BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1-1Tottenham

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Neill has made it plain that he doesn't want to play for us and his last few performances have reflected that.

The sooner that particular saga is over the better. Thankfully it may only be another few weeks. If anyone still wants him.

No, it was the suggestion you made that said Gray is a better player than Neill. What was it exactly - Gray was back to last season's excellent form - see ya Lucas don't let the door hit you on your arse on the way out".

:o

Spurs are a totally different outfit without Aaron Lennon. I find it bizarre that Jol has let his only other real winger (he doesn't have much faith in Ziegler) to go out on loan (Routledge) meaning that whenever Lennon is injured, they have to play without pace on the flanks.

Then again - we don't have pace on the flanks...

Mickey Gray up to his old tricks again. No I don't mean asking around again, but returning from the wilderness to challenge for a starting spot.

Except that poor old Tugay got sent off trying to cover an area the 2 centre backs should have been covering after they went AWOL.

Something I picked up on and questioned Rev.

Anyway, the officiating today was downright disgraceful.

Regardless of what happened there isn't a cat in hells chance that Tugays challenge was a penalty - he made a genuine attempt at the ball and the Spuds player fell over is sliding back leg. Now if that is deemed a penalty then nearly every contact in the penalty box should be called as a penalty including the push on Pedersen. The ironic thing is the player would have probably scored if he had stood up - cheat.

Secondly - Mido smido - wtf was going on in the first half - the ref went over to him to say he so him use his elbow and did absolute bugger all..

Also it was a blatant handball - MOTD2 - What a bunch of tossers!! did everything to try and prove it wasn't a penalty - linesmans view my arse - it was higher up and not even level - look at the replays the linesman is stood in front of Mido so should have seen it.

As for Ghalys sending off - IMO ref also got that wrong - yellow at most for a clumsy challenge but thats it - was refreshing hearing Jol's comments but as we all know the refs can't be wrong nowadays.

Now gripe for Rovers - Why oh why don't we play like that from the start?

Front two shocking again as a twosome up until the sending off then Mccarthy came alive.

Attacking wise we where very poor again untill the sending off creating very little

Bentley and MGP both poor - again what is going on with Bentley and Bert?

We should have won regardless.

No, it was the suggestion you made that said Gray is a better player than Neill. What was it exactly - Gray was back to last season's excellent form - see ya Lucas don't let the door hit you on your arse on the way out".

:o

Not saying Gray's a better player than Neill or vice versa, just said Gray played well.

However if Neill is in fact off in January (something only Hughes will know) there's surely little point in him playing for us again. We won't particularly miss him if, and admittedly it's a big if, Gray can reproduce that form week in week out.

Not saying Gray's a better player than Neill or vice versa, just said Gray played well.

However if Neill is in fact off in January (something only Hughes will know) there's surely little point in him playing for us again. We won't particularly miss him if, and admittedly it's a big if, Gray can reproduce that form week in week out.

It looks a definate that Neill will leave. The rumour is that Warnock will replace him. Now if Warnock is up to it, - problem solved. That's a big "if" as well Rev.

Maybe this Gomaa chap will replace Todd in the squad. Although I do hope that a youngster is ready to come in.

Anyway, it seems that the refs have decided to give dodgy penalties against us every other game. Are they all Burnley fans? If it was Chelsea or Arsenal we'd not hear the end of it from Wenger and Mourinho.

Two player of the year awards, but we don't know the truth of what's gone on, do we?

No we don't, but when Hughes decides to use a player like Henchoz instead of Todd then there must have been a serious bust-up between Mark and Andy.

The farcical nature of the officiating is summed up by Keith Hackett communicating that Jol was not sent off after Jol was convinced he was- to be honest I cannot remember seeing the second red on the TV coverage although the commentary immediately and decisively picked up that Jol had been dismissed. I guess that might have come from the Sky man on the touchline who heard the verbal exchange.

What I noticed on MOTD2 was that Dowd continued to hold up the red card when he was talking to Jol, rather than put it down and show a 2nd card.

And according to the experts on Match of the Day, it was a definate penalty, a definate red card and definately not handball.

I must have dreamt it all.

Was that Gavin Peacock's personal view on Match of the Day and or had the MoD team made an editoral decision to defend the referee ? Or was it another case of MoD backing a so-called big club ?

Anyone who knows me will say I am a laid back guy, but after hearing the BBC team on MOTD2 last night I was going booloo. Why does everyone hate Rovers? They really p1ss me off.

It doesn't even surprise me any more when Rovers are not backed up by the Media.

To be fair though, the reports today have been quite fair to us - and finally Tugay is getting the credit he deserves for being such a class act (even without the goals).

Anyone who knows me will say I am a laid back guy, but after hearing the BBC team on MOTD2 last night I was going booloo. Why does everyone hate Rovers? They really p1ss me off.

And me too.

They were so in favour of Tottenham, and anti-Rovers, it was embarrasing. Gavin Peacock is surely a Spuds fan.

To be fair though, the reports today have been quite fair to us - and finally Tugay is getting the credit he deserves for being such a class act (even without the goals).

Why it has taken everybody except Rovers fans five years to see how good Tugay is I will never know. If Fergie rates him so highly then I'm suprised he didn't go for him a few seasons ago when he outclassed £28 million Seba Veron at OT.

Two ridiculously biased opinions.

There's was definitely a penalty, there are two camera angles that clearly show that Tugay took Ghaly's foot from underneath him with his trailing leg (albeit unintentionally). There were no theatrics on Ghaly's part, his standing leg was wiped out from underneath him, his eyes were on the ball all the time. The red card, however, was extremely harsh, I don't think many people will argue with that.

You are kidding right, no theatrics bull pucky. Having watched the two incidents again the Spurs fella made a meal of it and I am still not conviced there was ACTUAL contact, one angle seems to suggest there was not, almost looking like he went ove on his toe as he tried to INITIATE contact with toogs. But if we are not sure with replay after replay then what's a Ref to do. The bloke made a meal of it if it is your opinion he did not then fair enough but I feel he did.

As for the handball I am not convined he did handball it. Bottom line here, to me anyway, is he should not have even been there anyway. The two footed lunge he made just prior to that should have seen him gone.

I find an intersting pattern with these disputed calls, the same people take the stance that whatever went against Rovers is the right thing, in many cases. Can these people be the only ones that are right.

Edited by USABlue

Why it has taken everybody except Rovers fans five years to see how good Tugay is I will never know. If Fergie rates him so highly then I'm suprised he didn't go for him a few seasons ago when he outclassed £28 million Seba Veron at OT.

Because he plays for us. If he played for any one of the three Red shirted or Blue shirted "big four" they'd be drooling week in and week out, just like they do now.

For those saying that Mido's was not a handball I think you were probably in the wrong place, rather like the referee who had no chance of seeing it. From my position in row 2 of the family stand at the JW side it was absolutely definitely a penalty - you could see clear daylight between Mido's body and the arm which hit the ball. Whilst the ref would not have seen it there was no excuse for the linesman who was right in front of it with a clear view. Of course Mido should never have been on the field by then, which brings me to my main point - the MOTD2 coverage.

I'll not bother with the views on the penalties - they have been well covered above. What summed the bias up for me were the comments on the two disallowed goals. Both were offside having seen the replays. On Nonda's the commentator saw the slow motion, declared him clearly offside and congratulated the linesman for the spot. On Mido's (again what was he doing still on the pitch?) they showed the slow motion and then just commented that Martin Jol was furious with the decision - the clear implication being that it wasn't offside, despite the clear evidence to the contrary. On the Ghally sending off the argument seemed to be that because he didn't bring his arm down like Ben Thatcher then the decision was wrong - he led with his arm in the air and then brought it down on Gray's head. Then someone had the gall to say that Gray made a meal of the challenge, going down clutching his head - what is he supposed to do, having been hit on the head?

Finally how a proper highlights package could have missed Mido's antics in the first half was completely beyond me. i didn't see the first incident with Henchoz which resulted in a long lecture but the second, where he appeared to put the palm of his hand in Henchoz's face, was a clear sending off. If you raise your hand with intent it's a straight red, no argument. Then after that he kicked a stewards chair up in the air in frustration (yellow card?) and at the end committed a horrible two footed lunge from behind on someone.

We were robbed yesterday but thats football hopefully during the course of the season we might be able to get some dodgy decisions that go our way for once.

I thought Tugay's goal yesterday was outstanding but i don't think we should be playing 4 4 2 with him in the side. I rather us go 4 5 1, then if Savage goes missing like he did yesterday trying to close down the oppostion we not relying on just Tugay for cover.

I think Tugay is an outstanding player and he can open any defence in the league but he is not a defensive midfielder and he has no pace anymore

I think if this match has taught us anything, it is that when we play other teams, the opposition always get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to fouls on them which might or might not be freekicks, penalties or bookings/sendings off's. Granted Ghaly's elbow should have been a yellow card as should Tugay's foul if it was a penalty which i still think it isnt. However Mido should have been sent off earlier in the match for a horrible 2 footed lunge. Also it was a penalty and i think that if it isnt then the other penalties of the same sort which should have been given to us throughout the season should be looked at again.

It is starting to look like our season is going to get ruined by very poor refereeing... oh well :tu:

Also Zakora's going over injured when Peter was off down the pitch and the referee stopping play when it was obvious Zakora was acting injured on purpose was disgraceful. Anyone see the smile as his physio helped him off the pitch. What a CHEAT!!

Edited by Rover The Moon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.