15:00

Wednesday, 27 January 2010 - Chelsea v Birmingham, 19:45

Saturday, 30 January 2010 - Burnley v Chelsea, 15:00

Di Santo should stay!

Edited by Hughesy
  • Downvote 1

He showed unprofessionalism when he was unfit and overweight last season but despite doubts over his fitness he scores goals. He is a proven goalscorer in this league.

The main problem is that Dunny is in superb form so he has to keep him behind the lone striker and Benni can’t play the lone striker role. But we all know that Dunny is unlikely to stay fit all season and with us not having another player to play the ‘Dunny role’ its likely we will switch to a 4-4-2, a formation that Benni can play in.

Considering our resources and the likelihood of money being swallowed from any deal plus the wage budget needed to being trimmed I can’t see us coming out better off with such a deal.

I’d rather keep Benni and look to offload Roberts, Pedersen and maybe a few others.

Benni is without doubt the best finisher at the club and IMO one of the best finishers in the premiership. The problem with him, is not only his fitness and mental state, but also the fact that he can not play a lone target man role. He requires a partner, who will do all the donkey work- Sam obviously doesn’t fancy any of his strikers apart from Di Santo.

Therefore whilst Sam is in charge it will probably be best to sell Benni, but with caveat attached- that whatever is generated in terms of funds/wages will be given back to the manager. As it would be pretty pointless to sell a player with Benni's undoubted qualities and be scratching around looking for cheap loans.

We only have to look at the disaster that was last summers dealings, when Sam sold circa 28 millions pounds worth of players yet was given a budget of only 12 million in return.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Can i also add

BFS spent ALL summer looking for a striker, totally overlooked every other position and how weak we were all over the pitch (bar right back, he loves us wasting what little wage budget we have on right backs). And now it gets to Jan and the only striker at the club Sam is quite keen on is Di Santo, who is a loanee and back down south come january.

And now because he only wants to play his negative anti football crap we play with one striker so dunn can play off him and carry the whole team. 3.5million for a striker who has consistantly scored goals in this league.... about as much of a farce as Julie playing week in week out and Sam thinking he can be the next United manager...

Beggers belief it really is... Im sure half the people who post on here could be doing a better job at this moment in time.

Edited by MeanGreenMachine
  • Downvote 2

Can i also add

BFS spent ALL summer looking for a striker, totally overlooked every other position and how weak we were all over the pitch (bar right back, he loves us wasting what little wage budget we have on right backs). And now it gets to Jan and the only striker at the club Sam is quite keen on is Di Santo, who is a loanee and back down south come january.

And now because he only wants to play his negative anti football crap we play with one striker so dunn can play off him and carry the whole team. 3.5million for a striker who has consistantly scored goals in this league.... about as much of a farce as Julie playing week in week out and Sam thinking he can be the next United manager...

Beggers belief it really is... Im sure half the people who post on here could be doing a better job at this moment in time.

I wouldn't mind Allardyce managing United at all... :D

On a more serious note, if he sends Benni away and brings someone in on loan, our whole strike force will be consisting of Jason Roberts and Kalinic at the end of the season. Lovely.

Agree 100%.Cant believe he will sell McCarthy before Roberts! :angry2:

C'mon SG (and others) use the old grey matter. Benny has intimated that he wants to go and to the best of my knowledge Jason Roberts hasn't! How the hell can we sell Roberts (or anyone else for that matter) if he decides to stay and see out his contract? This isn't 'Premiership manager' you know.

Amazing how people come on here and scream about a lack of loyalty of our players when they choose to transfer out. Ex players get Judas Neill / One greedy barsteward / etc etc yet as soon as someone like Roberts / Ped / has a drop in form we have to rip up his contract and bundle him out of the door asap. ffs! :rolleyes:

He showed unprofessionalism when he was unfit and overweight last season but despite doubts over his fitness he scores goals. He is a proven goalscorer in this league.

The main problem is that Dunny is in superb form so he has to keep him behind the lone striker and Benni can’t play the lone striker role. But we all know that Dunny is unlikely to stay fit all season and with us not having another player to play the ‘Dunny role’ its likely we will switch to a 4-4-2, a formation that Benni can play in.

Considering our resources and the likelihood of money being swallowed from any deal plus the wage budget needed to being trimmed I can’t see us coming out better off with such a deal.

I’d rather keep Benni and look to offload Roberts, Pedersen and maybe a few others.

Well done that man........ An island of common sense in a sea of idiocy.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 3

C'mon SG (and others) use the old grey matter. Benny has intimated that he wants to go and to the best of my knowledge Jason Roberts hasn't! How the hell can we sell Roberts (or anyone else for that matter) if he decides to stay and see out his contract? This isn't 'Premiership manager' you know.

Amazing how people come on here and scream about a lack of loyalty of our players when they choose to transfer out. Ex players get Judas Neill / One greedy barsteward / etc etc yet as soon as someone like Roberts / Ped / has a drop in form we have to rip up his contract and bundle him out of the door asap. ffs! :rolleyes:

Not sure it's quite that black and white Theno. Right at this moment in time would you be calling Roberts or Pedersen into your office to discuss their next Rovers contract? Or would you be making calls to agents to find buyers and leaning on your scouts to find replacements?

Not sure it's quite that black and white Theno. Right at this moment in time would you be calling Roberts or Pedersen into your office to discuss their next Rovers contract? Or would you be making calls to agents to find buyers and leaning on your scouts to find replacements?

It's not me that is suggesting it is black and white. It's all the others who think we can cherry pick players contracts.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.