BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky Wants Another New Striker?

We are missing the power and pace of Roberts - though Nonda has some neat touches he seems to have lost the pace that he once had, and we look very one paced at the front.

I would give Franny a go - he looked sharp last night - and probably deserves a start (at least that way we will be able to see whether he is worth keeping or not)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think he will be solving any goal scoring problems and in fact I think he isnt an out and out striker.

This is a bit about him on wikipedia:

"The ease with which he misses goal scoring opportunities, however, makes him a scapegoat for the Olympiacos fans when the team isn't performing well and they are becoming increasingly vocal about it."

Edited by Bobby G

I dont think he will be solving any goal scoring problems and in fact I think he isnt an out and out striker.

This is a bit about him on wikipedia:

"The ease with which he misses goal scoring opportunities, however, makes him a scapegoat for the Olympiacos fans when the team isn't performing well and they are becoming increasingly vocal about it."

Is it my imagination or does Sparky have a huge problem when it comes to signing the right kind of strikers for our squad (and then keeping hold of them when there good).

Many might laugh, but i think if were going to sign a striker we should go for someone a little younger then the fellas we have recruited thus far. Someone along the lines of Freddy Eastwiood who looks excellent in a very average Southend team or even splash some cash (the same amount we paid for Roberts) and bring in Dave Nugent. I remember when we were having problems up front a couple of seasons back when our strikers werent performing so we signed Jon Stead, he was excellent when we signed him and provided us with some gems to remember till he left...

Players who come to mind are, Dave Nugent, Kevin Doyle (who i think would partner Benni perfectly), the very impressive Shane Long or even Freddy Eastwood...

I do think signing someone like Yannis Okkas is rather silly as it is again signing someone who is hated by his own club for not being able to put away the simplest of goals.

Am i the only person who thinks Franny Jeffers has been very good since coming in for rovers... Ok he has only scored a penalty, but he looks far better then Nonda in my opinion.

I still think our 3 transfer targets should be a left back, central midfielder and a young striker.

Again in my opinion, sparky should send Nonda back to Roma from his loan as he hasnt shown any reason to keep hold of him, apart from his quick throw in assist during his 1st game (i think).

I dont understand why people are calling out for a new left midfielder as i agree with most people on here. Instead of Sparky using Peter as a 89th minute sub, he should put some faith into him and play him whilst Gamst recovers from his dodgy rib and comes back to full match fitness and quality.

When Peter comes on he looks very good and has shown more of a reason to be played in the little time he's been given then Gamst in all the games this season...

I think if Peter is given a chance, a good feeder central midfielder is purchased and Bentley regains his form and we sign a new young striker such as the ones i have listed we will get back to our old scorring ways.

I do think that if Sparky splashes 4 ish million as is being talked about on Yannis Okkas and Gomaa we will seriously be in trouble...

Heck even investing in 23 year old striker Amr Zaki would be good, and certainly a much better choice than Yannis Okkas...!

:brfc:

Edited by West Sussex Rover

I kind of agree. Id rather a hungry and young striker too.

From the start when I saw Nonda for us I had my questions about him because he is not half the player he once was. His movement is very awkward and no pace at all. Yes he works reasonably hard but still. People were singing his praises as if he had scored consecutive hat-tricks. But after about 12-13 games, its obvious that those were premature.

Roberts on the other hand is so influential cause his pace is something we lack anywhere else in the side. And Jeffers well you got to be kidding me!! :) With Benni out of form and Roberts injured, we are as good as shooting blanks up front.

On Okkas, who is coming here for a trial according to skysports, I'm a little perplexed as to why Olympiakos would allow him to come on trial. Do they want to get rid of him?

okay, i know this is a predictable comment from me, but does anyone not think that Matt Derbyshire should be considered, if the others aren't doing the business. He has pace and an eye for goal.

Obviously, he's untested at the highest level and there's doubts about his physical strength (although to score those goals in the hoof it long leagues is no easy feat).

It appears that Hughes would rather keep Derbyshire at the club than let him go out on loan - so perhaps he's biding his time to blood him.

Edited by rover6

Well he's saying the right things about the club... http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...y+Rovers+chance

Love the "Many big players have (past tense) played for this club in the past" bit, hope the current Rovers players dont read into this line too much... :lol:

Edited by West Sussex Rover

On Okkas, who is coming here for a trial according to skysports, I'm a little perplexed as to why Olympiakos would allow him to come on trial. Do they want to get rid of him?

okay, i know this is a predictable comment from me, but does anyone not think that Matt Derbyshire should be considered, if the others aren't doing the business. He has pace and an eye for goal.

Obviously, he's untested at the highest level and there's doubts about his physical strength (although to score those goals in the hoof it long leagues is no easy feat).

It appears that Hughes would rather keep Derbyshire at the club than let him go out on loan - so perhaps he's biding his time to blood him.

Before Derbyshire gets his chance i would give jeffers a do...give him 12 or so games on the run like Nonda has had...

On Eurosport last night they interviewed Savage and whilst he didn't think that our lack of goals was a problem, he did say that hopefuly Hughes can bring in one or two more strikers in January.

I wonder if Hughesy and co managed to visit the Sports Bar in Leidseplein, Gabriel had a marvellous pair of strikers :)

Jeffers has looked "lively". For a striker to be looking good, in my opinion, the guy has to be pushing the keeper to good saves and I havent seen that in general unless it happened in the last 2 UEFA Cup games which I havent watched.

A fair assessment . A lively lightweight . Is that good enough at prem level ?

I do think that if Sparky splashes 4 ish million as is being talked about on Yannis Okkas and Gomaa we will seriously be in trouble...

Heck even investing in 23 year old striker Amr Zaki would be good, and certainly a much better choice than Yannis Okkas...!

£4m ish?? I shouldn't think so! Okkas is 29 with just over 6 months on his contract, and Gomaa is 31 and from a crap league. I'd be absolutely astonished and highly critical if the pair of them cost more than £2 million.

I'm not too fussed about getting another central defender in. If Gomaa comes, then great, but I'd much rather see the left back position sured up and the addition of a creative midfielder. I wouldn't say no to a striker, because the likes of Nonda and Jeffers have struggled to make an impact, although I think Nonda could be a consistent goal scorer for us. He is getting the chances and sooner or later he will score one or two of them and he'll be off. The injury to Roberts has weakened our options, but I'd like to see Derbyshire and Gallagher getting a few more games. I know of Okkas and he could be a decent signing, if he impresses on trial and comes at the right price.

£4m ish?? I shouldn't think so! Okkas is 29 with just over 6 months on his contract, and Gomaa is 31 and from a crap league. I'd be absolutely astonished and highly critical if the pair of them cost more than £2 million.

Well Gomaa was being quoted as costing 2 - 2.5 million and Okkas will cost somewhere in the region of 1 million. Okkas has 6 months remaining on his contract does he??

Yay!! Id still prefer a younger striker though! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.