BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Congratulations To Newcastle United

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will Ashley ever sell the club? SKY report Profitable withdraw Toon bid.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5456939,00.html

Oh dear, absolutely gutted for them. The cockney mafia live on and Newcastle light continues to go out, like Leeds, they deserve it!

Wolfsburg released a statement saying they want Martins to play with Dzeko.

I wonder where that leaves Grafite then?

Wouldn't surprise me if Sam is looking at him, he certainly fits the profile for what we need.

"I can't forgive Dennis Wise for what he did to my club," said Sir Bobby before he passed away.

According to Sir Bobby Robson's close friend and confidant Bob Harris, who co-authored Sir Bobby's autobiography "An Englishman Abroad" - Robson pointed the finger of blame at Dennis Wise for the collapse and relegation of Newcastle last season.

Harris said that he visited a wheelchair-bound Sir Bobby at his house in Durham in June and that Robson was visibly angry at the role that Dennis Wise played in Newcastle's demise.

Sir Bobby told Harris: "My biggest disappointment was Wise, a director of football who was hardly seen at the ground, and who brought in players who were neither suitable, nor right, for Newcastle United. I forgive most people, but I am not sure I can forgive Wise for what he did to my club."

LINK HERE

It's perhaps surprising that Sir Bobby didn't feel that Mike Ashley should shoulder a significant portion of blame for Newcastle's relegation last season. Ultimately it was Ashley who appointed Dennis Wise as director of football and therefore in my view Ashley has to be held largely responsible for the chaos last season.

How that man has made so much money is absolutely mystifying.

Well Gordon, the odious Mr Ashley started off with some rather dodgy sales practices in the Sports Direct shops that he owned. He used tactics such as "closing down" sales at branches that didn't actually close. According to an article in the Daily Telegraph, Ashley also blocked suppliers' cars in the Sports Direct car park until sales were agreed - on terms favourable to him.

Eventually his company grew into a sportswear retailer with over 400 stores and sales of over a billion. Ashley's marketing strategy was to entice shoppers into his stores with well-known discounted third-party brands like Adidas and Slazenger and then sell his other brands at far higher profit margins.

The good news for those of us - like myself - who loathe this repugnant individual is that Ashley's £1.4bn fortune has now been cut in half according to the Sunday Times.

Obviously he's still loaded - but I'm pleased to say that Ashley is no longer a billionaire and he's lost around £700 milllion according to the 2009 Sunday Times Rich List published earlier this year. It couldn't happen to a nicer bloke....

When Ashley bought Newcastle United for £134 million one adviser reportedly warned Ashley that he would lose money. The adviser told him that he was taking a huge risk and said that the only way he could be guaranteed to lose more money, and become more unpopular, was to stand outside Newcastle on match day and burn £50 notes.

Ashley didn't take heed of the advice given and he did indeed go on to lose a fortune at Newcastle. What's the old saying about fools and their money being easily parted - after he made a billion quid when Sports Direct shares were floated, Ashley has since made a complete pig's ear of everything he has touched. As well as losing a huge sum with Newcastle, Ashley also lost around £200m speculating on the share price of HBOS bank.

Ashley is a fool - and an arrogant fool. Sir Bobby Robson, a gentleman, was a forgiving man if he didn't blame Ashley for Newcastle's relegation.

In my view this odious individual who appointed Dennis Wise and went through so many different managers last season should certainly take a large amount of blame for the chaos at Newcastle.

Link: Mike Ashley loses £700 million.

There's a wise old bloke who's a Geordie who works in a different department to me that I was chatting with yesterday and he completley blames Wise as well. Well more Ashley for bringing in 'That Chelsea lot' and saying that the cockney's would never dream of letting a geordie run their club so why has it worked the other way.

If you thought it couldn't get any crazier at Newcastle there are rumours floating around today that Ashley has offered Kinnear the job back once he recovers!!!

Someone posted this on a different forum I use:

SHAME ON THE CRITICS WHO NOW MOURN SIR BOBBY

THEY will come to bury Sir Bobby Robson this week, and then, in the autumn at the memorial service, they will come to praise him. The rank stench of hypocrisy will permeate it all. The honourable men and women who have lauded him since his death will queue to eulogise again. They will include those who mocked, derided and maligned him during his life. Doubtless there will be tears on Tyneside again this week. Yet Newcastle supporters spat on Sir Bobby when, as England manager, he dropped Kevin Keegan. Years later they booed him when, as Newcastle manager, he dared to drop Alan Shearer. Presumably there will be more mournful comments this week from the Supporters Club, yet when Sir Bobby was sacked as Newcastle manager, their statement was: “Recently he has lost the confidence of the players and the fans.”

Perhaps there will be another thoughtful contribution from Kieron Dyer, who marked Sir Bobby’s passing by saying: “I am going to look at all the great memories he brought to my life and all the special bits.” This is the same dire Dyer who refused to play for Newcastle when Sir Bobby wanted him to operate on the right flank.

And there will surely be reverential remarks from Freddy Shepherd, who has already announced: “He was certainly the best manager I ever worked with at Newcastle.” Yet it was Shepherd who, as chairman, sacked Sir Bobby four games into a season and announced the news with weasel words. The craven statement was: “The club agreed early in 2003 to extend Sir Bobby’s contract by one further season. However, after careful consideration the club decided it was in the best interest of all concerned to revisit that decision.” So Shepherd had told his “best manager” that the 2004-05 season would be his last. But, in the first month of that season, Shepherd and his cronies put their considerable intellects to the task of careful consideration. Then they “revisited the decision”.

In their use of mealy-mouthed euphemisms they provided a model for every hasty board that does not have the courage to speak plainly about their actions. Sir Bobby’s achievements at Newcastle can now be seen as extraordinary. But the accusation whispered behind his back at the time was that he was too old at 71 to relate to modern footballers. Perhaps he did not understand Dyer, who, during Robson’s tenure at St James’ Park, was fined for driving a BMW M3 at 80mph in a 50mph limit, then fined for driving a Mercedes S500 at 104mph, and then drove a Ferrari into the side of a bridge late at night. Or perhaps Sir Bobby did not relate to Patrick Kluivert, one of the many quixotic signings made during his reign which, later, Sir Bobby suggested had not been of his doing. Shortly after Sir Bobby was sacked, Kluivert halted a training session because he had lost an expensive earring.

If Sir Bobby did not understand modern footballers, the failing was not his. Yet it is definitely not only in Newcastle that Sir Bobby’s death has prompted a rewriting of history so as to erase uncomfortable memories of wrong-headed assessments. My profession gleefully ladled ordure on to him 20 years ago and yet now rushes out revisionist appraisals. The truth is that, particularly after the shockingly inept performances in the 1988 European Championships, Sir Bobby was vilified for most of the time he managed England. He was “Booby Robson” according to one paper. Another responded to a draw with Saudi Arabia in a friendly with the headline: “In the name of Allah, go”. The Football Association – and yes, they have added hypocritical valedictories in recent days – vacillated. Instead of backing Sir Bobby or sacking him, FA chairman Bert Millichip briefed journalists that unless England won the 1990 World Cup, the manager would not have his contract renewed. So Sir Bobby sought other employment. He agreed to join PSV Eindhoven after the World Cup – and English newspapers condemned him as a traitor. In the event, the World Cup went well. England’s stumbling but exhilarating charge to the last four brought one of the game’s all-time dramas; the epic semi-final against West Germany that brought Paul Gascoigne’s tears, defeat on penalties and a dignified acceptance of football’s vicissitudes by Sir Bobby.

It was only then that the nation he adored began to reinvent him in the collective consciousness as an avuncular, if absent-minded, football sage. As he added European successes and a remarkable longevity to his CV, the game he loved began to return that affection. Finally, as his indomitable spirit raged against age and vicious illness, we acknowledged a great man. So if we truly want to honour his memory, perhaps there is a universal truth to be gleaned from his treatment at Newcastle and England. It is that we – the media and the fans – rush to shallow judgments. A few wins, and we consider someone a genius. A few defeats, and we “revisit that decision”. ‘It is not only at Newcastle that Robson’s death has prompted the rewriting of history’

Source: http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/1...mourn-Sir-Bobby

An excellent piece of journalism that should be read by all who get paid to comment on the game.

Absolutely. One that should also be read and taken to heart by football fans everywhere. It highlights (ironically through the press) the complete failings of the press, that august body of 'self-regulators' who have no compunction in printing lies and half-truths to further their own agenda and to sell their papers. Bobby Robson deserved respect and should be mourned with that respect. Maybe an apology or two from some so called journalists wouldn't go amiss either.

• 1 month later...

Silly prat loses another £2m - but it should have been more...

new3.jpg

Newcastle United have been ordered to pay Kevin Keegan £2m in damages after he won his claim for constructive dismissal. However it's reported that Keegan was actually claiming around £25m, so the disgusting multi-millionaire chav Mike Ashley has actually got away quite lightly with this. He could have been facing a much bigger bill for damages.

Keegan said that midfielder Ignacio Gonzalez was brought to Newcastle on the final day of the summer transfer window in 2008 against his wishes.

"I resigned because I was being asked to sanction the signing of a player in order to 'do a favour' for two South American agents," said Keegan.

"No-one at the club had seen this player play and I was asked to sign him on the basis of some clips on YouTube. This is something that I was not prepared to be associated with in any way. The club knew that I objected strongly to this transfer and yet continued to go through with it."

What a way for Mike Ashley to run his football club - buy mediocre foreign players to do special 'favours' for agents, without the actual players being seen in the flesh by anybody at the club, and tell the manager who doesn't want the player that he should watch clips of him on YouTube.

Mike Ashley deserved relegation and deserved to lose millions of pounds in money through Newcastle going down. He's a contemptible two-faced individual who can't be trusted.

When Ashley eventually leaves Newcastle, I hope that this loathsome chav (who previously claimed to be a Spurs fan) doesn't get his dirty hands involved with another club. He's a disgrace to the game of football.

No other football club touch this devious man with a bargepole.

When Ashley eventually leaves Newcastle, I hope that this loathsome chav (who previously claimed to be a Spurs fan) doesn't get his dirty hands involved with another club. He's a disgrace to the game of football.

No other football club touch this devious man with a bargepole.

I would like to see him taking over Spurs!

What a way for Mike Ashley to run his football club - buy mediocre foreign players to do special 'favours' for agents, withouth the actual players being seen in the flesh by anybody at the club, and tell the manager who doesn't want the player that he should watch clips of him on YouTube.

keegan wouldn't have been the first to buy players after not watching them in the flesh, or simply watching them on youtube, would he?

Barton is out for several months following a foot operation.

Won't stop a debate on here in January over whether we should sign him or not.

Funny that. And he has had two serious injuries in recent seasons too. Yet everyone will no doubt harp on about how good he was in that one season at City in 2005 and advocate us taking him...

• 1 month later...

Archived