BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Squad Would You Select?

well, I seem to remember from watching Rovers in most games this season that Ooijer is playing right center. Although it doesn't matter at all for just suggesting a line-up, and I wasn't thinking of this at all tbh when I wrote this line up

You're right

Ooijer has been playing right centre and Zurab Left

So RTM you pick a team that includes a player who is currently out on loan at Crewe and then single someone out for having the 2 centre halfs the wrong way around... an you're wrong on that one as well!!!

You do like to shoot yourself in the foot occasionally don't you

I'm surprised so many are dropping Benni to be honest. I just think he is one of the few players we have that has the ability to do something special, to get something from nothing and personally I think that players like that need to stay on, even though they might have had a few lackluster games recently.

well, I seem to remember from watching Rovers in most games this season that Ooijer is playing right center. Although it doesn't matter at all for just suggesting a line-up, and I wasn't thinking of this at all tbh when I wrote this line up

RTM doesnt watch the games though, he watches Teletext.

Interesting thread this one with so many different views on the formation and/or selection problems

For me the defence have coped well enough, even though we have leaked goals and more often than not it comes from our left flank, Gray is past it, jay is not quite fast enough or experienced enough to cope with the Premiership speedsters.

We have manure next up, a frightening thought due to their current form. So how does Rovers defence cope with the upcoming United strikerforce of Rooney and Saha, Giggs and Scholes ?

Clearly, the right and left flanks need plugging.

I would go for the following defensive formation.

RB Todd

CB Zurab

CB Andre

LB Neill

To back up this foursome, I would suggest a five man midfield playing with a holding defensive central midfielder directly in front of the back four

Emerton/Gally Tugay Mokoena Bentley MGP/Peter

Mokoena can play in front of the defence for two reasons. The central defence is more than often caught flat footed and wide open in the middle, plugging the centre midfield defensive role would stop this and it would stop the central running of both Giggs,Scholes and Rooney. Talking of Scholes, he is a Rovers nemesis and always seems to score at Ewood if he is given he space. Playing The Axe in that role puts a big barrier in place to stop his runs.

That midfield also allows both the widemen to support the loan forward, which would clearly be Benni. It also allows either Tugay or Bentley the space to probe whilst not over stretching the defensive capability.

Should Rovers be in a position to profit from any United profiglacy then we have a chance to exploit them as they become frustrated.

BTW

Mark I am free Tuesday and Friday pre match to discuss the above formation :tu:

1864 we'd get absolutely battered with that formation. Why are people still of the belief that a horribly defensive 4-5-1 formation is the way to get results? We were bold and played 4-4-2 at Old Trafford last season and won. This was without Bellamy at the time as well.

Le C

we may get battered WHATEVER formation we can put out on Saturday evening.

My point is to try and stop the flooding manure normally do to teams like Rovers and at the same time utilising our best means of defence, the formation I have suggested does that to some extent.

if you look at the way united play they will come hell for leather at us from the off, from the left, the right and the centre, if MGP is at his usual self as in the past 6 games then the right flank is wide open. By playing The Axe in front of the back 4 we have a little bit of protection as I think we would take a draw anytime.

Thats my view

This kind of thread always pops up when we are having a bad spell. Hughes is IMO picking the best starting XI he can given our current injuries.

We are losing games because our squad is not big enough. With the likes of Savage, Reid, Nelsen and the new version of Emerton out injured there is no wonder we can't win.

Untill these players gets back to the starting XI we are most likely going to struggle in the bottom half of the premier league.

At least things are looking rosy in the Uefa cup! :rover:

Thanks Krislu. Perhaps if everyone read this post it would be the end of the thread. :brfc:

I noticed against Basel that Ooijer has an impressive range of passing. Use him as an anchor in front of Zurab and Henchoz/Todd (if he ever gets to play again). Then proceed as normal. With a creative midfielder (Tugs/Bentley), and a confident, decent passing, defensively minded midfielder, it could shore up our midfield, which has been the source of much of our grief.

Then we'll have to sort out the left. Morten and Mickey ain't playing well together, and many teams have noticed this. Although you'd wonder does Morten fancy playing United again :)

Does anyone seriously think Todd will play again? Hughes bought Henchoz because he wont play Todd, Simple as that. I think we'll see The Axe or Mcevely at CB before we see Todd.

he's frozen out. we'll only see todd again if we get a newcastle style injury crisis. the domino effect will likely be.... if henchoz is inj, neill will switch to CB. if he's inj - jay, then matteo, then nolan, then todd, then axe.

With the injuries we have at the moment, all of the team looks weak.

With Savage and Reid out , we need someone to be a ball winner in midfield and link up with attack, but i dont think the axe is the answer.

Personally with Emerton hopefully back, we could put Jay mceverly at left back, and then have Lucas Neil in midfield in front of the back four, which would also allow Tugs to get more forward and be th play maker for the attack.

With the injuries we have at the moment, all of the team looks weak.

With Savage and Reid out , we need someone to be a ball winner in midfield and link up with attack, but i dont think the axe is the answer.

Personally with Emerton hopefully back, we could put Jay mceverly at left back, and then have Lucas Neil in midfield in front of the back four, which would also allow Tugs to get more forward and be th play maker for the attack.

Good point, although i dont think Jay has looked convincing with his sub appearences.

One thing i would say is due to the injury crisis were having (similar to West Hams and Newcastles last season and Newcastle again this season), it would be a perfect chance for some of our youngsters to show how they would perform in the first team.

Id rather give a young midfielder showing promise a chance then rely on the Axe to solve our problems...

I was thinking after Sunday that we must consider playing 5 in midfield, hence restricting teams attacking prowess (essential in the absence of Robbie Savage). It's unfortunate that we're also missing out on our target-man Mr Roberts but Nonda has a hidden deception of strength about him.

Maybe you can all laugh at me, but with 'The Axe', not performing close to what Savage does I was thinking of maybe throwing Todd into centre midfield to ruffle a few feathers. A strong tackler and steady on the ball I think he could be a useful addition to our ever-decreasing midfield.

I was thinking after Sunday that we must consider playing 5 in midfield, hence restricting teams attacking prowess (essential in the absence of Robbie Savage). It's unfortunate that we're also missing out on our target-man Mr Roberts but Nonda has a hidden deception of strength about him.

Maybe you can all laugh at me, but with 'The Axe', not performing close to what Savage does I was thinking of maybe throwing Todd into centre midfield to ruffle a few feathers. A strong tackler and steady on the ball I think he could be a useful addition to our ever-decreasing midfield.

i would much prefer Neil in CM then Todd thats if Emerton is back, Neil will be able to get to box to box more then Todd i think

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.