BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I actually thought the article was very positive for Sam and Benni isn't getting it. Benni's convicting himself out of his own mouth. He admits that:

1. Sam is a decent guy.

2. Benni hasn't met Sam's weight and conditioning goals and that it is his fault.

3. Sam is still playing him.

4. Sam is scheduling him for extra training.

Agree 100% - the guy is being paid a fortune, and is overweight, so he has been given extra training to shed the pounds, whats the problem?

Should we feel sorry for Benni because he doesn't feel loved? Maybe if he lost the extra weight he could do more on the pitch?

It's not good that this has come out in the press though. As for selling him it would be madness - surely someone wants world-class Jason Roberts instead (am willing to drive to destination)?

• Like 2

Surprised at the anger towards Sam, my reaction to that article was to be angry with Benni.

He talks about how important this season is to him and how he needs to be playing regular football, yet he can't be arsed to get himself into shape? He's taking the ###### - a professional athlete earning millions per year shouldn't have a problem with keeping in shape.

• Like 2

It is no secret that Sam has wanted Benni out. It seems the weight issue is going to be the way of forcing the issue.

Forcing him in for extra training after two games in three days seems excessive even if fitness issues are of concern.

A parting of the ways will probably be best for all concerned to prevent any bad blood developing and causing issues with team morale.

I am pro Benni and always have been - but reading that article I agree with what Sam is doing. He's telling him he's a top player, he's basically saying sort your fitness out and your a starter - only Benni can do that.

I actually thought the article was very positive for Sam and Benni isn't getting it. Benni's convicting himself out of his own mouth. He admits that:

1. Sam is a decent guy.

2. Benni hasn't met Sam's weight and conditioning goals and that it is his fault.

3. Sam is still playing him.

4. Sam is scheduling him for extra training.

From Benni's words, I get the impression that Sam values Benni, sees Benni's potential and is trying to get Benni to realize that potential. That Benni is whining about it shows a lack of professionalism on his part, not Sam's. Benni's paid 35,000/week (per one of Alan Nixon's recent articles). Forgive me if I fail to sympathize with him about Sam's demand that he report to training at 7 am.

Spot on Smoss

Todays news -

Meanwhile, Birmingham manager Alex McLeish is also planning a £2m move for Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy.

Full story: The Sun

I saw the same on sky sports dingles. What are they going on about?! A tiny bit of research by sky could have told them the booing was for sam taking him off - not in any way aimed at benni.

Its just Lazy.

To be fair to both Benni & Hoilett though, neither applauded the fans, so maybe they too felt it was aimed at them?!

Not quite sure which way to go on this.

If Benni has consistently failed to meet weight targets and get himself fit enough that's his fault.

Nevertheless dragging him in on his own at 7am seems a bit excessive, there must be better ways of going about it , like insisting he stay behind for extra work after the normal training is done.

It does now look as though a parting of the ways is inevitable which could turn out to be a huge mistake given the paucity of our other striking options.

What's 2m going to get us anyway?

£2m isnt enough anyway - surely £4m has to be the price we set.

Nothing wrong with getting him in early - you need to look at ways to mix your bodys system up and get it working different to burn off the calories - to me Sam is doing it right - get him in early, probably before he's eaten too much and get him working on an empty stomach - then go and have some breaky with the rest at 9 and then back out for another session later......

Get the metabolism pumping and get more pounds off quicker

He does need to pick up his fitness though. Sam could have done and handled things differently though .

A good end to the season for Benni MaCarthy in Blackburn Rovers colours. Then off to the world cup as home grown idol of the world cup, i'd have thought would have been excellent PR for the club or am I getting this all wrong .

At first reading this story seems awful but scratch the surface. Benny owes it not only to BRFC but also to SA and his own reputation and himself to get into peak physical condition for the World Cup. If he plays a starring role he will be forever remembered all his life as a hero, if he bombs in the heat through being in poor physical shape he becomes tomorrows chip paper. I'm damned sure that Allardyce has made him fully aware of that even if Benny did not mention it or the reporter chose to ignore it. Allardyce is not Old Nick he is a football man who feels the need to crack the whip over Benny's head. If he's given him until Christmas to get into shape and he hasn't then what else can he do apart from have his gums wired?

Edited by thenodrog

Nevertheless dragging him in on his own at 7am seems a bit excessive, there must be better ways of going about it , like insisting he stay behind for extra work after the normal training is done.

:blink: Whats the difference? Except this way he prob has to skip breakfast. Ifn fact thats prob what's behind Benny's outburst! :lol:

One point here, Allardyce, if these comments are true is really putting his head on the block and must simply have a player ready to come in and fill the gap !!

If this goes wrong he leaves himself wide open so I do feel he has an option available to him!!

I really hope so.

Edited by Kelbo

I do think that we need to keep hold of Benni. Even though he has only scored one league goal all season, I would have more faith in him adding to his tally than any of our other strikers at the moment. I don't see how he can be complaining about playing time at the moment though. He has started the last 5 out of 6 games if I'm not mistaken and has played a large majority of minutes in those games. So he can't say that he isn't getting much game time. If by his own words, he's overweight, then it is down to him to lose it. If he is being bought in earlier than everyone else to do work, then it's because of this and not because he's playing worse than anyone else. This idea of needing to be loved again is total balls. If he scored more goals and won us more games, then I'm sure people would be happier. I doubt we could get more than £2 million for him anyway and what is that going to buy us?

I agree with Allardyce over this. McCarthy is all talk, if you can't get yourself in shape to do your job you aren't worth having. His performances in 90% of his appearances are average at best.

Bye Benni.

If we had a wide range of other potential goalscoring options available to us then I could understand Allardyce forcing the issue here, but when we have nobody else capable of putting the ball in the net and no option to buy anyone who just might be able to then it does strike me as ridiculous to get rid of the one man we have who can definitely score, given the chances.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.