BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Last Night on Telly I Watched.....

YES!

i laughed from start to end....pc brigade will love it hahaha...druggies,homeless,snobs,asians,gays and more..got the makings of cult greatness

Never heard of skins, it sounds like it's worth a gander.

E4,i'll look out for that.Will it be as godd as lil Britain. :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES!

i laughed from start to end....pc brigade will love it hahaha...druggies,homeless,snobs,asians,gays and more..got the makings of cult greatness

To be fair the 'PC Brigade' would probably like such a programme, being the butt of many any accusation regarding their bias towards a multi-cultural, multi-faceted society. Conservatives on the other hand...

I have to say I'm getting most of telly from the internet now. ER, Friday Night Lights, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Sleeper Cell: American Terror and even 24 are all readily available. I'll pick up on Lost in the same way when it starts again.

To be fair the 'PC Brigade' would probably like such a programme, being the butt of many any accusation regarding their bias towards a multi-cultural, multi-faceted society. Conservatives on the other hand...

I have to say I'm getting most of telly from the internet now. ER, Friday Night Lights, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Sleeper Cell: American Terror and even 24 are all readily available. I'll pick up on Lost in the same way when it starts again.

I have a real problem with people downloading tv shows.

The growth in this area really does threaten "future tv prodution" (to paraphrase the FACT blurb on DVDs) as a lot of money is recouped by foreign sales and legit DVD releases. If tv companies don't think they'll get an audience for a programme as it's already been seen by a sizeable proportion of potential viewers they won't buy it.

Lost is a classic example. The download fraternity is a reasonable match against a percentage of it's tarhet audience. In the UK, it's cost Sky more to purchase a season than it cost the BBC to produce the first 13 episodes of Torchwood.

If Sky get neglible viewing figures as people have seen it by illegal means, they won't buy it again. Another channel might pick it up, but at a reduced cost. The American producers don't get the return to investment they anticipate and can the programme.

So think carefully before using dodgy streams and bit torrents. You might just be depriving regular viewers in the short term, and yourself in the long term.

You're analysing again , Matt ;)

:D Yes I suppose I am.

I have a real problem with people downloading tv shows.

The growth in this area really does threaten "future tv prodution" (to paraphrase the FACT blurb on DVDs) as a lot of money is recouped by foreign sales and legit DVD releases. If tv companies don't think they'll get an audience for a programme as it's already been seen by a sizeable proportion of potential viewers they won't buy it.

Lost is a classic example. The download fraternity is a reasonable match against a percentage of it's tarhet audience. In the UK, it's cost Sky more to purchase a season than it cost the BBC to produce the first 13 episodes of Torchwood.

If Sky get neglible viewing figures as people have seen it by illegal means, they won't buy it again. Another channel might pick it up, but at a reduced cost. The American producers don't get the return to investment they anticipate and can the programme.

So think carefully before using dodgy streams and bit torrents. You might just be depriving regular viewers in the short term, and yourself in the long term.

If shows were to be released at the same time in Europe as they are in the US, do you not think that there would be a sizeable downturn in internet viewing? Most torrents don't go on the net until they've been shown in the on TV (that's how users get hold of them).

Not sure why, but I quite like Justin Lee Collins. (Not in a physical way)

So I watched the CH4 documentary he made last night, where he got into the Look-A-Like talent scene. He ended up in the States, performing as Tom Jones amongst many other "Tribute" acts trying to make a living, and all performing in a showcase event for agents and bookers etc.

Although he looked nowt like Tom Jones AT ALL, he did a decent job of singing two of Toms big songs.

He was approached by a Florida agent after the performance, who reckoned he could get him a few gigs as a Tom Jones tribute act!

Enjoyable hour of pap TV, which may or not be on E4 or More4 or similar again soon.

I saw that. I thought he did a pretty good job of singing like Tom Jones. Like you say he didn't look like him but Bill Clinton's lookalike didn't really look like him

:D Yes I suppose I am.

If shows were to be released at the same time in Europe as they are in the US, do you not think that there would be a sizeable downturn in internet viewing? Most torrents don't go on the net until they've been shown in the on TV (that's how users get hold of them).

Very few programmes, especially brand new series, are sold on the international market until there's a complete set of episodes made and ready. The tv company in the buying country usually wants to ensure they've got a decent product and rarely buys blind.

Established series are getting closer to broadcast with the US transmission (24 is a few weeks behind at best) and yet still the illegal trading continues. It must be very gratifying that some viewers are so keen to watch the new series they can't wait a fortnight or whatever. But do they realise that foreign sales are often the lifeblood of the programmes they're pirating?

So the more they do it, the less foreign sales will go into the programme, and the increased risks of the programme being canned. Remember, the US tv market is incredibly ruthless.

Things im Sky+ing at the moment

Jericho (Hallmark)

Mock the Week

Room 101

Battlestar Galactica

Blade the series (Bravo)

Stargate Atlantis

Nevermind the Buzzcocks (on wednesday night if you're interested)

Mythbusters

And thats about it

I'll always watch QI if its on as well

HIGNFY

So the more they do it, the less foreign sales will go into the programme, and the increased risks of the programme being canned. Remember, the US tv market is incredibly ruthless.

Not true at all. The biggest market by far is America and they rate their programmes by how much advertisers are willing to pay during their shows. There have been any number of great shows that have been canned after 6-7 episodes due to this. Therefore, because of this early culling of shows, I can see why the UK broadcasters don't pick up new shows.

I can also understand broadcasters waiting a few weeks for the runs to get under way. America is a funny place and the seasons are broken up with the odd few weeks off here and there. I think most people in the UK would be very ###### off with all the breaks and never being able to schedule them. Never mind the fact Sky+ couldn't cope and would lose all the series links!

Some of the delays in long established shows though are crazy. Take Weeds for example (ok not too long established), that has finsihed it's second season months ago in the US yet it's still waiting to be show here. Why? Season 1 did well over here yet we are still waiting. I have managed to get and watch all episodes in HD whilst waiting.

Then there's Heroes, granted it's only just started back after it's mid season break but it's not starting on Sci-Fi until next month. Plus with it being on there I would never remember it as there is a distinct lack of advertising for channels like that.

I don't see the episode downloading really affecting the US produced TV at all. The problem is more with the UK produced stuff. We are trying to sell to international markets (with America again being the most important) yet the likes of Torchwood, Dr Who, Little Britain etc appear for download long before the US pick our little shows up.

Granted, most off all these arguments are negated by the simple fact that 99.9%* of the viewing population either don't know how to download TV content or simply don't want to.

* made up figure, I am no statastition. or indeed speller!

I guess for Australians it's like The Office, Alan Partridge or Some Mothers D 'Ave them.

Room 101 had the colossus that is Mark Steel on. He hit the nail on the head about Ben Elton.

Saw Mark Steel's show last year - he's very very good, if not slightly random at times

Not true at all. The biggest market by far is America and they rate their programmes by how much advertisers are willing to pay during their shows. There have been any number of great shows that have been canned after 6-7 episodes due to this. Therefore, because of this early culling of shows, I can see why the UK broadcasters don't pick up new shows.

Partly true.

There have been a number of programmes that survived the mid season cull in America due to foreign sales and have then picked up in the domestic market. US TV Execs openly admit the domestic market is by far their most important factor but have needed foreign sales to get marginal shows into production. HBO programmes are a classic example, they are often dependent on co-production money. And for Battlestar Galactica, the money from Sky made the first full season possible.

Moving further afield, don't forget Neighbours would have stopped production years ago if not for the financial crutch of the BBC. Hmmm, perhaps I've just shot my own argument down there. :blink:

I'm heading over the pond for 3 months and I know this is going to become an issue for me. At least as far as certain shows like Lost, you can get them from the US website (if it's a proxy thing, I can VPN into work and watch!) For 24, I'll have to go online and download the episodes from somewhere illegally. Hopefully the networks will learn from music: for a lot of people, if they can get the product online legitimately, they will. ABC is already learning this lesson and putting most of their shows online within a couple of days.

I watched Top Gear as well, thought the roadsworks stuff they did was funny especially James May and his wrong diversion signs.

The crash looked awful and fair play to Richard Hammond for letting the crash be shown and talking us through it.

Biggest cheer on the show was when Hammond made his appearence on the show second biggest cheer was when Jeremy Clarkson was introducing the Stig and said something like

"He believes that Jade Goody is a racist pig faced waste of bones and organs"

Don't think Clarkson could believe the reaction of the crowd

I watched trial and retribution.I can't wait for second part tonight,I don't know who plays the police woman, but she's a very good actress.Compelling viewing, and very real to life.

Her surname is Smurfit and is part of the Irish family that deals with recycling paper etc.

I watched Top Gear as well, thought the roadsworks stuff they did was funny especially James May and his wrong diversion signs.

The crash looked awful and fair play to Richard Hammond for letting the crash be shown and talking us through it.

Biggest cheer on the show was when Hammond made his appearence on the show second biggest cheer was when Jeremy Clarkson was introducing the Stig and said something like

"He believes that Jade Goody is a racist pig faced waste of bones and organs"

Don't think Clarkson could believe the reaction of the crowd

I don't watch Big Brother, but the remark about the Jade Goody business, improving falling rating ,when the show was losing its popularity , make you think.

At the end f the day, the press and media love it, and can't wait to full the Sunday tabloids, it's all sensationailism.

Am i the only person who doesn't watch Big Brother. :tu:

Archived