BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 Boro 1

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great 3 points and back to back victories.

by the sounds of it 2 very good finishes and the only real problem being Lucas' lack of ability to tackle.

Up to 14th i believe and level on points with Villa, who have had a "great start" so we are not doing badly!

Excellent result today on what was a terrible pitch. Still we played well up until they scored and then superbly again after we scored our second.

Not sure what Neill thought he was doing for the penalty. It was very soft but definately a penalty. Of course he should have made immediate ammends at the other end when he was blatantly clipped and although again soft, should have got a pen. The thing that really annoyed me about Neill though was that he went straight back to pushing and shoving Pogatetz at the other end. Then he got a yellow for an obvious shirt pull just outside the box on the right hand side. I really think his brain's not all there, or it's already at Liverpool.

Either way, Middlesbrough were on top for the next ten minutes after the penalty but a beautiful ball into the box from Savage and a fantastic header from Benni put us back in front. From then on in we were unstoppable.

Gamst was excellent today, maybe he needs the rain to get his motor going? And Derbyshire nearly scored one and set up two in the time he was on the pitch. If only he'd have got his shot on target it would have capped off a great display and got him going.

All in all, I really enjoyed that game. Here's to a great new year and three more points.

The pushing on Pogatetz was a very understandable thing to do, after he 1) Fell to the ground to earn Boro a penalty 2) Pushing Lucas to ground without being penalised 3) Mocking Lucas for diving and generally being a @#/? for the remainder of the match.

The yellow card was of course silly, but at least we didn't concede. I don't see Liverpool having to do with this at all..

If he werent in the habit of conceding free kicks and penalties already, the cynical side of me might be tempted to think that he did it on purpose as a final gesture to the fans.

What I cant understand is why Liverpool want him anyway.

Funny you should ask that MC. They were all talking about the speculation for a Neil to Liverpool move on Sky Sports News, and Pinnochio reasoned that Liverpool dont need him at all and was asking where would he fit in at 'Pool. He stated that Neil will not displace any of 'Pools current back 4 and that he (Neil) is only arguably equal to Warnock as 3rd choice.

by the sounds of it 2 very good finishes and the only real problem being Lucas' lack of ability to tackle.

That's a problem we will be shot of very soon with any luck. He's given away atleast three penalties this season if not more with his stupidity. It's embarrasing to call him our captain. If he's one of the best two fullbacks we have then fine, play him, but he doesn't need to have the arm band, there are definitely others more deserving.

Other than that, great result and even better to have the two forwards scoring. Nonda seemed very positive in the second half versus Arsenal last week, great to see he's seemingly carrying that on. If he can get up to 10 goals by the end of the season and Benni can make 20 we'll be cooking on gas.

Nice to hear you guys who watched the game talking postiviely about MGP - we've missed his goals this season and if we can get him firing as well we could well see this turn in to a good season after all.

Despite the conditions thought this a very enjoyable game, not one for the purist but it kept you on the edge of the seat. Rovers dominated much of the game and seemed to adapt to the conditions far better than Boro. Two good goals and while it was a solid team performance I'd pick out MGP for his contribution. Much improved over recent performances in the last 20 minutes he really played for the team providing an outlet from Boro pressure and taking a hammering on his ankles every time he held the ball up by the BBE corner flag.

Military term for being missing from duty. If you sneak out of camp, you are AWOL.

Think it's an abrevation, but not sure. Edit: Someone spelled it out.

AWOL = Absent Without Leave

Funny you should ask that MC. They were all talking about the speculation for a Neil to Liverpool move on Sky Sports News, and Pinnochio reasoned that Liverpool dont need him at all and was asking where would he fit in at 'Pool. He stated that Neil will not displace any of 'Pools current back 4 and that he (Neil) is only arguably equal to Warnock as 3rd choice.

I heard that part of the programme and thought he made a good point. He seems to prefer the idea of warming the bench of a team like Liverpool than playing every week for us.

We can do without the negative attention a want-away player brings to the club ... But this would be better in the transfer thread and I've just realised that I'm wandering off-topic :ph34r:

There really is some tripe being spouted.

First of all every credit must go to the referee who I thought was brave to let the game go ahead. The middle of the aprk and the flanks were simply waterlogged in the first half after incessant rainfall in Blackburn all day.

Having been on nights all week, I drove to Ewood through the pouring rain with only two real concerns, one being tha tthe game would be played the other about our two black pearls and how they could adjust to this type of North Western England weather. Arriving on LBR, I sat in the car listening to how Charlton scraped another last gasp win and what effect that result could have on BRFC vesrus the Boro in another 6 pointer of a game.

The short walk to the ground saw me pi$$ed wet through along with fellow supporters. A quick glance at the pitch from the JW upper didnt really fill me with confidence that the game would start.

However, with 22000 fans in the ground, the game kicked off. Rovers wee clearly the much better prepared side, they adapted to the conditions which at best could be described as tricky. Some nice touches were countered by some erratic passing and defending but Rovers had the upper hand. The Black Pearls were both full of running and an exquisite ball by Lucas saw Nonda despatch yet another fine Rovers volley into the net, the ball flashed past Swarzer before he could move. 1-0 Rovers, comfortable with Boro having no ideas except to gain booking after booking.

The half time talk must not have been its usual self as on starting the second period, the roles were reversed. Now it was Rovers who floundered and flustered as Boro finally decided there was a game of football to be played. A stupid free kick given away by Rovers saw a corner ensue. What happened next was just typical Rovers, a bit of pushing and pulling and then Lucas throws the Boro player to the floor, all in front of the referee, who was still haing a fine game. There could be no complaints as the penalty was despatched into the net by an anonymous Yakubu. 1-1 and game on.

Rovers got back in their stride, great runs by Nonda and McCarthey, fine play by MGP, supporting efforts by Bert and Bentley all came to nothing until Roberto Savage clinically swept in a corner clearance, bang onto the head of Benni and he ball settled nicely in the net. 2-1 Rovers Boro out of the game. They were clearly deflated by the killer goal. From this point on Rovers toyed with Boro, took the pi$$ and basically ran them ragged. The game should really have seen us winning by 4 or 5 more goals. Young Derbyshire should have cemented the game but his shot was slightly deflected.

So, another vital 3 points in the bag, yet another Boro double and two back to back home wins. Who could have forseen that after what happened at Arsenal ? Other results have gone our way to ensure that Rovers have that vital gap as we enter into 2007.

I aint gonna bother with player marks. Just to say that I am glad that MGP has finally today become the player we thought he could be, not only did he tackle and fight for every ball he actually took on the defender several times and beat him hands down ! The whole team deserve every credit due them for the effort in what was truly a pitch of the past. There wont be that many of us on this forum who will recall pitches like Ewood had today !

From the JW Upper, there were a number of interested parties in the stands. Chelsea had representatives as did Newcastle and Liverpoo. Their clear targets being Lucas and Woodgate. The rumours were telling us that David Dunn and the Ukrainian were both seen entering the ground although I didnt speak to anyone who actually saw them.

So then everyone, the last Saturday of the year leaves me with nothing more to say other than a Happy New Year to everyone and may 2007 see Rovers reach the Eufa Cup Final, have a fantastic finish in the league and see a sugar daddy come to Blackburn, buy the Town and make Rovers a top 5 team again. :brfc:

Am I the only one to think that the MOM was a bit of a joke. For me - Emerton, MGP and McCarthy were all better than Oiijer.

Special mention for the referee - who nearly lost us the match for not sending of one of the Boro players for a clear yellow card offence (which would have been his second). And also for MGP and McCarthy - Pedersen had one of his best matches in a Rovers shirt, full of endevour, fight, skill and (most surprising) ability to take on his man - McCarthy, what can I say, 2nd half he took the Boro defence to the cleaners (any one else see the wild swipe by Woodgate at him - defo yellow card imo) and deserved more than his goal.

Derbyshire - secret weapon for the future ? He made a definite difference when coming on - adding pace to exploit a tiring Boro defence.

All in all a good day - especially considering the pitch was more suited to water polo for the 1st half.

Result

Rovers 2 Boro 1

He He

I am getting good at this!!

Brilliant result for the lads - I am well chuffed.

Another three points against Wigan and we will be looking up rather than down.

Just about to go out around the gate, probably write something at about 5am.

Archived