BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 2 - 0. Fulham Fc

Don't know where to put this but...

WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT IN HAVING THAT GIANT CREST BANNER IN THE DARWEN END???

Get it up the Blackburn End and get it passed around before kick off! This would be perfect at the Nancy game, then Blue cards lifted on the JW side of the BBE and white cards on the Riverside side. Bout time we got a little something special for an important european game!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT IN HAVING THAT GIANT CREST BANNER IN THE DARWEN END???

Get it up the Blackburn End and get it passed around before kick off! This would be perfect at the Nancy game, then Blue cards lifted on the JW side of the BBE and white cards on the Riverside side. Bout time we got a little something special for an important european game!

It would look good with 4500 in the BBE Lower.

I've got a funny feeling there will be less than half of that for the Nancy Match - 12k attendance?

I thought our strikers looked a lot sharper than they have for a while yesterday and McCarthy in particular played well. Pedersen, on the other hand, was woeful and I was amazed he wasn't subbed long before the end.

Thought Bentley, Emerton and Neill also played particularly well. Bentley was my man of the match and showed that he can play the Tugay role in central midfield - albeit against limited opposition.

I also thought Savage deserved his booking. He lunged in from behind with a 'scissor' tackle that could have been dangerous. The ref made a number of annoying decisions but he got all the major calls right.

Overall it was an important win against a very poor team. We didn't play brilliantly but did enough and should have won by more.

I thought Bentley had some neat touches and, most importantly, looked to simply keep possession. He's a long way away from claiming the Tugay role, but I agree, he flashed the potential on Saturday.

I thought Bentley had some neat touches and, most importantly, looked to simply keep possession. He's a long way away from claiming the Tugay role, but I agree, he flashed the potential on Saturday.

The problem Hughes now faces is what does he consider Bentley's primary position? He's at an age now where that needs to be decided as soon as possible, if he switches between right midfield and holding midfield he'll probably become a useful squad player without mastering a specific role.

Personally I see a brighter future for him in the Tugay role, he has all the basics you need to play there. He'll obviously need to learn the defensive side of it more, but learning when to move to intercept passes etc would could with time (as indeed they did with Tugay). His lack of real pace will always hold him back on the wing I feel, he'd always need an overlapping full-back to be able to cause problems from out there.

Probably not the best idea for the Nancy game however a good idea for the guarenteed big attendance games, for example Liverpool on Boxing Day.

I was hoping that the flag would be at Feyenoord.

Quote Le Chuck......

"The problem Hughes now faces is what does he consider Bentley's primary position? He's at an age now where that needs to be decided as soon as possible, if he switches between right midfield and holding midfield he'll probably become a useful squad player without mastering a specific role.

Personally I see a brighter future for him in the Tugay role, he has all the basics you need to play there. He'll obviously need to learn the defensive side of it more, but learning when to move to intercept passes etc would could with time (as indeed they did with Tugay). His lack of real pace will always hold him back on the wing I feel, he'd always need an overlapping full-back to be able to cause problems from out there."

It's a quandary then cos his lack of strength in the tackle and all round robustness is against him playing in midfield at the very top level. I would certainly not like to see him partnering Tugay there thats for sure.

Despite my initial misgivings I'm pleased to say that he has come on a long way and the coaching team have worked wonders with him. His skill is unqestionable but his pace and physical strength are lacking. He might toughen up but only time will tell.

Edited by thenodrog

It's a quandary then cos his lack of strength in the tackle and all round robustness is against him playing in midfield at the very top level. I would certainly not like to see him partnering Tugay there thats for sure.

They definitely could not play together, I'm on about Bentley playing in Tugay's role long term. Tugay isn't great at tackling and he's certainly no more robust than Bentley, the holding role is more about positioning and spotting which passes to intercept. Players like Fabregas/Makelele/Scholes aren't phsyically imposing either.

They definitely could not play together, I'm on about Bentley playing in Tugay's role long term. Tugay isn't great at tackling and he's certainly no more robust than Bentley, the holding role is more about positioning and spotting which passes to intercept. Players like Fabregas/Makelele/Scholes aren't phsyically imposing either.

I reckon Scholes is a lot more physically imposing than either of our two ( Tugay and Bentley ), he' a nasty sod who's spiteful in the tackle and gets away with murder. As for Makelele, well I wish we had 4 in midfield who can tackle like he can.

Great performance, only let down was MGP, he missed a sitter, by his standards anyway and he also gave the ball away alot of times. The only thing winding me up is how on earth did Benni McCarthy not get any bonus points in Fantasy Football, he had a very good game, should have atleast had 2 points, he's my captain you see its still winding me up

Edited by Roar of the Rover

the real test for our 2 star strikers will be to put in a performance when the opposition actually turn up. i've yet to see them give a hrad time to a defence of any quality. when i see that for several games i'll be convinced. pulling off a few fancy flicks against feeble opposition when you coasting at home doesn't convince me...lets see them do it when we're a goal down against a quality defence.

Just watched the highlights now, weren't able to watch the game due to being at work. Nice goal by Nonda, and especially the attack ending with Emerton passing to the goalkeeper looked very good.

Did you notice Emerton (who had a good game btw) dashing down the right wing near the end? He did his old trick yet again....... he got his shoulder past the defender and with a strong surge across the defender would have been in the area and completely clear on goal.............. and then he turned around again! :rolleyes::angry:

His prediliction to doing that beggars belief, he has displayed that particular failing time and again since he came from Feyenoord. The sooner Hughes makes a rule where every time Emerton does that during a match he has to train all the next day with his nob out the better! :lol:

Edited by thenodrog

His prediliction to doing that beggars belief, he has displayed that particular failing time and again since he came from Feyenoord. The sooner Hughes makes a rule where every time Emerton does that during a match he has to train all the next day with his nob out the better! :lol:

I heard that it was training with his shorts off that made him start doing it in the first place. He was watching out for a tackle from behind... ;)

:P

Did you notice Emerton (who had a good game btw) dashing down the right wing near the end? He did his old trick yet again....... he got his shoulder past the defender and with a strong surge across the defender would have been in the area and completely clear on goal.............. and then he turned around again! :rolleyes::angry:

Funnily enough TND .... I did which I don't think people will be surprised to hear , don't know if BobF was listening though :P

Quote Le Chuck......

"The problem Hughes now faces is what does he consider Bentley's primary position? He's at an age now where that needs to be decided as soon as possible, if he switches between right midfield and holding midfield he'll probably become a useful squad player without mastering a specific role.

Personally I see a brighter future for him in the Tugay role, he has all the basics you need to play there. He'll obviously need to learn the defensive side of it more, but learning when to move to intercept passes etc would could with time (as indeed they did with Tugay). His lack of real pace will always hold him back on the wing I feel, he'd always need an overlapping full-back to be able to cause problems from out there."

Despite my initial misgivings I'm pleased to say that he has come on a long way and the coaching team have worked wonders with him. His skill is unqestionable but his pace and physical strength are lacking. He might toughen up but only time will tell.

I know exactly what you mean Theno, but when I think back to the really great AMF's of yesteryear, Finney, Douglas, Crossan, Mooney, Langton........etc,etc; not one of them was over 5' 7" and weighing in the range of 8+ to 9+ stone. Are you saying that they would be no use in today's game?

I'll answer my own question in case I don't like the answers I get from others :rolleyes: OK, it was a completely different game then in lots of ways. First and foremost the game was about scoring more goals than your opponents, attacking came first, defending a very poor second in the tactics dept. Next there was a lower pace to the game and a lot more skill and creativity both in passing and running with the ball. Any player in those days that was incapable of taking the ball past an opponent by either trickery or pace would never have become a professional footballer at any level. Lastly there was very little cheating and diving (almost unknown), and the standard of reffing was much more balanced and fair, though at the time we did not always appreciate this. There were no big clubs getting favour, because there was no pressure on the ref's from media to make them do it.

All in all, a much more enjoyable Saturday afternoon experience. :)

Edited by Fife Rover

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.