BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right when kids learnt their skills in the back streets free of cars but the culture of playing in the street doesn't exist anymore.

As Hughes said this week, the problem is standards are very high and clubs can pick up players cheaply from around the world. Last weekend they were only 100 England-qualified players starting Premiership matches and that figure will decline further over the next few years.

With only Hargreaves as a non-EPL England players, that means that 24% of the England-qualified players in the Prem will get called up to thye next England squad.

No wonder the national team will not qualify for Swaustria.

With only Hargreaves as a non-EPL England players, that means that 24% of the England-qualified players in the Prem will get called up to thye next England squad.

No wonder the national team will not qualify for Swaustria.

there might be away back for Beckham yet

"You do need a bit of luck and to be in the right place at the right time."

That's Mark Hughes on the chances of youngsters making it in the Prem, From the horses mouth.

It's that what I've been whining people into despair about. It shouldn't have anything to do with luck. There should be systematic attempts to get the best players through into the team.

Not to wait for an injury crisis or for the player to become demotivated and get kicked out.

full article

Edited by rover6

"You do need a bit of luck and to be in the right place at the right time."

That's Mark Hughes on the chances of youngsters making it in the Prem, From the horses mouth.

It's that what I've been whining people into despair about. It shouldn't have anything to do with luck. There should be systematic attempts to get the best players through into the team.

Not to wait for an injury crisis or for the player to become demotivated and get kicked out.

full article

Talk about picking out the one line to suit your long running - and quite frankly tiring - agenda.

Try these lines instead:

"the Blackburn manager insists he will continue to give youngsters a chance if they are good enough."

"But there are only so many players who have the ability and the attitude to take on board what it needs to become a Premier League player"

"They have to be exceptional players. You have to be single-minded."

And the original article was in the local paper - LET link - if you keep getting your news and opinion from rubbish dumps like Tribal it's not surprising you talk so much rubbish yourself.

Rovers reserves played Liverpool's equivalent a week ago, chatting to the lad from Liverpool doing their website updates, it would appear that Liverpool effectively have two academies, the proper one that Steve Heighway manages, and one full of Benitez recruits.

For what its worth, the guy who scored the Liverpool goal was a 'Heighwayman'

Talk about picking out the one line to suit your long running - and quite frankly tiring - agenda.

Try these lines instead:

"the Blackburn manager insists he will continue to give youngsters a chance if they are good enough."

"But there are only so many players who have the ability and the attitude to take on board what it needs to become a Premier League player"

"They have to be exceptional players. You have to be single-minded."

And the original article was in the local paper - LET link - if you keep getting your news and opinion from rubbish dumps like Tribal it's not surprising you talk so much rubbish yourself.

Talk about playing down a quote to suit your fixation on insulting people.

Thank you for posting the above quotes but imo they are just part of the rhetoric. I know Hughes has given youngsters a chance (more so than Souness) but "they have to be exceptional?!". Claptrap. Exceptional like Aaron Mokoena or Gray or Gamst on his regular bad days?

I picked up the "luck" statement because it backs up my complaint about Premiership football clubs. I keep going on about this issue because it is so important. People on this thread have been arguing the merits of the academy system. But in the end, this club is pouring money into the academy and then the manager comes out and says the chances that youngsters may get with the first team get can depend on luck - is the money being spent wisely in that case?

And he's not wrong. Jay McEveley was lucky - he got a chance at 17 due to an injury crisis. ANdy Taylor has been unlucky because he is nearly 21, I think, and has yet to make a first team league appearance.

Jon Douglas was lucky. He was on loan at Blackpool with Souey's mate, Steve McMahon. They had problems on the left wing, so Douglas filled-in. Rovers were having problems filling that spot as well and on hearing that Douglas had done a job on the left wing for 'pool, Souey hauled him back and stuck him out wide. Neil Danns and Donnelly were unlucky because, despite doing quite well on loan at Blackpool, neither played left wing and there was no CM crisis at Rovers. (Well there was but we got the Norwegian David Beckham to sort things out).

Why should luck play any part? We have got used to seeing managers caressing the egos of struggling new foreign signings, giving them game after game after game to overcome their stage-fright/culture-confusion/language-despair. But when it comes to a youngster who needs similiar supportive treatment, to be given chances to find their feet - no sign.

Things are just summed up by the sight of Djimi Traore bumbling about on a pitch for a Premiership football team. Have things got that bad in England with the academy system? Or is it, as I firmly believe, a symptom of the perverse and paranoid mentality in the Premiership where experience, be it detached from talent, is valued above promise.?

Edited by rover6

Good grief, what a load of clap trap.

Where/are any of these players you champion good enough for the top flight?

I also remember your campaign against Jon Douglas so don't use that example to support your point. Donnelly, another player you lauded, despite I presume never seeing him play was not good enough. I've seen enought of Mcevely to make the smae judgement and all the others too. I thought Gallagher might make it, but despite his super finishing he's not done enough for me.

Once again a load of crap from yourself Mr6

Rover6, two points:

This thread is about the success or otherwise of academies. You're simply arguing for youngsters to be given a chance. What are your views on the academy system?

You mention Gray, Gamst, Mokoena and Traore. Could it just be, although these players have bad days, they are more suited to Prem football than anything else rovers currently have? Yes, even Mokoena, or do you have another name that you can pluck from the list of academy lads?

Latest is that both Okkas + Nesmanchniy have already starrted training with Rovers and will spend 4 and 3 days respectfully under the watchful eyes of sparky and his coaching staff.

Rovers have also been linked with Clint Dempsey along with Fulham,Portsmouth,Everton.He is set to make his decision next week.

Rovers have signed Holding midfielder Mamadi Keita on pro terms.The German youth international is a very talented player and he should do well in the game in the very near future.

IPB Image

The guy is also quality on football manager so thats him sorted! One to watch!

Was in Liverpool today so picked up a copy of the local rag (The Echo) and read an interesting piece about the Academy system which Rafa Benitez has criticised recently. Was pleased to see that the Rovers Academy was singled out for special praise by those involved in schoolboys football in Merseyside and particularly in comparison with Everton and Liverpool.

In fact it seems that we have a good chance of producing some Scouse stars in the future a la Rooney, Gerrard (OK...maybe not in the class of those two) or Kevin Nolan.

Link online is here - 'We're Losing Future Stars'

Quote - ""I feel we've now reached a stage where we are losing outstanding players out of the city, particularly to Blackburn. Blackburn are always willing to work with the associations and schools."

As with everything to do with the Academy...it will take a lot of time. The instant results demanded in the Premiership just doesn't seem compatible with youth development at all...never mind singling out the Academy system.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• 4 weeks later...

Looking in extremely extremely underwhelmed fashion at the sort of players we've been linked with in the transfer window Warnock/Konchesky/Sherringham/Okkas/Boussabon etc it strikes me that the Academy must be in pretty poor shape if we can't bring through some squad cover equal to or better than that lot. You know you're always going to have to spend to bring in some top quality now and again but it's a shame if we're having to import run of the mill talent from outside.

Is it time to take a close look at the scouting? Or if not the coaching once they get here? Or do we need to go down the Arsenal route and start investing a lot more money in getting top youngsters to Ewood at an early age?

Not looking good. I'm pretty sure that half the reserve team will leave this summer with their contracts having expired. And they were more successful as an U18 side than our current U18s....

You would always expect a high mortality rate like that, the thing is, are the ones that stay going to pull up any trees?

Rover6, Just noticed that Cieron Donnally, you remember him don't you, he's the lad from the youth team that you felt should be playing in our first team when you had never seen him play, well he's now on loan at Southport in the Conference.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.