• Joe Calzaghe - Boxer
    • Ricky Hatton - Boxer
    • Nicole Cooke - Cyclist
    • Monty Panesar - Cricketer
    • Beth Tweddle - Gymnast
    • Phil Taylor - Darts
    • Jenson Button - Formula 1

what about Chelsea

If it goes to a text or telephone vote then United will be team of the year, Ronaldo will be overseas personality of the year, Rooney young personality of the year and Ferguson will get the main award.

I can't see anyone other than Darren Clarke getting the award. It's a world cup year and our footballers were shocking. It is therefore going to be the Ryder cup team and Darren Clarke that will win.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 7 2006, 13:34 ) 465871[/snapback]

Phil Taylor ;) ... I was so tempted to edit your post there Paul ;)

I bet that Calzaghe can ride a bike, but I dare say Cooke can't box. Like Beth Tweddle, Cooke has no chance of winning, as nobody really gives a toss about their sports. Same would normally go for the Horse woman, but she's a bit more high profile being in the Royal Family and all that.

Think her mum won it one year in the seventies as well. Now there is no way a horsewoman would have won it if she hadn't had HRH before her name.

I know, which is why I shall be voting for the first time and I'd urge everyone to have a look at Cooke, she's fantastic.

However , cycling is a minority sport with little or no credibility when it comes to true sporting prowess . You may as well vote for the Pharmacist of the Year .

Women's cycling may not be as contaminated as the men's but it's hardly high profile and a vote for a lady cyclist would only highlight the deficiencies in British sport at the moment ..

Calzaghe , on the other hand , is one the greatest boxer these shores have produced . His record speaks for itself in the hardest and noblest sport of them all .

Daren Clarke has said that he doesn't want the sympathy vote .....but will probably be ignored . The public will text and phone him their votes for all the wrong reasons . Never mind Joe ....

However , cycling is a minority sport with little or no credibility when it comes to true sporting prowess . You may as well vote for the Pharmacist of the Year .

Interestingly more people take part in amateur or recreational cycling (3.2 million), then play football (2.9 million). Apparently fishing is less than 300,000......but I do take your point, you're considering spectator or media interest rather than participation. If we could get all the cyclists to vote Calzaghe wouldn't have a hope.

Women's cycling may not be as contaminated as the men's but it's hardly high profile and a vote for a lady cyclist would only highlight the deficiencies in British sport at the moment ..
Maybe but I only know who Joe Calzaghe is because he's on the list, but then I have zero interest in boxing.

Calzaghe , on the other hand , is one the greatest boxer these shores have produced . His record speaks for itself in the hardest and noblest sport of them all .

No one cares about Calzaghe because boxing has lost all credibility owing to the fact that there are too many weight divisions and too many boxing federations.

When I were a lad there were eight divisions and one federation - so there were eight world champions and any British schoolboy interested in sport could name them all. Now I would struggle to name one.

As for boxing being noble it's as bent as an Old Trafford referee. Always has been.

jim name a sport or anything thats still the same as when you were a lad....theyve invented cars and leccy since.

True, sports have changed but boxing has drifted out of the public consciousness for good reasons. It's confusing, badly managed and no one cares about it any more.

No one cares about Calzaghe because boxing has lost all credibility owing to the fact that there are too many weight divisions and too many boxing federations.

When I were a lad there were eight divisions and one federation - so there were eight world champions and any British schoolboy interested in sport could name them all. Now I would struggle to name one.

As for boxing being noble it's as bent as an Old Trafford referee. Always has been.

OK jim , you've convinced me . Zara Phillips it is for me then ..... :)

Anyone else think the "bust up" between Danny Williams and Audry Harrison is just a vain attempt to make tonights fight slightly interesting and give it a bit of publicity.

Although there was more incident in the weigh in than the whole 12 rounds last match.

Monty for me, an english man that can spin a cricket ball and take wickets? Its a bloody miracle.

I'm not sure if you could hear it on TV but the gasp by 3,000 members of the public when Clarke was in second place was amazing. Personally i didn't think that Zara had a chance at winning it, but after her little video clip and speech i have to say i like the girl. Nothing to do with the fact that shes very nice looking ;)

Well worth the £25 and a shame the shearer chant didn't take off.

What a joke, is this just the BBC trying to curry favour with the Royals?

I can really see people in Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham Leeds and the Council estates of London all rushing to the phone to vote for Zara, extremely appealing bit of eye candy though she may be.! After all three day eventing is the first topic on everyone's lips every morning! :lol:

As it is meant to be the Sports PERSONALITY of the year, not necessarily the most successful, Darren Clarke should have won it hands down. Aside from his performance (three wins) in the Ryder Cup there was another incident earlier in the year in a tournament when play had to be suspended for the day due to bad weather.

Clarke's ball was in the rough, and it was not possible to play for the green. When he returned the next day he found for whatever reason the lie had improved which usually carries a one shot penalty. Clarke called a rules official who gave him the all clear to shoot for the green without penalty. Clarke felt uncomfortable with this and chipped out sideways as if he had incurred the penalty. That act of sportsmanship ended up costing him the tournament by one shot.

What a contrast from the feigners, cheaters and divers in soccer.

The only other credible candidate for PERSONALITY for me was Paul Hunter. In terms of ongoing success, Calzaghe should have received recognition.

The queen must have had it on repeat dial.

Is horse jumping a sport?

You might as well have crown green bowls getting recognition.

As I said before, it's always boring. But it just goes to show how poor we are at sport these days that there was no recognition for sportsmen who play sports that anyone gives a damn about.

I refuse to believe that more 'sport lovers' called in to vote for Zara Phillips than, say, Joe Calzaghe or Darren Clarke. I'm not having it.

They've rigged it cos they can't face her being in the audience and not winning. Mind you, wasn't her acceptance speech good? Not rehearsed at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.