BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Roberts has an inflated opinion of himself for someone who can't trap a ball, head a ball or finish. He has been getting far too much game time and can go in January for all I care. He did what he should do on Saturday, he is a decent substitute at best and shouldn't be starting games.

Benni should stay, still the best finisher at the club.

• Like 6

• Backroom

Roberts proved on Saturday he can be a decent impact sub at times, never good enough to start though.

We have to keep Benni and find a place for him imo.

In theory in the summer or even January we could be in a situation where our only senior striker is the unproven Kalinic :S

Roberts has an inflated opinion of himself for someone who can't trap a ball, head a ball or finish. He has been getting far too much game time and can go in January for all I care. He did what he should do on Saturday, he is a decent substitute at best and shouldn't be starting games.

Must have missed something - everybody is going on about how Benni is the best finisher, changed the game etc etc. It was Roberts who scored two goals and changed the game. For me McCarthy did what he does best - an odd glimpse of skill (setting up the goal) totally under-mined by silly back-flicks that gave the ball away too easily. Against a half decent team we would have been punished by McCarthy's inability to hold up the ball - and ill'advised flicks.

Also strange looking back at the game - thought Dunn had his poorest match of the season - but he still had an input into all the goals.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Correct. He's always had a hissy fit and threatened to leave when he's been dropped. He must be so thick that he cannot see that all his best press reports are when he has come off the bench as sub or come back into the starting line up for some reason. Does his contract allow him to leave in Jan? If he does go then Benny will have to stay.

Im so tired of this now. The players we want to see stay, wants to leave. And those we want to see leave, have no intention about leaving. If Sam sells Benni, then he better have a good replacement lined up or else ###### is going to hit the fan.

Ramsey ditched the wingers and effectively played 4-3-3 with 3 strikers. He was derided for his team of 'wingless wonders' until Bobby Moore lifted the World Cup that is. Yesterday 2nd half SA did the same.

Amen theno. We should only play wingers when we have players who can play the wing position. We don't, so we should line up differently (taken from the Duh book of football coaching).

Personally I don't care who we play in the striker roles just don't leave him/them isolated and alone up front. Benny is a great player but only when he decides he wants to play, no use owning the world's greatest car if you drive it around like a 2CV. Jason is worth his place which IMO is on the bench. Di Santo starts every game for me but then he's going so we need to replace him. Kalinic I'm hoping will turn out OK, his cameos have looked good so far, Sam is protecting him and giving him time to grow into the role and not fear his 6M price tag, which is a good thing.

Strikers will come and go, who cares whether they're called The Tank, Slasher or whatever, they can do no worse than our current efforts on goal total. The real issue is that having to replace strikers is a distraction from the main task in hand which surely has to be about sorting the midfield positions out in January. On that count alone Benny and Jason's outbursts are unwelcome.

Diamond formation anybody?

-----------Di Santo-----Roberts

------------------McCarthy

-----------Dunn-----------Emerton

-------------------NZonzi

Givet----Samba-----Nelsen----Chimbonda

-----------------Robinson

Don't be silly, Joey, we'd be in danger of being a real threat, then.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Sam needs to look at McCartheys stats he scores every other game.

Yes hes lazy but so are many other players and as long as he put the ball in the back of the net he can be as lazy as he likes.

Selling him would be a disaster unless we found a good replacment (which is unlikley with our non existent funding) who could we rely on Klanic isn't good enough (Sams words) roberts has never been a goal scorer, Junior is to young to be a lone striker and Di Santo is off back to chelsea

I think the problem with Benni is that he's not fit enough for Sam's standards. But also seems to think he doesn't need to get any fitter because he's so talented.

In an interview; Sam said that he doesn't doubt Benni's ability or skill, it's just his professionalism and fitness that is being questioned.

Edited by super_arran

I think the problem with Benni is that he's not fit enough for Sam's standards. But also seems to think he doesn't need to get any fitter because he's so talented.

In an interview; Sam said that he doesn't doubt Benni's ability or skill, it's just his professionalism and fitness that is being questioned.

Well it makes me wonder, if that is what Sam thinks - why didn't he sell him last january? When supposedly Sunderland were after him for a grand fee. He could have used the money to bring in his darling, Kevin Davies.

Well it makes me wonder, if that is what Sam thinks - why didn't he sell him last january? When supposedly Sunderland were after him for a grand fee. He could have used the money to bring in his darling, Kevin Davies.

He probably thought that Benni would try his hardest to get fit and help the team out in times of need.

But; he didn't, he became even more unfit during the arse end of last season and couldn't be relied on.

It still baffles me on how a "professional athlete" can become unfit during a season. (injuries a side)

I think that says a lot about what kind of mentality Benni has and it sums up how much he actually cares for the football club as a whole.

Edited by super_arran

Spot on. Benni might be unfit, but he's the only striker who has that bit of magic and can be relied upon to stick the ball in the net. Loosing Benni would not help Sam win over the fans at all.

Roberts proved on Saturday he can be a decent impact sub at times, never good enough to start though.

We have to keep Benni and find a place for him imo.

In theory in the summer or even January we could be in a situation where our only senior striker is the unproven Kalinic :S

This is my big worry. That we're left short up front. Equally depressing would be seeing 3/4 Heskey type forwards on the books as our strikers, big powerhouses who can do the physical side of the game, but struggle to score regularly.

Not saing there isn't room for one of them in our squad, but the way I see it going, especially if Benni goes, is that we can kiss plan B goodbye altogether.

Obviously he couldn't or that would be what he would have done, unless of course through newness he thought he might have been able to motivate Benny into acting professionally.

Benni speaking today to SA Press:

McCarthy said he would be looking for a transfer in January. "In my opinion I am better than what we have at Rovers, but unfortunately the manager (Sam Allardyce) prefers a different style of players.

"I am not the type of player he wants and that is why I am not playing."

He stressed, however, he had no hard feelings towards Rovers or Allardyce. He also said he was honoured to be linked with a move to Portsmouth.

"Portsmouth are going through a bad patch but are still a top side," McCarthy said. "I have discussed them with Aaron Mokoena (the Bafana captain who plays for Portsmouth) and at this stage it is still a rumour. There are other clubs in England and Europe that have shown interest in me."

He probably thought that Benni would try his hardest to get fit and help the team out in times of need.

But; he didn't, he became even more unfit during the arse end of last season and couldn't be relied on.

It still baffles me on how a "professional athlete" can become unfit during a season. (injuries a side)

I think that says a lot about what kind of mentality Benni has and it sums up how much he actually cares for the football club as a whole.

This is being repeated so often it's turning into an urban myth. McCarthy wasn't unfit and his fitness didn't deteriorate during last season. Allardyce played a 6 foot 7 defender in his position - end of.

As he's said to the press today, he's not the type of player Allardyce wants. Which is a crying shame, because he's a very talented player, fantastic to watch and he scores goals - if a manager is able to use him properly.

I suspect that if (when) he does leave in January, what arrives as a replacement will not have a fraction of Benni's ability or get near his goalscoring record at Rovers.

Not happy. sad.gif

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

This is being repeated so often it's turning into an urban myth. McCarthy wasn't unfit and his fitness didn't deteriorate during last season. Allardyce played a 6 foot 7 defender in his position - end of.

As he's said to the press today, he's not the type of player Allardyce wants. Which is a crying shame, because he's a very talented player, fantastic to watch and he scores goals - if a manager is able to use him properly.

I suspect that if (when) he does leave in January, what arrives as a replacement will not have a fraction of Benni's ability or get near his goalscoring record at Rovers.

Not happy. sad.gif

so his double chin and pot belly must have be an urban myth as well then.......

Edited by super_arran

Hands up all those who think McCarthy constantly wandering offside because he cannot do basics such as look along the opposition backline, failing to make runs into gaping holes in defences and generally looking as if he could not care less, is "fantastic to watch".

• Like 1
  • Downvote 7

Not happy. sad.gif

A 6' 7" player who will give 100% week in week out.

He was good to watch for part of the second half on Saturday, had he started you wouldn't have seen that sort of performance.

Edited by unluckymorton
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Hang on...weren't Samba and McCarthy playing together last season? We did try McCarthy on his own up there (when all our other strikers were injured) and he was rubbish, so we put Samba up there for him to play off. I don't see the problem with that, it got us out of trouble.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.