BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] And The Beeb Says We Want Beckham.....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'am sorry but if Mr Beckham is going to join the EPL the following clubs, I humbly suggest, would rate more highly than Rovers on his wish list.

1)Chelsea - need a right winger, another trophy player for Roman.

2)Bolton - third in the premiership, the dream of champions league, close to Manchester.

3)Portsmouth - fourth in the league , Redknap, new rich backers, close to London.

4)Aston Villa – ONeil, new rich backers.

5)Spurs - London based, my favorite if Lennon goes to Chelsea.

6)Newcastle – Have a habit of throwing money at problems, fan base , Owen.

Personally I hope I am wrong and Mr Hughes pulls of the signing of the decade. :)

1 - No chance, don't need a right midfielded don't play with one. Don't think Mourinho would like anyone with a bigger profile than him.

2 - Can't afford to pay Kevin Davies an improved salary never mind Beckham

3 - It's Portsmouth!

4 - Possibly

5 - Lennon won't go to Chelsea, Spurs will fight tooth and nail to keep him

6 - No professional in their right mind would go anywhere near Newcastle at the current moment.

The missus just said she's buying a seasn ticket if he signs. He'd better not then ;-)

Our gates are that poor, we should take anyone!

Mind you, she'd do nowt for the pie sales.

Simon :brfc:

Edit: ignore that, I thought you meant Posh!

Edited by b12_simon

When Dalglish came to be our manager no-one would've expected that. I can't see Becks coming but stranger things have happened!

Although I think that Hughse has been taken out of context to make a story.

Eg when Strachen said 'most clubs in the world would be interested (in Beckham' the next day it was all over the papers that he was wanted by Celtic.

2 - Can't afford to pay Kevin Davies an improved salary never mind Beckham

I think that is the key for us too.

While the signing would improve Rovers' international profile beyond anything we've ever known, I don't think we should blow our wage bill on him.

While the signing would improve Rovers' international profile beyond anything we've ever known, I don't think we should blow our wage bill on him.

Whilst I really cannot see this happening, I would suspect that if it was possible finance would not be the problem - I'm sure the trust would class this an "extraordinary" item which would be judged on its merits as per our previous big transfers.

Sorry totally disagree - his wages would be paid for by the increased commercial & Sky appearance revenue.

In the unlikely event that he joined - I am sure that he would publically sign for around £60k per week - taking an apparent huge drop in salary "just to play football again". In the background - our shirt sponsor would offer him huge amounts just to be associated with him, and we would probably give him an extremely healthy percentage of merchandising profits. Imagine all those fans in the east changing their Real Madrid tops for the famous blue and white halves. :rover: Beckham is a huge brand name - his incoming being far beyond just his huge salary for playing football. That is the major reason I can't see it happening - that his sponsors would want him associated with a bigger club than Rovers. However - I can dream - he does seem to be genuinely passionate about football - lets dream that the prospect of playing for one of his idols before he retires can tempt him.

I'd love to have him. Although I've satated mroe than once that he shouldn't be playing for England he is still a very good player; one of the best England has produced in the last 15 years. His attitude is great, his workrate and fitness are phoenomenal, and he's not had many injuries (metatarsal aside). He would be Tugay's ideal replacement. He started off in central mid, he can finish there. He can sit in and pull the strings, score free kicks, and look like the continental.

He will end up in the MLS, his academy is in LA and his wife is a big fan of stardom, but at 31 he still has too much to offer for a two bit league. If he comes to Ewood he will be the star and can prove to the whole country that he's still got it. He likes Mark Hughes, and I think I read in his book that his wife and Posh are good friends; she helped Posh settle in Manchester and was really nice (not my words).

Wages wouldn't be a problem. Lonsdale would go out of the window and Adidas would make our kit whilst chipping in. We'd be on TV worldwide each week. Sign him up.

Don't know if it would be a good move football wise to sign him but I'd probably have to loan someone else my season ticket as I don't think I could stand watching him play for Rovers. There's something about him that makes my flesh creep and I can't understand the fascination he seems to have for other females. I'd have to stop listening to Rovervision interviews too as he makes David Bentley with his "I mean" every few seconds sound articulate. Have spent years making little girls re-cover their French exercise books whenever they tried sticking pictures of Beckham on them, so from a personal point of view I hope it really is just a pipe dream.

Have spent years making little girls re-cover their French exercise books whenever they tried sticking pictures of Beckham on them, so from a personal point of view I hope it really is just a pipe dream.

I bet you've not had many girls stick pictures of current Rovers stars on their exercise books have you? He's a huge name and would do our reputation no end of good!

For all those doubters on the Wage issue - the Beckham 'image' would probably pay his wages anyway in increased Revenue

The big question would be if he would be willing to take a drop in wages ... say £60k pw as DMTP as mentioned - Would be interesting to see what is morals are in this respect - as I'm sure if we where willing to pay the Welsh Wizard this then I am sure as hell they would pay it to Golden Balls -or should that be Blue n White Balls? :P:brfc:

Obviously Beckham would have to drop his wages if he were to come here, but why wouldn’t he? He’s made his money now surely? Dropped from the England team, bit part player at Real, what better way of going out and proving yourself again than in the Premier League. Why not us? It’ll all boil down to what he wants to do, does he want to be remembered for what he has done in the past? Does he want to prove his many doubters wrong (who say he is finished at the highest level) including the England manager? Or will he simply decide to end his career in the U.S. where whatever he does and how well he plays will never be treated the same as in the EPL?

Stranger things have happened, although I doubt it will.

If he does arrive expect Sportsworld at Ewood to run out of the letters "B" "E" "C" "K" "H" "A" and "M" within 20 minutes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.