BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I think people are being rather blinded by Saturday, Roberts and Benni showed us what they CAN do not what they WILL do week in week out. Benni drove the majority of fans mad when he played regularly last season, always offside, sulking when a pass didn't land at his feet, never chasing the ball down to put defender under pressure, or is it just me that remembers? Yes he scored goals when he first arrived when he looked considerably more interested and in shape.

Edited by cesus
  • Like 2

I think people are being rather blinded by Saturday, Roberts and Benni showed us what they CAN do not what they WILL do week in week out. Benni drove the majority of fans mad when he played regularly last season, always offside, sulking when a pass didn't land at his feet, never chasing the ball down to put defender under pressure, or is it just me that remembers? Yes he scored goals when he first arrived when he looked considerably more interested and in shape.

I agree, when Benni is in the mood he is superb but since Chelsea turned his head a couple of summers back he hasn't been the same player. Its not just Allardyce that has left him out either because he was in and out the team when Hughes was in charge and ince didn't play him much.

You could tell that Benni and Roberts had a point to prove on Saturday but when they start games and they are in their comfort zones they don't seem to have the same impact.

• Like 1

I'd swap Benni for Tuncay at Stoke, he fell out with Pulis before the game at Hull on Sunday, he is looking to offload him in Jan, Fenerbahce are interested in a loan deal, I wanted Tuncay in the summer, he is there for the taking big Sam! He is only 27 as well, he could play up front,or just off the front man or wide left.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

Benni speaking today to SA Press:

McCarthy said he would be looking for a transfer in January. "In my opinion I am better than what we have at Rovers, but unfortunately the manager (Sam Allardyce) prefers a different style of players.

"I am not the type of player he wants and that is why I am not playing."

He stressed, however, he had no hard feelings towards Rovers or Allardyce. He also said he was honoured to be linked with a move to Portsmouth.

"Portsmouth are going through a bad patch but are still a top side," McCarthy said. "I have discussed them with Aaron Mokoena (the Bafana captain who plays for Portsmouth) and at this stage it is still a rumour. There are other clubs in England and Europe that have shown interest in me."

Well, unless BFS has someone better than Benni McCarthy lined up (who that would be I have no idea), he better do everything to convince him to stay.

Players like Benni do my head in, we bought him when he was in a similar situation at Porto, we pay him a very high wage, we took a gamble on him, and in my eyes after his Chelsea dream went down the pan, he has not being putting the work in, he has been weight, and unfit. Then he gets back in the frame with South Africa (because who else do they have) as soon as he leaves the UK he opens his big mouth, If Sam doesn't want to sell him we should keep him, he would soon put the effort in after January as he is desperate to play in the world cup, he doesn't care one bit about Rovers!

• Downvote 3

I'd swap Benni for Tuncay at Stoke, he fell out with Pulis before the game at Hull on Sunday, he is looking to offload him in Jan, Fenerbahce are interested in a loan deal, I wanted Tuncay in the summer, he is there for the taking big Sam! He is only 27 as well, he could play up front,or just off the front man or wide left.

He's only been there 5 minutes!

I can't believe that we are looking to sell Benni. Benni represents the type of football we should be playing, keep more on the floor. If Dunn is as talented as big sam suggests, then he should fit in well to a team playing with the ball on the deck!

4-5-1 doesn't give us a chance, particularly at home. And it was the reason we have got turned over so easily away from home, look how deep we played - we had no intention to test their defence and pressure the ball! Very Frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4-5-1 doesn't give us a chance, particularly at home.

How can you say that given our home form this year? Your statement is factually incorrect.

For some reason the first 45 minutes against Portsmouth are worth more than 270 minutes against Wolves, Aston Villa and the Dingles for a lot of people on here. I don't understand it at all.

• Like 1

How about our away form?

Wolves are a poor opposition, and showed it against us.

Dingles was about the attitude of the players, and that was fantastic.

We did play well against Villa in parts, - and what about West Ham at home, I remember cries off 'attack, attack'. West Ham was a case of points lost in my opinion, we didn't take the game to them.

We also have the leakiest defence in the premiership, so maybe we should defend from the front, at least put a bit of pressure on them higher up the pitch. 4-5-1 invites too much pressure for us, I'm sure of it.

How about our away form?

Wolves are a poor opposition, and showed it against us.

Dingles was about the attitude of the players, and that was fantastic.

We did play well against Villa in parts, - and what about West Ham at home, I remember cries off 'attack, attack'. West Ham was a case of points lost in my opinion, we didn't take the game to them.

We also have the leakiest defence in the premiership, so maybe we should defend from the front, at least put a bit of pressure on them higher up the pitch. 4-5-1 invites too much pressure for us, I'm sure of it.

Wolves are poor opposition - but the formation worked

Burnley was about attitude - plus the formation allowed us to win

Played well in parts against Villa - well again, the formation didnt hinder us

West Ham - could have been our 'attitude' and not the formation.

Away form - Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal away from home in one month. Also explains the goal ratio.

451 can work. My objections to it are that it relies to heavily on Dunn playing a blinder. 442 will allow us to play poorly and win. that is its huge advantage. We know Benni can work very well with Roberts up front and id like to see Sam start with that next time out.

Yeah I see what you are saying, defo, and I think it's a problem that we would rely on Dunn having a blinder. What if he doesn't? What if he gets injured, he is injury prone after all!

I think thats what I'm trying to get across, we give ourselves more of a chance playing 4-4-2.

I'm just not a fan of the 4-5-1. I too would like to see Robert's and McCarthy start next time.

Edited by roversactive

I can understand playing 4-5-1 away from home. But when we are at Ewood I would like to see us going with a 4-4-2 formation. Dunn could have a free role in the midfield, with Emerton, N'Zonzi and Grella covering the rest of the midfield. Pedersen and Diouf have been totally useless this seas and I don't see us missing them. I would like to see how Benni and Di Santo would play together. Benni is the best finisher at the club and someone like that shouldn't be easily let go.

Tris etc....... I like watching Benny. He is a very naturally gifted footballer and can make the game look easy. BUT his is frustrating and if I dared to think how much he gets paid DIVIDED BY MINUTES HE SPENDS ON THE PITCH IT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY OBSCENE!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Isn't that statement valid of any PL player, theno?

Bit of a sidetrack from the Benni issue, but where does a team like Rovers draw the line between not wasting wages on highly paid (possibly even non-playing) substitutes and having quality in squad depth to compete in the league we're in?

Tris etc....... I like watching Benny. He is a very naturally gifted footballer and can make the game look easy. BUT his is frustrating and if I dared to think how much he gets paid DIVIDED BY MINUTES HE SPENDS ON THE PITCH IT WOULD BE ABSOLUTELY OBSCENE!

But he doesn't exactly decide to leave himself out, does he?

And a poor-form Benni is still more useful than a poor-form Roberts or even Santa Cruz.

Well, unless BFS has someone better than Benni McCarthy lined up (who that would be I have no idea), he better do everything to convince him to stay.

So how do we keep a player at our club who doesn't want to play for us? Contracts mean nothing so don't play that card.

If Benni wants to go let him go, he blow's hot and cold and only really shows us what he can do when he comes on as sub.

Sam has said that he can go if we find a replacement and the money is right. I don't have an issue with that at all. We need players who want to play for the club.

But he doesn't exactly decide to leave himself out, does he?

And a poor-form Benni is still more useful than a poor-form Roberts or even Santa Cruz.

His attitude makes him unpickable. No problem at the moment because he wants to play in the World Cup, when that's over he will return to type. The manager obviously has had a long look at him since he was appointed and clearly doesn't like what he has seen.If someome stumps up the cash in January he is off.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 3

I think Tuncay could be either a quality signing or a p!ss poor one - yes there is no doubt he has talent but I sometimes doubt his desire, and the fact he has already fallen out at Stoke seems poor.

As for Benni - its the same as always for me - Give him chances and he will score...its as simple as that! I also think if we can keep Benni he will be great to improve the technical ability/ thinking of players like Kalinic.

I suppose January all comes down to other clubs and what they are willing to offer.....Its clear that offers for Benni, Roberts & Pedersen would probably be considered.

I don't really get where Benni is coming from with his comments regarding not fitting into the formation. Even Sam said in the post-match interview why Benni isn't playing - he is clearly, and has been for a while, unfit(ter than normal).

I have to say that if this fitness is down to him and he's not pulling his weight ( :lol:pardon the pun ) yet earning big bucks then should he not be sacked? If I was getting paid that much by you as the fans then I'd certainly want to repay you by getting my arse in gear at the very least.

He's great when he pulls his socks up ( :lol: ) but he basically hasn't featured because of his own doing.

He's admitted he's out of shape and that he needs to improve. Now that his mate (Alan Mokoena) has left he thinks the grass will be greener at Pompey! He's trying to make out that Sam is pushing him out when that's clearly not the case.

He's obviously not willing to prove his worth so let him go, we've seen far better players than Benni come and go in the past, he'll be forgotten about in no time.

Edited by unluckymorton

His attitude makes him unpickable. No problem at the moment because he wants to play in the World Cup, when that's over he will return to type. The manager obviously has had a long look at him since he was appointed and clearly doesn't like what he has seen.If someome stumps up the cash in January he is off.

The manager has also had a long look at Keith Andrews and decided to play him in nearly every game so far...

The manager has also had a long look at Keith Andrews and decided to play him in nearly every game so far...

Maybe Keith has a better attitude towards training than others? Sam obviously see's something in Keith that he doesn't see in Benni.

That something could be either work rate, attitude or commitment. Possibly all three.

Edited by unluckymorton

Maybe Keith has a better attitude towards training than others? Sam obviously see's something in Keith that he doesn't see in Benni.

That something could be either work rate, attitude or commitment. Possibly all three.

And the only thing missing would be footballing talent and any sort of contribution to our game? Something which the majority of fans have bemoaned almost every single game he has played for us? I don't know what Sam is seeing in training, but on the field (where it matters) it is crazy to believe Andrews is more useful than McCarthy.

Now that Emerton is back - Andrews looks like he will probably get some time on the bench. Im sure if Reid makes it back and Dunn stays fit then his chances will become even more limited. It all depends on them 3 staying fit!

Whether Benni runs around like a headless chicken or not does not matter - what matters is that he gives us a serious goal threat and he seems to have that natural goalscoring ability - something that we wont find around for cheaper.....BENNI Needs to be given another chance by Sam.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.