BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sit Down For The Rovers

I wasn't implying who should or who should not go to matches, I understand things work differently in England...but still to me the point of going to a game is to create an atmosphere and urge your team on (which consists of a hell of lot more than clapping or giving the odd cheer every now and then)

and no worries, I don't drink much at all :tu:

Exactly. To you. Not everyone has the same view, or indeed the physical capacity to jump up and down and shout. Don't write people off because they support their teams in different ways - not least by turning up and paying for a ticket!

Glad you're not one of the drinkers. Enjoy the odd drink myself but don't see the point in so much that I can't appreciate the match (or whatever) I've paid to see or spoil the enjoyment of others!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on guys, have a bit of consideration for others. You're spoiling everyone else's enjoyment, you're giving the Club a bad name and you're just making yourselves look completely idiotic at the end of the day.

It's not big and it's not clever.

"and some fell on stony ground............"

Rev......

What makes you think these numpties

1. Can read?

2. Use / possess a computer?

3. Contribute anything to this site?

Or to put it another way which most know decent people know anyway......... you can take a guy out of Blackburn but you cannot take Blackburn out of the guy. This godawful town is choc full of pathetic scroats that revel and delight in carrying their aggressived and boorish brand of mob culture to other clubs. Once of a day the fans used to sing witty and innovative songs adapted quickly for different situations but now it's horrible. Not a trace of humour or wit and just a constant overuse of the 'F' word.

And they have the nerve to sing about Burnley fans eating bananas with their feet. :angry:

First hint of it was at the service station where one child was taking great delight in effing constantly and worse, especially directing his unparalleled use of the English language towards a few lads who were obviously out for a genuine good time dressed as santa.

"Look at those *******! What a bunch of ******* *******! God they are ******* *******!" was about as witty as the child managed.

The sad thing was, there was a fella of mid 30s with the cretin, who was probably his father and he didn't bat an eyelid and was laughing at the kid's antics.

Makes you hark back to "children being seen and not heard" although I'd rather not see these excuses for humans at all.

This godawful town is choc full of pathetic scroats that revel and delight in carrying their aggressived and boorish brand of mob culture to other clubs.

That's the biggest load of cr@p you've posted for a long time nodrog, and you've posted some cr@p :P

Rev clearly states we're talking about 20 or so lads from a following in excess of 2000, hardly mob culture is it?

As I’ve mentioned before I'd like our support to have that edge, but that edge doesn't include some of the things which Rev points at the beginning of the thread and I really do hope that didn't spoil his day out. If that didn't the football would have.

Hardly mob culture though nod.

"and some fell on stony ground............"

Rev......

What makes you think these numpties

1. Can read?

2. Use / possess a computer?

3. Contribute anything to this site?

Or to put it another way which most know decent people know anyway......... you can take a guy out of Blackburn but you cannot take Blackburn out of the guy. This godawful town is choc full of pathetic scroats that revel and delight in carrying their aggressived and boorish brand of mob culture to other clubs. Once of a day the fans used to sing witty and innovative songs adapted quickly for different situations but now it's horrible. Not a trace of humour or wit and just a constant overuse of the 'F' word.

And they have the nerve to sing about Burnley fans eating bananas with their feet. :angry:

If its such a bad town, why support the football team?

That's just rubbish.

There's a world of difference between

a) Watching the game, having a good crack, singing your hearts out getting behind the team, jumping up if the play gets exciting and

b ) Going in solely to direct abuse towards opposition fans and goad the stewards and standing up throughout for the sheer hell of it.

I think you believe that I am telling anyone how to act at a football ground, which I am not, I'm just saying that things are viewed quite differently in other places. That's the only point I'm really trying to make, and I'm not saying which is the right way either. For example, I would find the bolded part quite difficult to achieve while sitting down, standing is more a sign of respect for the club, and abusing the rival teams is part of the atmosphere. I think many people here want football to be G-rated family entertainment, but many supporters have different mentalities, and you shouldn't force one over the other.

Not sure why only the town of Blackburn gets so much stick. If you've ever been out in Whalley, Clitheroe, Accrington, Church, Oswaldtwistle, Ribchester etc etc then you'll find young lads getting tanked up and getting into fights. It's the same all over the world where young people go out to have a good time.

All this "you can't take the lad out of Blackburn" is just a cheap shot by people not living there to try and make themselves feel all elite and superior. Can't imagine anything sadder than needing to come onto a football messageboard to try to do that. :lol:

I take it Jordan got in at 5am from the football followed by the customary night out in some dingy club in deepest, darkest Yorkshire.

Ha, not too sure what happened last night but I have a cracking hang over and a dented bank balance.

Luckily these idiots which Rev is reffering to will probably only go to a couple of away games a season and most of the time you have not go to worry about them.

When I was there age I used to act about like them and aim to get as drunk as possible but hopefully I have grown out of it and subsequently enjoy the day a lot more.

Extremely impressed with the Emirates. Usually I am very uncomfortable at away games as being a big lad it is hard to get comfortable but the emirates was great.

That's the biggest load of cr@p you've posted for a long time nodrog, and you've posted some cr@p :P

Rev clearly states we're talking about 20 or so lads from a following in excess of 2000, hardly mob culture is it?

Been in Blackburn town centre late on Fri / Sat nights recently have you Gav?

If its such a bad town, why support the football team?

cos unfortunately it's been my town and my team for over half a century now. And sometimes when all too frequently faced with situations like Rev describes God only knows I wish it wasn't.

All this "you can't take the lad out of Blackburn" is just a cheap shot by people not living there to try and make themselves feel all elite and superior.

Sorry to destroy your little illusion FLB but I said that and I pay my council tax to BwD. Oh and btw it is not difficult to feel all elite and superior around these parts.

Been in Blackburn town centre late on Fri / Sat nights recently have you Gav?

What does that have to do with, and I quote:

"This god-awful town is choc full of pathetic scroats that revel and delight in carrying their aggressive and boorish brand of mob culture to other clubs"

Surely if they're carrying their aggressive and boorish brand of mob culture to other clubs they'd not be in town on a Friday and Saturday night? Get a grip man FFS.

Do you not remember the 80's in and around Blackburn? You would not dare venture in to town if you lived in certain areas of Blackburn, now that was mob culture not 20 or so lads out of 2000 in north London.

Do you not remember the 80's in and around Blackburn? You would not dare venture in to town if you lived in certain areas of Blackburn, now that was mob culture not 20 or so lads out of 2000 in north London.

Eh? I virtually lived in Zanzibar and Mr G's. They were bloody good craic and more than useful pick up joints.

Are you sure you got the right decade Gav?

This group of cretins were to the right and slightly behind me in a different block and to judge from the ones I saw carted away they were not teenagers but more mature adults who should have know better.

It seemed to me they were the types who were determined to stand up and were challenging the authorities to do something about it. I feel very sorry for those who had seats behind them and their behaviour reflected very badly on Rovers.

I thought the Emirates was a beautiful stadium, the best in the Premiership bar Ewood of course. The padded seats and ample leg room gave a feeling of comfort and spaciousness and the view of the pitch and layout of the stadium a credit to the designer. As usual, though, there was not enough room in the concourse area and getting to the loo at half time was a trial and getting to the bar for a cup of tea absolutely impossible.

As for events on the pitch, I'm still shellshocked. I don't know whether Arsenal were very good or Rovers very poor. Some might say the scoreline was unfair on us but as some gloating Arsenal fans on the train said, they might have scored more than ten.

Have written off Liverpool match too; Boro is a must-win.

I thought the Emirates was a beautiful stadium, the best in the Premiership bar Ewood of course. The padded seats and ample leg room gave a feeling of comfort and spaciousness

Wonder if ST holders seats could be changed to padded at Ewood? They have em in the directors and guests block of the JW upper. Maybe the rewarding of ST purchasers by giviing them a few nice touches / perks could be explored?

The sad thing was, there was a fella of mid 30s with the cretin, who was probably his father and he didn't bat an eyelid and was laughing at the kid's antics.

You can probably imagine the scene when the young lad has kids of his own and decides to treat them to an away match ......a real family outing .

As I’ve mentioned before I'd like our support to have that edge, but that edge doesn't include some of the things which Rev points at the beginning of the thread and I really do hope that didn't spoil his day out. If that didn't the football would have.

Hardly mob culture though nod.

20 or so lads is all it takes to ruin a day out if you're forced to sit near them . In that respect it's worse than "mob" culture - it's rule by an ignorant minority who are tolerated by those in charge .

What the hell do the police do these days to justify picking up their wage packets ?

I spent the match stood (on the back row, obscuring nobody's view) right next to the police and stewards area and was kinda shocked at what I saw and heard.

The police wanted to adopt an Chelsea/Evertoe style aproach (if they move, chuck them out, what's more, we'll send twenty coppers down to make sure nobody objects), this view seemed to be endorsed by the two senior stewards. However the three stewards actually stewarding the block wanted a more sensible "this is a poweder keg, let's cool it down" approach. This lead to a three way polital battle, with none of the parties wanting to work together.

The end result was chaos. We had a large group (in front of Rev) who we're ignored becuase the police didn't know how to address a group of 20 (although they claimed they were "lifting the ringleader" at half time, despite the fact the guy they targeted was back in the second half). Yet the group of lads next to me were threatened by the police (loudly, and with language matching the group next to Rev) for singing a song with the word @#/? in it (the police then tried to lift the for their response of singing "lets all have a disco), thankfully the stewards intervened and the police backed down. There was also an issue with the waving a cross of St. George, that *I* had to explain why they were banned in the ground (the copper just said "because I say so").

Highbury used to be a great day out I look forward to every season, however the Emerates is now up there with Chelsea, Everton and Sunderland as examples of ground I won't rush back to becuase of the in ground management.

There were probably about a dozen of them being particularly obnoxious but they obviously had another ten or fifteen mates sat around them who were keeping stum but who seemed impressed and in awe of their pals "bravado"

Personally I wasn't prepared to get in an argument or pick a fight with potentially twenty odd of them. Not my job anyway. Conversely they're still Rovers fans (just) and I couldn't bring myself to actively urge the stewards to lob 'em out.

Perhaps others in small groups of two to four felt the same.

That is where people make their big mistake and hooligans (who are invariably cowards) get away with their obnoxious behavior. I have invariably found that if you challenge their conduct in strong and forceful terms they back down and slink away. The very worst that has happened to me in one of these situations is that one or two of the group I challenged gave me a long stare before walking off. Honestly it is as simple as that, and I have tested it out on several occasions over the years. You just have to act first and do all your thinking later.

Thats def not advice that I would give to anybody :!:

and anyway

........ they might end up moving to scotland! :)

If you think I am exagerating Theno, I can assure you I am not. There was one famous occasion in 1972 when I was sitting in the Darwen Bus on the Boulevade waiting for it to depart when I became aware of a great commotion going on outside. I looked out of the bus window and saw 5 youths laying into one young lad who had gone down on the ground and the rest were kicking and beating him. I jumped up and off the bus yelling to the other passengers to come and help. As soon as I got to the scene I just started lashing out with my umbrella and in seconds all 5 of them had fled. The lad I had helped just got up and looked at me and then he too made off in the opposite direction. I just got back on the bus with my now bent and smashed umbrella, and resumed my seat. Several of the passengers were shouting out "well done" and I remember one young chap saying "you did well there" I just turned and said in a very loud voice "Yes, but you didn't did you?".

That is the honest truth and it was the talk of Darwen for quite a while. There were numerous other occasions that I could tell you of, including one on the Riverside at Ewood in the early 70's but I will not bore you further.

My point is that if everybody stood up to these idiots and thugs they would very soon disappear from the scene, and life would return to the way it used to be pre-1970's when the whole of society refused to tolerate or allow this yobbish behaviour. It only happens now because we the public ALLOW it to happen.

Fair play, Fife. I'll lay odds that the average gobsh1te of the early '70s was made of sterner stuff than today's crop as well. I had a go at bunch of half a dozen scallies on the bus back to Wakefield from Leeds the other night for spitting and swearing. They were quiet as a mouse for the rest of the journey, and I'm not a big lad.

Can't condone the behaviour of the group in question at Ashburton Grove - embarrassing at times.

This point does seem to open up two different debates though - behaviour in the ground and the issue of standing. While there is no excuse for behaving like idiots, I do think there is an issue to address when it comes to standing in grounds.

Personally, I'd prefer to stand for the entire game. I don't because I have consideration for others but it would be nice to have the choice (I don't think I've ever sat down for an England away game and I'm often envious when you see United and Liverpool fans stand for the entire game away from home). Maybe it's time to bring in standing areas. It works a treat in countries like Germany and the atmosphere is all the better for it.

Fair play, Fife. I'll lay odds that the average gobsh1te of the early '70s was made of sterner stuff than today's crop as well. I had a go at bunch of half a dozen scallies on the bus back to Wakefield from Leeds the other night for spitting and swearing. They were quiet as a mouse for the rest of the journey, and I'm not a big lad.

Well done Y.B. So now you know as well as I do that these yobs are just cowards that hang around in gangs and assume that they can do and say anything they like with impunity. Nobody will dare to stand up to them; nobody will challenge or still less attack them. WRONG!! I will always challenge them at least, even though I have to admit that my attacking days are behind me now. And now you know that too; it works. It also helps if you don't think about it first; just sail in and get very threatening and aggressive. The yobs can't handle that; somebody standing up to them? Unknown territory! Retreat!

As I said earlier, it used to be that society as whole had it's rules and standards of behaviour which around 95% (give or take) simply adhered to BECAUSE that was the norm. And any transgressor was automatically heading into dangerous waters from an "acceptability" viewpoint, which as we all know is what 95% of society today still does; the difference being that today those inbuilt standards have got lost ( abandoned on the altar of political correctness) so today's society has virtually no consistent guidelines that are understood and accepted by all as a norm. Hence today confusion and chaos rules -NOT OK!!!!!!

The solution is: If you feel strongly about something such as yobbish behaviour or any lack of standards don't just sit and watch it happen; DO something about it either immediately or later. But whatever you do don't accept lamely or you really only have yourself to blame as standards slip still further and further, and life becomes more and more unbearable.

Either act at once (where necessary) or write to the local press, or see your councillor/MP whatever. But DO something and before long if everybody acts this way society will return very quickly to something more acceptable to the vast majority.

Archived