BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bellamy Vs Benni

joeh8

I was talking to my mate the other day and i couldn't decide who was the better player the fast hard working mouthy bellamy or lazy skillfull benni in my eyes it's proberly bellamy as he brings pace to the side. I wish we had'nt sold him now would have been quite a front 2.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to my mate the other day and i couldn't decide who was the better player the fast hard working mouthy bellamy or lazy skillfull benni in my eyes it's proberly bellamy as he brings pace to the side. I wish we had'nt sold him now would have been quite a front 2.

Easy - Bellamy.

The only thing Benni has over Bellamy is that ability to turn on the spot very quickly such as for the 'penalty appeal' at Reading or the goal where he cut in from the edge of the box against Basle. His finishing may be comparable (he took the 'offside' goals well !)

Everything else, Pace, awareness, teamplay, heading (!), the spectacular and an ability to keep onside you'd have to give to Bellers.

Anyone want to do Nonda V Shefki :(

It's extremely ignorant labelling McCarthy as lazy, it's the same thing that was stupidly aimed at Andy Cole.

Ok then what do you want me to call it then..... Andy cole was lazy to but he scored goals and was a good player benni is lazy and is good to am not saying that but he is lazy. you don't get the same wrok rate as you did with bellamy

It's extremely ignorant labelling McCarthy as lazy, it's the same thing that was stupidly aimed at Andy Cole.

Living in denial also shows ignorance.

There is no doubt in my mind that McCarthy could work harder.

Ok then what do you want me to call it then..... Andy cole was lazy to but he scored goals and was a good player benni is lazy and is good to am not saying that but he is lazy. you don't get the same wrok rate as you did with bellamy

Nonsense. Andy Cole was a very hard-working player. It was Dwight Yorke who was lazy. And yet Rovers fans continually accused Cole too. McCarthy appears a touch lazy relatively (easy thing to say given we've had forwards showing commitment in spades in recent years- Bellers, Dickov, Kuqi), but it's really not that big a concern with him. I feel it's more down to the way he moves around than a real lack of hunger. And let's not forget we've been flogging him to death- I think the Nancy game was the first one he's missed this season. Benni's real problem, as was hugely emphasised the other day, is avoiding being offside. I'm not interested in comparing Bellers and Benni really, they're quite different players- I just wish we had them both.

Bellamy-Hands down he is a miles better player and a player who has won nothing unlike Benni who is a good player but IMo not as good as Bellers and won the Uefa Cup, Champions League etc.

Suppose it shows you can be a very good player and not win anything and be a good player and win the lot.

Benni's real problem, as was hugely emphasised the other day, is avoiding being offside.

I'd estimate that 25% of his offsides are due to laziness (or tiredness).

And there were a couple of times on Saturday when Rovers had good attacking positions and Benni was walking around 15 yards behind play - that's lazy.

I do think his positive attributes (technical skill, finishing) make up for it though - I like him as a player.

Different players. Bellamy can play without a supporting striker thanks to his lightning pace. Benni needs to play off a player, he really struggles leading the line. That said, I'd say he's a more skillful player than Bellamy and a better finisher to boot.

As for who I'd rather have, well if both is out of the question, then Bellamy, just because we're lacking pace throughout the team.

i disagree i think Mccarthy is overall better because he brings more experience. the skill he posses is amazing he can easily turn defenders and has a real strikers instinct. He has scored 9 goals already this season that orite for someone playing there first season in a totaly new league.

This is quite unfair on Benni I think. Last season we were very lucky not to pick up many injuries. Bellemy therefore had a full team to play with unlike Benni this season where we never really get the chance to play the same set of players long enough due to suspentions and injuries. Another point about last season is that we seemed to keep the ball down allot more. If nothing was on then it would be passed around and when Bellemy made his run it would be played in front of him. This year, if it gets to Neil of Gray and nothing is on its tonked as far up in the air and somewhere up front for Benni or Nonda/Roberts to chase.

So to conclude, I know its not possible but it would have been interesting to see what Benni would have been like playing with last seasons team and Bellers with this. I really dont think Bellemy would have been looked at by another team if he was with us this year instead of last.

Once we get our real team back out there then we should judge Benni and not until then. I know a striker is looked at by the goals he scores (and to be fair to Benni he does have a few) but he can only work with whats around him.

I am sure that you can all agree that things will improve all round once :-

Nelson

Reid

Roberts

Emerton

Zura

All come back and play regular.

Keep the faith people - stop talking about Bellers because he isnt ours any more and he wont be coming back

Archived