BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ferguson Stripped Of Rangers Captaincy

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early front runners appear to be Walter Smith and Billy Davies.

I would be disappointed if Smith was appointed - he's done too good a job for Scotland for it to end prematurely. Davies would be an excellent appointment, did a cracking job at Preston and is following it up well at Derby. Outsider may be Paul Sturrock at Swindon - I'd be happy with that also.

As long as its not Souness :(

Utterly bizarre turn of events. Murray seemed to be backing Le Guen by allowing him to take the captaincy from Ferguson.

Ah but Murray held "crisis talks" with Ferguson after he got the captaincy taken away from him.

I used to quite like Rangers, but this has turned me off them big time. I hope the next poor sap they appoint makes a right bobbins of it with Barry being an ever-present.

I think Le Guen is better off out of it.

The latest news in Scotland is that the Rangers supporters through one of their various highly influential clubs have condemned this cave-in to "player power" saying nobody is bigger than the club and some factions are calling for Ferguson out, with still others calling for the board and/or Murray out. Few if any are looking to get Le Guen re-instated but some resent the club caving in on principle and want Ferguson out.

Sympathy for Le Guen might be misplaced.

Graham Roberts was on TalkSport at tea time and said the story doing the rounds up there was that before a recent game in which Ferguson wasn't playing a couple of the senior players (Prso and I can't remember the other name) attempted a "let's get stuck into them" type of speech to motivate their team mates.

Without wanting to sound too "League of Gentleman" Le Guen allegedly said something like "What's this we'll have none of that here"

According to Paddy Power who was also on the show early betting had Walter Smith and a certain Mr. G. Souness (will they never learn? :rolleyes: ) as joint favourites for his replacement at 4/1.

Billy Davies ( who would be a great appointment imo) just behind at 6/1.

Ah but Murray held "crisis talks" with Ferguson after he got the captaincy taken away from him.

Murray, Ferguson and VIOLA I'd wager! Don't forget they are business partners in housing and I'd wager partners in crime in fraudulent practice involving transfer activity.

Le Guen was keen to go because he has been offered the Monaco job ; Ferguson stays at the club he professes to love and Murray can appoint another manager to get Rangers out of their current mess ; so it's winners all round.

Smith is favourite to return with McCoist as his assistant.

The Monaco job, there's a good place to go after you've been forced out by internal bickering.

I imagine he'll not take a job until at least at the end of the season and that despite what he says he'll end up at PSG.

Early front runners appear to be Walter Smith and Billy Davies.

I would be disappointed if Smith was appointed - he's done too good a job for Scotland for it to end prematurely. Davies would be an excellent appointment, did a cracking job at Preston and is following it up well at Derby. Outsider may be Paul Sturrock at Swindon - I'd be happy with that also.

Have to agree about Smith & McCoist. Would be a shame if they were to leave already, especially after having got the Scottish national team back on the rails and top of the Euro qualifying group!

I know Billy Davis from his DAFC days (as a player), and he has a real football brain. He has done well at PNE and is doing OK at Derby. I think he could do the job for Rangers; certainly worth a try, and better risk than Souness.

BBC and others seem fairly certain that it will be Smith and McCoist going to Ibrox.

Here's hoping they're wrong and Billy Davis gets the job, since after a tip-off from a friend of a friend (insert :rolleyes: here), I had a bet on him at 20-1 on Betfair.

That supposes he'd want to go there ...

In his shoes, I wouldn't.

You'd have to understand the size of a club that Rangers are considered to be North of the border. Which you obviously do, behind your dislike for them.

Of course he'd go there. He'd jump at the chance.

You'd have to understand the size of a club that Rangers are considered to be North of the border. Which you obviously do, behind your dislike for them.

Of course he'd go there. He'd jump at the chance.

Especially with Davies being an ex-Rangers player and supposed supporter.

What about Moyes jumping ship, or is he from the green half of Glasgow?

Moyes played for Celtic - I'm not sure if the Old Firm are quite ready for hiring former employees of the other half as their managers yet.

Anyway if you believe the media all this talk is fairly academic with Smith set to be appointed.

What about Moyes jumping ship, or is he from the green half of Glasgow?

Leaving a Premiership club for the SPL is a step-down...whatever the size of crowd the Old Firm may get. It's reflected in the players they get in...although Celtic have a very good side second-placed Hearts have in the last few years lost players to the likes of Wigan. The lack of money earned from TV makes the SPL a poor neighbour of the Premiership...and that will increase markedly next season when the new contract starts.

Celtic at least have the Champions League but no other team is guaranteed of that.

Archived