BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] It's Gally Time

ABBEY

Getting the topic back on track to the subject of Gally, it's fairly obvious why he doesn't seem to be getting a fair crack of the whip, McCarthy, Nonda and Jeffers are Hughes signings, Gallagher is not. That's not a particular criticism of Hughes, it's a characteristic displayed by all managers.

His lack of time on the pitch certainly can't be connected to his performances, by and large when he's come on he's done well we've looked far more potent as an attacking force.

On the flip side it's becoming obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Jeffers has about as much chance of making it at this level again as Matt Jansen. However I would imagine Hughes will persevere with him for a bit longer as he will be loath to admit he was wrong. Which again will be to Gallagher's detriment.

Just because nearly everyone does it, doesn't make it right. I have to say, Jeffers has performed better than I'd expected - but I still think that he needs the luxury of a run of games to re-find any form, something we cannot afford.

You would, however, think that Gally, with his ability to shoot from long range and cross a ball, would be a better bet to score/create a goal off the bench than Jeffers. At least Kuqi with his brawn could make an impact as a sub, I'm not sure Jeffers can on a regular basis.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gallagher deserves his chance imo, it just aint happening the last few matches and its time for a change of personel.

i would put gallagher in central midfield next to tugay, i know he hasn't got the physical side to his game like say mokoena, but he has the stamina, will work hard getting from box to box and can offer alot more to the side than the axe whom doesn't seem to sharp these days!

i would put gallagher in central midfield next to tugay, i know he hasn't got the physical side to his game like say mokoena, but he has the stamina, will work hard getting from box to box and can offer alot more to the side than the axe whom doesn't seem to sharp these days!

Utter Tosh! When have you EVER seen him do anything remotely resembling your suggestion? He came on at Liverpool late on when we were under the cosh but he was so lethargic and disinterested that I couldn't believe it. He may as well have stayed on his arse on the bench.

Getting the topic back on track to the subject of Gally, it's fairly obvious why he doesn't seem to be getting a fair crack of the whip, McCarthy, Nonda and Jeffers are Hughes signings, Gallagher is not. That's not a particular criticism of Hughes, it's a characteristic displayed by all managers.

His lack of time on the pitch certainly can't be connected to his performances, by and large when he's come on he's done well we've looked far more potent as an attacking force.

On the flip side it's becoming obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that Jeffers has about as much chance of making it at this level again as Matt Jansen. However I would imagine Hughes will persevere with him for a bit longer as he will be loath to admit he was wrong. Which again will be to Gallagher's detriment.

I agree with much of this post. If Gally isn't getting games because he isn't a Hughes signing I'm disappointed in Sparky - I have him down as a bigger man than that. Of course Hughes is paid to win football matches and he must pick the team he thinks will get those results.

We have a massive programme from now to Christmas - 10 games in 37 days and I'd like to see Gally given a run in the five games starting at Watford and finishing against Nancy. Like others I can't think of an occassion when he has let us down and he definetely does provide a spark when he comes on. I didn't see the Liverpool game so I don't know about his performance in that one.

I'm one who always favours home produced players, I like that local lad connection, but I think Gally has more about him than just the local factor. I know we can't make a direct comparison but he seems to bring far more to the team than either Douglas or Danns ever did.

As for Mokoena not being good enough for the PL? I just can't agree with that. He looks poor at CH, can't play forward of the half-way line BUT when asked to do a job in front of the back four is as solid as many others I've seen in that role. His job there is simple, break up the attack, pick up loose balls or players, make the easy pass to relieve pressure. All of this I feel he does well.

Gally isn't playing Paul, not because he isn't a Hughes signing, but because as Theno says - he isn't good enough.

I don't think that is a very convincing argument. I do not think he could perform much worse than MGP has played in games.

He has weaknesses, as do all of our players, but I cannot see why he shouldn't get a shot especially due to:

A We have an average of a game every 3-4 days for over a month

B We have a squad ravaged by injury

C We cannot sign anyone till january

D we only have four other fit midfielder (Pedersen is now out).

The thing that gets me is that he is a very creative player, somethng we have been missing.

Revidge, not having a dig mate but some occasions I don't agree with what you say. But with this post (all for three paragraphs) I agree entirely. My isn't that a first!! Some great points in there and all of which i believe are very true.

I would be inclined to give Gally either a role up front or even on the flanks, due to one or two of his performances in pre-season. Again could play midfield but wouldn't be able to play with Tugay. Need some bit of rough and a physically strong player in there whilst Sav is away, who can break up the opposition's play and feel that Todd would be a great man for this role.

If we get a decent result against Feyenoord, then Gally has to play a full game up front against Nancy and maybe one or two of the reserve players, such as Taylor, Kane and another game for Brown.

Gally isn't playing Paul, not because he isn't a Hughes signing, but because as Theno says - he isn't good enough.

Exactly the sort of answer I asked not to get. How can one just say he is not good enough when the evidence is there for all to see. He has clearly made impacts when he has come on, not perhaps in scoring but the whole team seems to buck up, we become more lively and start to show a little imagination. So good enough or not if he does that then why not more of him and sooner.

He has, in the Souness era, started and been ineffective but he always seems to do well as a sub. I also think Sparky is man enough not to show preferencial treatment to HIS signings, if that was the case how the hell do you explain MGP playing all the time whenhe has been crap.

I don't think he's not good enough is enough. He's not hardworking enough; he has mostly come on when the game's been going our way. I just don't see him as the player who can take a game we're losing by the scruff of the neck and turn it around. He never looks interested in doing any of the mundane jobs that need doing to help the team. I agree his positioning can be good but then his shooting is often not up to the same standard. If we'd progressed in the Carling Cup or if we draw relatively low level opposition in the early FA cup rounds then I'd expect to see him starting but at the moment I can't see why he'd keep any of our other strikers out of the starting line up.

Everytime hes come on hes looked move threatening then MGP, he hasnt looked out of place in the premiership, All of his goals and assists last season for Stoke were mainly from playing the Left Wing, not the right wing actually. Gally is a exciting play to watch in my opinion, has good skill and can pick out a good pass, hes always look to do something positive, its a shame we arent seeing more of him, maybe Hughes see's his pace and defensive skills as a letdown, again the Stoke fans always used to bash gally for the defensive side of his game.

I think Gally will be looking to leave Rovers come January, he must of thought he'd at least be on the bench with our current Injurys, what does he have to do to be given a chance?

Good points wakefieldrawks, and something that I always find mystifying re the attacking midfielder being asked to change his game to a defensive midfielder. Same happened with Dunn and Souness ... Why?

As I have said before .. I am not a fan of this holding midfielder malarkey there are two in there that should know what each others strengths are and have the intelligence to read the game each match - There is nothing wrong with having an attcking midfielder in your ranks ... as long as everybody knows there jobs yous should be able to utilise that man for his advantages.

This is evidently obvious in what Rovers are short of at the moment, we need some creation and flair - Gally needs to be given a chance as he has certainly shown it in his cameo appearances - then we might see what our strikers are effectively capable of.

Build his confidence, give him the chance Sparky and then we can make a decision of yeah or nay - as Abbey says if he is no good then get rid but don't just let him fade to nothing before giving him a go.

Exactly the sort of answer I asked not to get. How can one just say he is not good enough when the evidence is there for all to see. He has clearly made impacts when he has come on, not perhaps in scoring but the whole team seems to buck up, we become more lively and start to show a little imagination. So good enough or not if he does that then why not more of him and sooner.

He has, in the Souness era, started and been ineffective but he always seems to do well as a sub. I also think Sparky is man enough not to show preferencial treatment to HIS signings, if that was the case how the hell do you explain MGP playing all the time when he has been crap.

USA - what do you mean you didn't want that answer? Do you want me to make one up that suits yourself? :)

"How can one just say he is not good enough when the evidence is there for all to see. " - I have seen the evidence, that's what I'm basing it on. Gally is a good footballer, just not good enough for the level we're at now. If we were in the Championship, that would be different.

I remember last season, Hughes commenting that Gally was the most technically gifted player at the club or some such. Early in the season I was watching the lads take volleys put over to them before the game, and Gally was by far the most consistent finisher of the bunch. So saying he's not good enough when he's scored 8 goals in 50 games, most of which were substitute appearances, seems a bit foolhardy. He's also never had a proper run in the team, despite earning one on several occasions.

USA - what do you mean you didn't want that answer? Do you want me to make one up that suits yourself? :)

"How can one just say he is not good enough when the evidence is there for all to see. " - I have seen the evidence, that's what I'm basing it on. Gally is a good footballer, just not good enough for the level we're at now. If we were in the Championship, that would be different.

Elaborate why he's not good enough to come on as sub please. The evidence I've seen when he does is that Rovers start to look more threatening.

Elaborate why he's not good enough to come on as sub please. The evidence I've seen when he does is that Rovers start to look more threatening.

Oh I agree that at times he's done well as a sub, - definately. Kuqi was the same. That's not meant to be sarcastic USA, just the way I see it.

time for some local lad step into the team with a run of games....whilst sav is out get gally in the team instead of the ax but play him behind the front two.He should at least be on the bench!

:wstu: yes give the lad chance, jeffers has had 5 clubs and not done it at any, lets give our own a chance.in stead of the been there not done it brigade

This thread is pathetic! For Gally just cast your minds back a year or two and substitute the words Stead or even Grabbi (ffs!). Too many dreamers and comic strip readers on here who appreantly are never willing to learn. In football it has to be head over heart not the other way around! Gally does have certain talents at certain things i.e. vision and passing but his all round weaknesses far outweigh them at this level. Just like Sparky sussed Stead in double quick time so he has with Gallagher. Has anybody noticed any Prem clubs sniffing around him? It's usually a sure sign of a players abilities.

There is that plain enough? Here endeth the lesson.

Edited by thenodrog

This thread is pathetic! For Gally just cast your minds back a year or two and substitute the words Stead or even Grabbi (ffs!). Too many dreamers and comic strip readers on here who appreantly are never willing to learn. In football it has to be head over heart not the other way around! Gally does have certain talents at certain things i.e. vision and passing but his all round weaknesses far outweigh them at this level. Just like Sparky sussed Stead in double quick time so he has with Gallagher. Has anybody noticed any Prem clubs sniffing around him? It's usually a sure sign of a players abilities.

ok but gally is a local lad and should be given a chance

ok but gally is a local lad and should be given a chance

'Local' means absolutely nothing ffs! Do you not think being included in a Premier League squad and training under the managers eye day in day out comes under the heading of being 'given a chance'? I'm sure that many thousands would give their back teeth for the same chance. He simply hasn't enough all round game to him. You will come to realise in time.

You were saying the same about Bentley not so long ago.

For what it's worth, I think his brief sub appearances this season have warrented him getting a start - especially with the likes of Pedersen so out of form.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.