SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reading 1 Rovers 2

philipl

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict a clobbering against the Royals. But every cloud has a silver lining - a 3-1 hammering will see Rovers bottom out and make the players realise just how inept they really are. From then on they'll decide that it's better to actually start earning their extortionate wages instead of turning up and playing when they feel like it.

I haven't posted in a while but I'm completely fed of this half arsed crap I strangely still submit myself to.

Edited by snatchymcsnatch

Rang the ticket office before and they said we had sold about half of our allocation, which was quite a pleasent suprise to me :o Hoping to pick a ticket up for this game tomorrow before the Nancy game, best still be some left as I already booked trains :huh:

Heard about The Fernhurst. Didn't Utd "fans" kick off in there or just outside before their most recent visit?

With it being Bonfire night, they built a bonfire while singing their build a bonfire song putting city on the top etc..

Then set fire to the bonfire, so yes it kicked off, according to my CID friend..

Once red scum always red scum..

Being my nearest premier league ground looking forward to a 1-0 rovers win with the royals returning to coca cola football and a drop back down to earth

How-do handbags! Cheers for the heads up. Very informative. :)

I'm actually having my stag night round Reading after the game. (Yes, I know it's an unusual place for a stag night, but it just worked out that way!) Anything (or anywhere) I should bear in mind?

Thanks in advance!

No worries mate, can only do my best to make away fans as welcome as I can.

Interesting place to have a stag do <_< Friar Street is the place to do you drinking. 2 Wetherspoons down there (Back of Beyond and Monks Retreat), both at either end of the street. There's a Walkabout down there, behind Yates's. Avoid Reflex like the plague (opposite Monks Retreat), you get all the grannies in there because it's an 80's nightclub. It also has the sticky carpets. Up the other end of Friar Street you have Bar Risa which is pretty damn good. Unfortunately the Honeypot has closed, so no more strip joints in town as far as I'm aware.

For the after p1ssup munchies, there's plenty of kebab houses if you head toewards the station. Zorba's comes recommended, as does Gregory's opposite the station itself.

Any more info needed, don't hesitate to ask.

Avoid Reflex like the plague (opposite Monks Retreat), you get all the grannies in there because it's an 80's nightclub. It also has the sticky carpets.

WOW I think you have just persuaded me to move to Reading.

Edited by Jordan

Does anyone know the best train to get from London?

Looks like departing from Paddington, from what I have seen so far....

Where are you coming from John?

The best trains are certainly from Paddington. Every 15-20 minutes direct. 25 minute ride on First Great Western. Avoid the local stoppers though, they take an age to get to Reading (about an hour and 20).

You could also get a direct train from Waterloo, but like the local services from Paddington they take an age (although you do get to see the home of Egg Chasing and also Ascot Racecourse - even better if there's a meet on because of the posh totty!)

Hi handbags_harris,

I've done the website recommendations but have you got any insider tips about the best way from Reading train station to the ground? What about good pubs along the way?

Best way from Reading train station to the ground: get the 79 bus from opposite the station itself. It's 3 miles from the station to the ground so walking isn't really an option if you want a drink. Come out of the main entrance and cross the road in front of you. Follow the road to your right and you'll see a load of buses queued up. This is the 79 bus, and costs about £3 return (I think). That drops you outside the ground.

Pubs along the way? Are you having a laugh mate?!

Edited by handbags_harris

Coming from Clapham Junction but thinking of going from Paddington.

Hmmm...Don't know if you're aware but direct trains run from Clapham Junction to Reading quite regular (about every 20 minutes) so the total journey time would be about the same. Clapham Junction to Reading direct would be cheaper though because you don't have to use the tube (you would have to ask for a cheapday return ticket without Underground so you don't get charged for it). Here's your journey options for the tube though though:

From Paddington:

1) Get the Northern Line to Elephant & Castle, change for the Bakerloo Line straight through to Paddington (my personal choice if going via Paddington).

2) Get the Northern Line to Embankment and change for the Circle Line or District Line to Paddington.

3) You could also get the Victoria Line to Victoria Station and get the Circle or District Lines from there, but to be honest you may as well go for option 2 if doing that.

Then catch any direct train from Paddington to Reading. The majority stop at Reading so you'll not be short of any options. There's also a pub at Paddington which isn't actually overpriced and is pretty damn good. It's upstairs and called The Mad Bishop and Bear and is frequented by a lot of travelling fans from a number of clubs (early November we bumped into some random Exeter fans!).

Hope this hasn't confused you mate, but go from Clapham direct, it's much easier and gets you to the same place in the same amount of time!

Maybe Matteo will play? Centre back is his best position, after all. I'd rather see him on McEveley at centre back alongside Ooijer, with Neill and Gray at full back.

Friedel

Neill Ooijer Matteo Gray

Bentley Tugay Savage Pedersen

McCarthy Nonda

Still not convinced Derbyshire is worth a start yet, but if Nonda is still ineffective then he could be taken off at half time again.

Have we ever had a more helpful oposition fan on this board??

Very kind of you Handbag to take the time to assist away fans and their trip to Reading.

I'll second this sentiment! Top bloke Handbags (even though I'm usually sceptical of these cross dressing types ;) Seriously, though, what's the handbags moniker about, if anything?

DanLad

PS A mate of mine is mad for the grannies and is now doubly looking forward to the stag do!

I bought a ticket for this game on Monday. It is now Thursday and they still haven't arrived... :ph34r:

Reading 0 Rovers 2

A shockingly bad performance from Rovers but a dodgy penalty after a plongee from Gamst gives Rovers the lead (not sure who'd take it...Neill?) and a second from Peter.

Can I just add that not once have any of my predictions EVER come true... :rover:

I bought a ticket for this game on Monday. It is now Thursday and they still haven't arrived... :ph34r:

Reading 0 Rovers 2

A shockingly bad performance from Rovers but a dodgy penalty after a plongee from Gamst gives Rovers the lead (not sure who'd take it...Neill?) and a second from Peter.

Can I just add that not once have any of my predictions EVER come true... :rover:

Savage and Gamst were both practising penalties before the Nancy game therefore I would imagine it would be one of those two.

Maybe Matteo will play? Centre back is his best position, after all. I'd rather see him on McEveley at centre back alongside Ooijer, with Neill and Gray at full back.

Friedel

Neill Ooijer Matteo Gray

Bentley Tugay Savage Pedersen

McCarthy Nonda

Still not convinced Derbyshire is worth a start yet, but if Nonda is still ineffective then he could be taken off at half time again.

I reckon its more likely that Mokoena will play right back and Neill centre back if Todd is out, and personally I would choose Derbyshire instead of Nonda...at least then we got pace up front! and Derbyshire can't possible play worse than Nonda have played recently

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.