BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1-1Tottenham

Time for video reffing...

Fair enough, the penalty could be defended although it was really harsh. Tugay was coming in to block a shot, got fooled and made minimal contact with the Spurs player, who's made a meal of it. What the assistant referee saw that merited a red card...God only knows. Shocking.

I don't care about "the flow of the game" any more. There is to much invested these days to allow muppets like these referee games on their owns. We badly need a NFL style "booth" system where they can review decisions like this. If we have to stop the game for a minute, then fair enough. This can't keep happening.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their penalty was a correct decision, it wasn't intentional but he did bring him down. However the red card was ridiculous. And we should've had a penalty as well.

So now we'll miss Tugay for 1-3 games? Great...

One positive from this game though was Michael Gray, I thought he had a very good game and I hope he can keep it up.

Their penalty was a correct decision, it wasn't intentional but he did bring him down. However the red card was ridiculous. And we should've had a penalty as well.

So now we'll miss Tugay for 1-3 games? Great...

One positive from this game though was Michael Gray, I thought he had a very good game and I hope he can keep it up.

it wasnt the correct decision :) if it was correct then your sayin he deserves the red card,it was incompetent refereein once again from the officials...and its gettin boring now! :(

It was a very hard decision for the ref, Rovers were just unlucky.

Ooijer was excellent today, his skill and passing for a defender are like that of a midfielder, he could definately do a job in midfield.

Mido and Ghaly are two of the dirtiest coniving players in the league, they are in the El Haij Douif stakes.

Great goal, it was a penalty, not a red card, not sure about the Mido handball so the ref was right not to give it. If we had played like we did with 10 men for the entire game then we would have walked it. Much improved though still not creating enough chances, but still better. Can't fault any of the players today.

Reffing officials AGAIN!!! :angry:

There is a world of difference between a tumble over a trailing ankle which was actually under Tugay's body when Ghally went over it and the blatant last man body check which merits the red card.

Mido's was a handball and he should have been gone for that two footed lunge before their equaliser any way.

Rovers were encouragingly good. Save everywhere, McCarthy sensational, Gray superb, Henchoz and Ooijer stood up well and Tugay was out of this world.

Only gripes would be Nonda still struggling to impose himself in the Prem, Bentley and Emo making some wrong decisions and MGP still in rehab; not as bad as he has been but not back to last season's form by a long way.

The quality of some of Rovers' play especially when down to ten men was sensational.

We are really going to miss Tugay now- games coming up where he would make all the difference.

Commentators as bad as the officials- AGAIN!!! :angry:

Just a couple of views on the game.

First if Tugay (superb 30 yarder fron the dude again!), however if he is to be sent off and a penalty given to Spurs for what supposedly happened then Mido should have been dismissed and Rovers be given a penalty for a woefully obvious handball in the area. I mean for gods sakes, am i the only person who thought it should have been a foul ON tuggs??

Grey had a excellent game, yes its true and i just wish he could play like that every other game. Henchoz looked good as well as Ooijer, although Henchoz looked better then Ooijer in this particular match

Our front line looked worrying again granted they were only together for 60 or so minutes Benni did try and was the better out the front two in the 60 mins, but it didnt seem like they were able to link up with our midfield (pace problem) again. One thing i would say about Nonda coming off, why not put on Gally who should have been on the bench and switch gally to right wing and Bentley center. Mokoena keeps looking poor and he always slows down the game!

Gamst had a better match then hi other performances during the season, but Bentley was not up to past performances...

Savage looked like he had a barrel load of energy for the match. Peter and Jeffers just didnt have any time to effect the course of the match and in matches such as this when were a man down i really think they should be used earlier due to players getting tired quicker due to making up for the missing man.

Overall, we were ok. Harshly delt with by the assistants/Spurs 12, 13th and 14th players. I do take allot of courage by the fact we looked fairly solid without Neil (who will be gone in january) and with only 10 men but i am of course disapointed that on the rare opportunity i get to see Rovers on the big screen we were again harshly done by at home AGAIN by the referies...

:unsure:

It was a very hard decision for the ref, Rovers were just unlucky.

We seem to be using this 'unlucky' excuse very often of late.Both sides very evenly matched to me but Kudos goes to our lads who looked the more likely to win even when down to 10 men.

Tugay strike was sensational.....give the fella another 2 years Hughes.

Great goal, it was a penalty, not a red card, not sure about the Mido handball so the ref was right not to give it. If we had played like we did with 10 men for the entire game then we would have walked it. Much improved though still not creating enough chances, but still better. Can't fault any of the players today.

Saw the game myself and could not have said it better. It was a very poor game today, both by us and tottenham. The penalty is nothing to discuss, but never should it have been a red card.

Brilliant goal, goal of the season surely!

Savage looked like he had a barrel load of energy for the match.

Can't say I agree. He cleary was not match fit...

Leaving aside the dodgy decisions, two thing struck me from the game.

We were very poor going forwards prior to the sending off; not one decent ball into the front two, and their keeper could have been sat reading the paper for the first hour. Spuds passed their way easily through our midfiled only for our very good defense to win it somewhere near our box and then hoof it forwards.

After the sending off was a revelation. With both Savage and the Axe in the middle, we were winning the ball much further up the pitch and passing it forwards into Benni. Our full backs were bombing forwards and I though it was a different class of play from us.

It made me think that maybe there is a better formation at the moment. A sort of 4-3-2-1, with the Axe and Savage holding the middle, Tugay with a free role, Bentley and MGP tucking in behind Benni (neither of them are wingers in the accepted sense of the word anyway), and the fullbacks providing the width.

Full marks to Gray today, I thought he was our MoM.

No, disagree. The ref and assistants were disgraceful today. The spurs player made contact with Tugay and then went down in an much exaggerated fashion. Mido moved towards the ball with his arm. And what about that guy later on who went down and as we attacked in a 2 on 1 down the right the ref stopped the game, only for him to get up and limp off with the spurs physio. Talk about being conned out of 2 points

Good points EiT, I was thinking back to why and how we improved (apart from having our dander up because of the officials) and I think you've come up with a very valid suggestion.

Great shame Nonda's early strike didn't count- he took it very cooly and would have done his confidence the power of good. He was offside (marginally but off) but the Bellamy break in the 2nd half which got pulled back by the linesman who missed the Mido penalty incident was not offside.

Incidentally, I know the crowd gave him a deserving reception and he missed some sitters but Mido would have been a folk hero by now if he'd come to Ewood. Strong, quick, takes players on and a good old fashioned baddy in the Speedie mould whom the opposition love to hate.

Edited by philipl

Great goal, it was a penalty, not a red card, not sure about the Mido handball so the ref was right not to give it.

Mido cushioned the ball down with his arm, if it had been his chest then the thrust would have meant he moved his arm backwards. Plus it's handball because he admitted as much!

Gray was very good and it was good to see the energy that savage gave us. Brad was very unlucky not to save the pen, just too much power.

after feyenoord we get the weekend off and i think we need to regroup and learn how to defend and take set pieces.

good to get a point, you can always tell a side strengh by theirs subs and theres were a lot stronger then ours.

why is mgp picked I though he had a bad game, and the goal came about due to his wild kick at goal which went for a throw in.

it was a pen, contact was made but a red card never, and if there had a pen for that, then it was a pen for the hand ball.

our forwards have to learn to hold the ball up, something that we lack at the momement.

Personally I thought the ref was a complete door handle :angry:

Rovers toothless up front with Pederson doing more drifting out than in and that annoyed me cause when he could be bothered he caused problems, Benltey flattered to deceive and why doesnt his peripheral vision work when Bert is running the line ?

Tugay was class until he was wrongfully sent off and for those who aint seen it you gotta watch MOTD2.

Andre was the MOTM followed closely by Gray which was nice to see after his rcent diabolical tripe.

Henchoz was quite superb alongside Andre.

Savage played well apart from losing hsi head for a short while after Tugays dismissal.

The two front men had no supply again and when they found themselves in good positions they had no support.

Bentley was in and out like Pederson.

So we take a home point, more like 2 points dropped imo as spurs are way off the team we played last season.

So, its now onto Holland for our latest Euro adventure, cant wait ;)

God forbid that ever happens!

robot refs for me, or get the women refs to do it. they couldnt be any worse.

at worst- refs are corrupt and at best -gutless.

penalty or not, (although, my spurs and burnley fan mates all reckon it was harsh) the sending off is a staggering piece of officiating.

in the very least refs should be made accountable. it's a closed shop and very cloak and dagger.

the refs association will never agree to it, but refs should be hauled in front of the cameras to explain their decisions (immediately, not when they've had a chance to view incidents or think up an excuse).

also, linesmen are becoming redundant. they never make their own decisions.

referee's should go and find a sol and the linesmen grow some balls and use them.

on the game itself, we were more or less comfortable, at 1-0 and 1-1. however, if we keep getting decisions like this, we'll struggle to stop up.

a conspiracy- to get a small club out of the prem, is looking increasingly believable, as the weeks go on..

I’d also like to see the fans sing and chant support, at the same level of volume they raise to barrack officials. we need a twelfth man - to try and balance things up.

also, amo doing the HT draw ??? who dreamt that one up ?

Edited by pleasure

The ref and his linesmen had a stinker.

And we lost the game cause of that. They didnt look like scoring to be honest and even with the man advantage they really couldnt muster anything but with that said we didnt really look like adding a second either although our buildup play was decent.

No, disagree. The ref and assistants were disgraceful today. The spurs player made contact with Tugay and then went down in an much exaggerated fashion. Mido moved towards the ball with his arm. And what about that guy later on who went down and as we attacked in a 2 on 1 down the right the ref stopped the game, only for him to get up and limp off with the spurs physio. Talk about being conned out of 2 points

The player knocked it past Tugay and caught his trailing foot, Tugay didn't mean it but there was contact and it was a penalty, we would have been screaming for it at the other end, never a sending off though. As for Zokora (I think it was) who went down, yes it was him making a meal of it, but didn't exactly change the game. I also think the Spurs sending off was harsh, though I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Mido cushioned the ball down with his arm, if it had been his chest then the thrust would have meant he moved his arm backwards. Plus it's handball because he admitted as much!

Gray was very good and it was good to see the energy that savage gave us. Brad was very unlucky not to save the pen, just too much power.

after feyenoord we get the weekend off and i think we need to regroup and learn how to defend and take set pieces.

I've watched the replay tons of times and wasn't sure, I can't see how we can expect the officials to be. Would have loved to have had it, but if he hadn't made a mistake for us then I wouldn't have complained about it too much, though we are owed a bit of luck.

Apparently Mido is bragging he got away with the handball without conceding the penalty.

When you think of the handball penalties given against us this season, Mido's goes into the blatantly obvious category!

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.