BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Congratulations To Newcastle United

The difference in level is far greater an obstacle than the difference in the job, this much should be obvious. A good manager at international level is usually a good manager at club level, a manager at international level has to make the best of the resources available to him and can't make signings like a club manager can so that goes a fair way to negating the increased time given to the job. The tactical side of things is still the same as club football, and for a man to get so many quality results for a fairly poor side against such high calibre opposition and managers is a far better indication as to the tactical side of things than out thinking a few League Two managers as Ince did. Yes club managers are afforded less time but if you've demonstrated your abilities at getting the most out of players, handling big egos and if you're a good tactician like Hughes demonstrated with Wales, the other bits of the job should easily follow.

And while both Rovers and MK Dons jobs may have been day-to-day club jobs, thats where the similarities end. Hughes had to carry the weight of expectation of a nation and came under more pressure and came under more scrutiny than Ince ever did with MK Dons. The media side of things again gave Hughes better preparation for a job in the Premier League, as did dealing with Premier League egos as Wales manager and earning their respect. Ince said in an interview shortly after joining Rovers that at Macclesfield he was booking coaches for away trips amongst various other things he'd never have done at Rovers. At Rovers he had to deal with some of the country's richest clubs after his star players. The two jobs may have been both club jobs but in terms of the nature of the job there was just the same gap in difference as there would be between a Premier League and national side job. And, like Bryan said, various managers couldve done what Ince did. Very few could do what Hughes did in charge for Wales.

I hope at least you're not still trying to claim that what Ince did was far more impressive than what Hughes did with Wales...

Thank you for agreeing with me, as that's what I've been saying.

Expectation of Wales??!? Such a weighty past to live up to.

Various managers could have done what Ince did, and various managers could have also done what Hughes did (you make it sound like he's the first one to ever get a national team to play above their heads - there are examples in every qualifying tournament) - though we'll never know, because Ince and Hughes had those jobs and not various other managers. I don't think you'll find too many examples of coming back from 10 points back from safety. Hughes had some good results, but once he got them in the position to win, he couldn't pull the trigger in the playoffs. Also, if you look at them getting to the playoffs, they had the worst points total of all of the second place clubs and only won one more than they lost.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for agreeing with me, as that's what I've been saying.

Expectation of Wales??!? Such a weighty past to live up to.

Various managers could have done what Ince did, and various managers could have also done what Hughes did (you make it sound like he's the first one to ever get a national team to play above their heads - there are examples in every qualifying tournament) - though we'll never know, because Ince and Hughes had those jobs and not various other managers. I don't think you'll find too many examples of coming back from 10 points back from safety. Hughes had some good results, but once he got them in the position to win, he couldn't pull the trigger in the playoffs. Also, if you look at them getting to the playoffs, they had the worst points total of all of the second place clubs and only won one more than they lost.

No, you've implied that the fact that MK Dons /Macclesfield and Rovers were both day to day club jobs made up for the fact they were at hugely different levels. I've said that the difference between the day to day club jobs in Rovers and those two League Two jobs is vast in itself and that difference is as great as the difference between a Premier League club job and an international job.

Tell me another side ranked around a similar level (100th in the world - currently 99th, 100th and 101st are Cuba, El Salvador and Kenya, Georgia the nearest Euro side are 105th) who achieved results against five top class international sides in the space of a year like Hughes did with Wales - a country who have only ever qualified for one major international tournament in their history. I think you would be hard pressed to find any such instances.

That Craig fella has just read out a statement on Sky Sports News apparently handed to him by NUFC officials.

Statement says that the club are for sale for £100m, and if anyone is interested they can email the club at admin@nufc.co.uk.

They are an absolute joke.

Just couldn't make this stuff up.

Official NUFC Statement

The Board of Newcastle United can today confirm that the Club is for sale at the price of £100m.

Interested parties should contact Newcastle United at admin@nufc.co.uk (or Keith Harris at Seymour Pierce) for further details.

The Club will not be making any further comment at the present time.

What exactly did Hughes accomplish at Wales? Choking in the playoffs? He was dealing with established professionals for a week at a time. Bruce Arena got the US to the World Cup QF in 2002 (and should have gotten to the semis), but that doesn't qualify him to manage at Premier League level.

I'm not saying that Ince was more qualified to be a Premier League manager, I'm saying that they were both a big gamble. One worked, one didn't.

How many anti-Ince people were creaming themselves about us signing Shearer, who didn't have any experience? Thank God that didn't happen.

We'll never know how it would have turned out if Shearer had taken the job. But it couldn't have been any worse than what did happen.

We'll never know how it would have turned out if Shearer had taken the job. But it couldn't have been any worse than what did happen.

Yes, it could. We almost dithered too long before sacking Ince. Sacking Shearer would have been even harder to do, and the time lost making the decision could have easily been our eventual downfall.

We dodged a bullet, no mistake.

Yes, it could. We almost dithered too long before sacking Ince. Sacking Shearer would have been even harder to do, and the time lost making the decision could have easily been our eventual downfall.

We dodged a bullet, no mistake.

Shearer wouldn't have got 13 points from 17 games then?

Shearer got 5 points from 8 games at the sharp end of the season when every NUFC player was playing for his Premiership life.

So I guess Shearer would have struggled to have got as much as 13 points from 17 at the start of the season.

Shearer wouldn't have got 13 points from 17 games then?

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest he could have done better than Ince, infact the evidence suggests a similar record was likely.

We got away with it. As I've said before, Ince wasn't JW's only error in judgement last Summer.

Suprise, suprise!

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has had offers of £10, Oasis tickets and a Curly Wurly after inviting offers for the Tyneside outfit by e-mail. The Magpies have been given a £100m price tag.

(Full story: The Sun)

There's absolutely no evidence to suggest he could have done better than Ince, infact the evidence suggests a similar record was likely.

We got away with it. As I've said before, Ince wasn't JW's only error in judgement last Summer.

Or the huge majority of the fans who wanted Shearer.

That's possibly the biggest problem facing any chairman - keeping the fans happy. Especially when fans are mostly driven by their hearts rather than their head - or in many cases their heads are just empty!

Suprise, suprise!

Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has had offers of £10, Oasis tickets and a Curly Wurly after inviting offers for the Tyneside outfit by e-mail. The Magpies have been given a £100m price tag.

How that man has made so much money is absolutely mystifying.

Suprise, suprise!

I'd bite their hands off!

Oh come on - nobody knows how Shearer would have done at Rovers - for starters he would have had an entirely different squad - and the opportunity to buy in his own players. He would also have had more opportunity to put together his own back room staff.

Also - lets not forget - the only way I think Shearer would have accepted the Rovers job would have been with far bigger transfer kitty than Ince had - whether he would have made good use of it - who know's, as he never had that opportunity at Newcastle.

You can't ignore the commercial spin offs that Shearer would have brought - and just maybe a bigger name to attract players of bigger standing than Keith Andrews (no offence to Keith, who has done an ok job).

How that man has made so much money is absolutely mystifying.

I'm not sure he could've done it all by the luck, there was a bit of acumen there but outside of flogging cheap-o football shirts I don't think he's much cop.

He certainly has doen a very good job of piddling his riches away. makes me cringe to think of how much he's lost.

By teh way, he owns Lillywhites, he's turned it into Chav heaven.

Shearer got 5 points from 8 games at the sharp end of the season when every NUFC player was playing for his Premiership life.

It didn't seem that way. They went down with a wimper against Villa and they didn't show much desire and passion in the other seven games either. Other than the victory against Boro (turned by a refereeing decision), they were poor in most their games hence showing why they deserved to go down.

Archived