BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Joe Garner

Manflu means I miss the game... Not happy.

Not really what your point is, but let's put it this way, has Hughes stopped any of these young players getting regular first team football at Ewood? If Hughes really wanted Garner he wouldn't be plying his trade at the third level of English football. Ditto McEvely, who is about to get relegated. And Gally is about to join Garner, if he's not careful.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes did want to keep McEveley, hence the contract offer. However, McEveley didn't rate his chances of first team footy so he left.

Let me remind you, Hughes is a great manager but he's not God. I.e His judgment is not infallible.

Edited by rover6

So Hughes didn't want him that much then.

Of course Hughes gets it wrong from time to time, but compare his resources to the rest of the premiership and I tend to conclude he's getting most things right, most of the time.

Compare that to your carping, week in, week out: half the team is crap and should be sold, Hughes is part of some conspiracy that blocks young players getting into the first team, and the rest.

:rover: hughes seems very wary off blooding any youngsters,how pedersen plays week in week out is beyond me,how derbyshire never gets a game is beyond me,most youngsters realise they have too leave ewood to get a game,sad but true :brfcsmilie:

:rover: hughes seems very wary off blooding any youngsters,how pedersen plays week in week out is beyond me,how derbyshire never gets a game is beyond me,most youngsters realise they have too leave ewood to get a game,sad but true :brfcsmilie:

Maybe he just plays the players he thinks are upto the job? He knows whether Treacy is ready or not - and Derbs hasn't done much when starting!

Thats not right, many of them havent been good enough thats why they dont play. Garner was never going to be premiership standard and Matty so far hasnt pushed himeself hard enough to get into the first team jus a shame he picks up an injury last night.

You should ask who brings these young kids in through the acedemy door only to find they just dont cut the ice at this level.

Matty has had his chances and I've yet to see him impress when he's started. He's put in some very good performances off of the bench, but he doesn't have enough quality if he isn't coming on towards the end of the game to add that bit of pace and running.

have any of our youngsters left ewood and gone onto better things, thus proving Hughes wrong?

After a quick glance at the scoring charts, it seems the only striker in the entire list to have scored goals at League One level or lower is Dave Kitson from Reading. After an even quicker look at the Premiership, only Marcus Bent, Kevin Davies, David Healy and a few Derby strikers have been at that level and since forged a Premiership career (in the case of the Derby strikers I use this term very loosely).

The stats certainly aren't on Garner's side, and even the players that have made it up from that level probably wouldn't touch our starting line-up.

It's a sign of a healthy academy system if released players are doing elsewhere. It's better to let guys go, imo, than horde them jealously without giving them real opportunities.

I know it's a slightly unfair comparison but look at Arsenal's Alumni in the top two tiers of English football: Bentley, Harper, Sidwell, Muamba, Kilkenny, Stokes, Matt Connolly, Chilvers, John Halls, Dickov, Jerome Thomas, Graham Stack, Stuart Taylor, Bothroyd, Richard Hughes, Livermore...

And we're getting worried about Garner! (Admittedly, you can hear the sound of the barrel bottom being scraped at the end of that list).

Edited by rover6

It's a sign of a healthy academy system if released players are doing elsewhere. It's better to let guys go, imo, than horde them jealously without giving them real opportunities.

I know it's a slightly unfair comparison but look at Arsenal's Alumni in the top two tiers of English football: Bentley, Harper, Sidwell, Muamba, Kilkenny, Stokes, Matt Connolly, Chilvers, John Halls, Dickov, Jerome Thomas, Graham Stack, Stuart Taylor, Bothroyd, Richard Hughes, Livermore...

And we're getting worried about Garner! (Admittedly, you can hear the sound of the barrel bottom being scraped at the end of that list).

Bloody hell Mr6 - Dickov?!?!?!? You're going back a few years! If you're comparing a similar timescale, then from the Rovers academy you'd have to include the likes of Burgess, Taylor, Walters, Douglas and many others that I can't think of but other folk more familiar with the Academy no doubt can. I understand your point but your evidence to justify it is flawed I'm afraid.

• 4 weeks later...
Bloody hell Mr6 - Dickov?!?!?!? You're going back a few years! If you're comparing a similar timescale, then from the Rovers academy you'd have to include the likes of Burgess, Taylor, Walters, Douglas and many others that I can't think of but other folk more familiar with the Academy no doubt can. I understand your point but your evidence to justify it is flawed I'm afraid.

Shouldn't have included Dickov but you see that Arsenal don't just buy foreign youngsters. They have produced a healthy amount of Brits who are now plying their game in the top two tiers of English football.

Is there a club with a better record of rejects going on to have decent careers?

Hes just a Gallagher not good enoguh for the prem but good in the lower league.

Why keep paying someones wages when they arnt going to play it was good business in letting him go as we dont want to ruin or stall anyones career.

I agree with the second sentiment.

ROvers shouldn't stall and potentially jeopardise a career by hording talent that they do not have use for.

Edited by rover6

So basically we've lost out on at least £850,000 (in reality probably more) by selling him this summer instead of loaning him out.

Absolutely, and you're right to say in reality probably more. If he keeps us his current form he'll break 20 goals this season and would be a target possibly even for lower ranked Prem teams. We should have been loaning him out this season and next, to a Championship club to see how he copes with that.

I would love to know the reasoning behind selling him.

I would love to know the reasoning behind selling him.

:rover: my nephew who is home from iraq on friday mates with joe,i will ask him the reason why he left,i'm sure it was that he wanted to play 1st team football at a decent level,actually turned down 500k to play for dundee utd :brfcsmilie:

What was Garner's contract position?

Good question - anyone?

:rover: my nephew who is home from iraq on friday mates with joe,i will ask him the reason why he left,i'm sure it was that he wanted to play 1st team football at a decent level,actually turned down 500k to play for dundee utd :brfcsmilie:

I'm sure a loan at a League One/Championship team could've been arranged, with the expressed intention of giving him a chance next season if he did well. Seemed to work for Derbyshire.

• 5 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.