BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Quite right. Why would you be one bit angry with Benni? Apart from continually turning up, year after year, overweight. Were you similarly "not one bit angry with Benni" when he was speaking to the press about his desire to move to Chelsea before having a good half-year long sulk when it didn't happen?

This year he has failed to make the weight targetting agreements made with Sam. Those are his words in the article and not those of anybody else. Then he goes to the press to complain about unfair treatment when the treatment, as we can see from HIS words, is utterly fair.

Good that you are "not one bit angry with Benni" however I think all fair minded fans will think that, as this has happened year after year, then it is HE who has the problem and needs to sort himself out.

Whatever has happened in the past has happened. No one can dismiss him inching for a move to Chelsea. The same has been true by all our previous stars and they have left and the same will be true soon enough by people like Samba. That is the reality of modern football.

What I suggested in my original post did not dismiss anything about his weight, but when you have performed rather "well" over your last 4-5 games which you have started and last for almost 90 minutes in all of them, and to be hauled into 7am training on the back of that match, on your own, then YES I find that unfair or at least uncalled for in the circumstances. Maybe he should call in Robinson for some jumping practice, Andrews for some passing practice, and Roberts for the rubbish he produced for some effort practice too.

I agreed with publicly questioning him a week or two ago, but this move will not get any positive reaction in the benefit of Blackburn Rovers. And that is what matters most. I think Benni had been on the right track as his performances on the pitch had shown in the last few games and Sam's initial psychology had worked. But this just ends all the work in my eyes and was counter-productive.

Edited by Bobby G
  • Like 3

What I suggested in my original post did not dismiss anything about his weight, but when you have performed rather "well" over your last 4-5 games which you have started and last for almost 90 minutes in all of them, and to be hauled into 7am training on the back of that match, on your own, then YES I find that unfair or at least uncalled for in the circumstances. Maybe he should call in Robinson for some jumping practice, Andrews for some passing practice, and Roberts for the rubbish he produced for some effort practice too.

Well...those are hardly the same things as being out of physical shape are they? Something that is the very basic requirement of his job.

I'd hope the other players are giving extra training too on their weak areas. However fitness is not just something to be worked on. It is a necessity as part of his job.

Seems like Benni is using this as an excuse to engineer a move. How else do you explain him running to the press about it days before the transfer window opens?

Maybe it could have been handled better. However, even if it had been, Benni would most likely have found something else to complain so as to let everybody know he was available. Interesting how it is seemingly common knowledge that 3 other clubs want him. Perhaps his agent has been touting his availability around already?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

McCarthy is an important player to us, in that he's the best finisher at the club and tries to link the midfield to attack. However, he's conducted himself unprofessionally, and if he really wants to make his WC dream come true he would lose weight and get on with training (be it 7am call ins or not).

• Backroom

Well the majority of them are missing the most important target - the goal on the pitch! Get 'em all in early until we start performing properly for 90 minutes. It's the least they can do for 30+k a week, really.

I've thought about the situation long and hard and it's definitely most unfair. The squad should jolly well all be in early as far as I'm concerned.

Everybody should all be in early because Benni is continually overweight and missing weight targets presumably he himself agreed to with the club in the past? How is that "unfair" exactly?

While I agree they should all be in as they have been rubbish recently it does not mean the treatment of Benni is unfair.

I think this has allowed Benni an excuse to run to the papers and blab thereby setting up a move yet remaining popular at the same time. Our more trusting, some might say naive, fans will believe him and use it to slag off the manager. Whereby Benni has got what he really wanted - a move, nice signing-on fee and a manager who will more easily put up with a lack of fitness while selling the club-himself short - and yet the fans will all blame the boss. This despite being a player who has now had, ahem, "issues" with at least his last 4 managers.

What I would really like is Benni to come out and say that he is going to stick it out, get fit and repay the fans at both Rovers, where his under contract as well paid handsomely, % South Africa, whom he has boycotted at times, by getting fit and regularly scoring thereby showing his manager just what he is made off. Oh and not to run to the papers every time he scores one league goal in half a year or so.

Is that too much to ask? Or are some of our fans such pushovers for anybody with a few fancy flicks that they are happy for someone to sell the club short year after year not only in turns of fitness but in terms of going to the press about a move. Every season pretty much there has been something like this. That is all Sam's fault and not Benni's how?

Whatever has happened in the past has happened. No one can dismiss him inching for a move to Chelsea.

Didn't he himself admit in an interview that he himself was not in the right mood for 6 months or so after it falling through?

Half a season and he hadn't got over it?!? How old is he and how much did Rovers pay him in that time?

As far as I recall Chelsea, in the end, decided not to actual put in a bid so it was not as if Rovers actually turned it down was it? Just that they weren't going to allow their then star man to go cheaply.

Whatever...it is time Benni really started paying back Rovers and a couple of alright performances on the pitch are not enough. Physical fitness, professional application and saying positive things to the press instead moaning about his lot being those things.

• Like 1

I've thought about the situation long and hard and it's definitely most unfair. The squad should jolly well all be in early as far as I'm concerned.

But the thing is, No other player is continually missing their weight targets.

Spot on Arran - its not the performances he's being punished for, its simply because he tires too quickly due to not meeting his weight targets.....only Benni can fix that, so we are working him harder to give him a push towards it! :tu:

While I agree they should all be in as they have been rubbish recently it does not mean the treatment of Benni is unfair.

Some of our players are simply not good enough. That’s not to say they cannot improve but there is only so much you can do.

Benni has the talent and quality, we know that. However, clearly he has problems with keeping his weight to a adequate/required level as it appears to fluctuate throughout the season (sometimes he looks leaner than other occasions).

I rem a programme about the great Liverpool teams under Shanks and Paisley and the first job on each and every Monday morning at 10am at the training ground was to stand on the scales and be weighed. Anybody over the weight that they were supposed to be had to do extra training and wear a bin bag with holes cut in next to their skin to help em sweat the surplus weight off in training.

Maybe time to introduce that again?

Might also be time to introduce proper training methods too. All I see on the TV at various training grounds around the country are players in 3 layers of clothing and the now customary pair od gloves, chatting to each other and doing nothing more strenuous than the occasional tap up's. I'm sure that there must be tougher training but somewhat perplexingly I never see it.

Interesting how people think body mass and fitness are the same thing, they aint.

Interesting how people think Benni seems to rely on his fitness as a footballer, he doesn't.

Benni is overweight and unfit and has been since the beginning of last season. All players rely on their fitness. If he was fitter he would be able to run faster and for longer and would be a more effective player. He hasn't spent his whole career ambling around at walking pace, he used to be pretty quick.

Well the majority of them are missing the most important target - the goal on the pitch! Get 'em all in early until we start performing properly for 90 minutes. It's the least they can do for 30+k a week, really.

Its shocking isn't it...for 30k a Week I would happily start at 5am every day of the week no question asked.

They just dont realise how lucky they are.

• Like 1

Benni is overweight and unfit and has been since the beginning of last season. All players rely on their fitness. If he was fitter he would be able to run faster and for longer and would be a more effective player. He hasn't spent his whole career ambling around at walking pace, he used to be pretty quick.

Again, body mass and fitness are 2 different things. Benni has never relied on speed or stamina. And from what ive watched these past few games now he is getting his match fitness back he is looking sharper every week.

I am fairly certain that this piece of new is a lie, but if it's not that Fat Sam can go stuff himself and never step foot inside Ewood Park again. Benni McCarthy has done a hell of a lot more for the club than Fat Sam.

It really would be absolute scandalous if we lose the best striker at our club because of BFS. None the least because the two strikers he has brought in - Kalinic and Di Santo have scored 1 goal between them all season.

Again, I very much believe/hope this is not true.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.