BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay Appreciation Society

Nayef

I would think that Tugay is working as hard as anyone to keep himself fit, to "take care of his body", as people like to put it when it comes to ageing players.

yes, but i was more refering to he doesnt need to as intense warm-up/skills session before the game then the other players

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ste B @ Feb 3 2007, 12:20

According to the LET, Toogs has had an international call up for this weeks friendly in Georgia, 3 years after he "retired"

Read about this earlier too. Here is the link... Click me

Can I ask to someone that knows... If a player declares himself fully retired from international football, can his country enforce him to play (thorugh FIFA)? :unsure:

If so, thats bloody disgraceful! ...I mean the guy is nearly 37 (and he's not a keeper)! This potentially makes our midfield even smaller.. :angry::(

Intersting to note, that Tugay may come up against Zurab at the Lokomotivi Stadium next week.

Edited by AussieinUk

Can I ask to someone that knows... If a player declares himself fully retired from international football, can his country enforce him to play (thorugh FIFA)? :unsure:

They can't make them play, or turn up for the national team, but they can suspend them from playing for their club team - it was threatened last season with someone, might have been Gallas?

They can't make them play, or turn up for the national team, but they can suspend them from playing for their club team - it was threatened last season with someone, might have been Gallas?

Thanks of the info Stu.

I still can't believe it.. :o How is this possible? is it based on the assumption that... if your fit enought to play club football and get paid, then you have the ability to play for your country, if required? :unsure:

I am genuinely shocked by this!

...and I think it was Makelele last year.

It was Makelele.

There doesn't seem to be much point debating whether he's being forced to play, if you read what Hughes says about it, it sounds like Tugay will agree to do it anyway because he's proud of playing for Turkey.

Seems strange however as it is a friendly and he hasn't played for his national team for four years.

There doesn't seem to be much point debating whether he's being forced to play, if you read what Hughes says about it, it sounds like Tugay will agree to do it anyway because he's proud of playing for Turkey.

I dont think anyone is saying he's forced into playing. It was just an enquiry wasnt it?

Oh it's incredibly strange, I'm shocked as well. I don't see the point in bringing back a 37 year old for a friendly. I know France brought Makelele, Zidane and Thuram back last year, but that was because they were struggling to qualify for the World Cup. If Tugay is willing to do it though there's not much we can do.

I dont think anyone is saying he's forced into playing. It was just an enquiry wasnt it?

Yep - Just curious, as I thought the same as FLB... 4 YEARS?!?

I think it is clear either Turkey is lacking in up incoming young talent or they have a series of player injuries? :unsure:

.. and its a friendly not a competative game? Very strange.

I mean the guy has 92 caps already, but as you said LeChuck, not much we can do if he wants to play (mind you, there is nothing he can do either, as FIFA will enforce him to do so)

From Stu's link

["Makelele has not retired. He plays for a club, and he has a soccer player's license," said Domenech.

"As long as he is performing, he will play. I have the right to pick him."

Domenech insisted that Fifa rules provide national associations with backing in disputes with clubs over international selection"]

Guess that answers my question..

Edited by AussieinUk

Yep - Just curious, as I thought the same as FLB... 4 YEARS?!?

I think it is clear either Turkey is lacking in up incoming young talent or they have a series of player injuries? :unsure:

.. and its a friendly not a competative game? Very strange.

I mean the guy has 92 caps already, but as you said LeChuck, not much we can do if he wants to play (mind you, there is nothing he can do either, as FIFA will enforce him to do so)

From Stu's link

["Makelele has not retired. He plays for a club, and he has a soccer player's license," said Domenech.

"As long as he is performing, he will play. I have the right to pick him."

Domenech insisted that Fifa rules provide national associations with backing in disputes with clubs over international selection"]

Guess that answers my question..

Turkey is not lacking any young talent or have a series of player injuries. Coach Fatih Terim wanted Tugay to say proper goodbye to his Red-White shirt.

Any word on a new contract for the great man???

This is will probably a move by Tugay's agent to 'market' him back home in Turkey. He has often inferred that he might like to go back to Gala for the last year or two of his career where he is still apparantly revered. So a quick word in the ear (crossed palm) to someone around the Turkish set-up would allow him to prove that he can still play at top level in a match and especially in a match that doesn't matter.

If nothing else it's a nudge in the direction of BRFC.

Edited by thenodrog

This is will probably a move by Tugay's agent to 'market' him back home in Turkey. He has often inferred that he might like to go back to Gala for the last year or two of his career where he is still apparantly revered. So a quick word in the ear (crossed palm) to someone around the Turkish set-up would allow him to prove that he can still play at top level in a match and especially in a match that doesn't matter.

If nothing else it's a nudge in the direction of BRFC.

Tugay have stated earlier that he wants to stay at Rovers as long as the club want him. He loves the club and the fans and wants to end his career at Ewood. He has turned down a move Galatasaray and middle east clubs several times the last couple of seasons

Tugay is a legend :brfc:

• 2 months later...

Looks like he is staying. Wahey!!!

He is getting older but still can think of few better to bring on to dictate a game. We will have a large amount of midfield options next season if everyone stays fit and we don't sell, but Tugay will still make a major contribution. Mark my words!

ANybody thought about making him honorary president of BRISA?

Looks like he is staying. Wahey!!!

He is getting older but still can think of few better to bring on to dictate a game. We will have a large amount of midfield options next season if everyone stays fit and we don't sell, but Tugay will still make a major contribution. Mark my words!

ANybody thought about making him honorary president of BRISA?

We've been lucky down the years to have "proper" footballers at Ewood - McKenzie, Ardiles, Sellars. After Garns though Toogs is my favourate Rover and it would be great for him to have a role at the club. Who better to improve the technique of the Academy kids? I have a feeling he's saved a few quid down the years and may have a place for him and his family on Turkey's Med coast. Even given the delights of the Ribble Valley I know where I'd rather be!

Excellent news, the man is an absolute Legend!

Without Savage or Reid to "mind" him, his performances have tailed off a bit towards the end of the season, and I feel Dunn and the Axe is our best combination at the moment. However, some of his football earlier in the season was first-class and he still has a major role to play.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.