Modi

TV money v KO Time  

213 members have voted

1. 1. What are your views on the Leverkusen 6pm KO

• I understand the club's logic and will be going
    • I understand the club's logic but the KO time prevents me from going
    • I'll be taking time off work to attend and don't like this
    • I'm annoyed with the club, the fans shoud come first

You've not exactly had six weeks off, Abbey, you've been off for a legitimate reason - i.e. a broken arm. Now I'm sure some of the kind-hearted posters on here would be willing to set the healing process back a bit................. :unsure:

I'm sure a quick-witted bloke like you can come up with some reason that the boss will accept - how about a hospital appointment to check the arm? ;)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rovers have done their best to get fans to Ewood for this game.

Yet fans are still not happy and nit picking at the kick off times...

It makes you wonder whether its just an EXCUSE.

how can thay have done their best to get fans to the match, if they had done their best the game will be kicking off at decent time and not a stupid time

if you think it's an excuse i won't be attending the match, you are talking quite utter nonsence because i have not missed a game for ages

Rovers have done their best to get fans to Ewood for this game.

Well I know of 3 paying fans (non season ticket holders) that cannot go now because of the time. These are people that like the mid week games that cannot commit to weekends with a season ticket. I encourage them to go and this just looks like the club discouraging them.

how can thay have done their best to get fans to the match, if they had done their best the game will be kicking off at decent time and not a stupid time

if you think it's an excuse i won't be attending the match, you are talking quite utter nonsence because i have not missed a game for ages

gaz, I've booked half a day off, I'd rather not have had to but putting it into persepective this is to get us into the last 16 in a European competition (who'd have ever thought that!), and if you're a season ticket holder it's free.

It's a no brainer - half a day off please thank you.

(if you can't book the time off I sympathise - have you considered being ill?).

(if you can't book the time off I sympathise - have you considered being ill?).

I thought the same thing. And to make sure, take the day off before and after too. Start coughing two days before

Well, I'd consider myself a pretty hardened supporter - I'm a season ticket holder and go to at least half the away games - and I'd have willingly paid £30+ to watch the match at a normal time, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make a 6pm k.o., free or not.

This annoys me greatly as I've been to virtually every European game this season (only missed Feyenoord away) and was looking forward to this one. I can understand why the club have made the decision they have, sadly money talks these days in football, but it's just another example of clubs putting the fans second. And the longer clubs continue to do that then the more empty seats there will be.

It's catch 22 for the club. The fans want the club to put them first but at the same time they want Rovers to go out and sign Wayne Bridge, Craig Bellamy to Partner Benni up front etc etc.

This takes money, which the club is not getting from gate receipts so needs to look elsewhere i.e TV revenue.

On one hand not putting the fans first stops supporters coming, but on the other it's lack of big name signings and quality on the pitch. Can these go hand in hand :huh:

Wouldn't it be quicker (if a longer distance) to go via the M6? Or am I being daft

There are four potential routes:

M56/ M6/M65 - Thelwall and M56 are a problem as is area around Haydock. It is longer by 7 miles

M60 clockwise/M61/M65 - nightmare at Trafford Centre

M60 clockwise/M66/Grane Road/M65 - nightmare at Trafford Centre/Bury and Grane Road

M60 anti-clockwise/M66/Grane Road/M65 - nigtmare at Stockport and Bury not to mention potential queue off the M65 at Ewood

I do this all the time and there are bottlenecks everywhere. I shall leave work early but if I couldn't I'd use the train and then train back to work in the morning.

As I said earlier its a tremendous idea but I feel it might have an adverse effect.

As Scotty as posted I think most can understand why the club have done it, however this could be the sign of future things to come .... are we the first to do this in the UK?? and even though people might scorn at Abbeys rants the way things are going in Football when will it stop, 3am on Thursday morning / midnight on Friday :angry::blink:

For whatever reason of who can make it or not (everybody will never be pleased), in the general term of things, put into context it is at the end of day a stupid kick off time, regardless of the reason of why the club have done it. And as already posted, I feel could lead to other problems.

I hope the club get a bloody crap crowd because they deserve it

Maybe picketing the ticket office would be a good idea as well, and send your season ticket back as well. That'd teach 'em!

I'm certainly giving strong thought to walking around the ground with a placard next time there's an evening kick-off which is a pain to get to or home from for me. Trouble is, I think I'd get bored doing the protests at every other evening kick-off.

I finish at 6 in Accrington so I wont be going

I understand why the club have done it but 6pm for a home match in the UK on a weeknight is difficult for many to get to or even watch on a TV or in a pub.

Im very disapointed I'll be missing one of the biggest games in Rovers history

mines not excuse,work in liverpool and am currently on the sick with broken arm but due to go back next week .hey boss can i go early i know ive had 6 weeeks off but its rovers....can just imagine the response

Just tell your boss that cos of your broken arm you know how, Cisse, Baros and Carragher must have felt (correct me if I am wrong with the names) I'm sure being a fair Liverpudlian he'll let you go. :D

Rovers can just not win. Seems to me the last bout of excuses was too late for the kids etc. can't win can they.

I'm astonished at the lack of flexi-time working all these posts are representing. I've got a bunch of employees and apart from those covering service-level commitments, I don't mind people working flexibly as I know they put the hours in and more when needed. People know if anyone is taking advantage and a quiet word in the ear and an increase in the task list does the trick.

I too work within walking distance of the airport. Only one route for me though, M60, M61. I have to call home to pick the kids up. We might be late but we'll be there. :tu:

That's the spirit! Mega-applause from me. This is when the "old" British attitude (we'll manage somehow) and the new British attitude (the world owes me a living and that living should be dropped at my door) displayed by some on here are in stark contrast.

I think a better option for this game would be to revert to a scheme used a number of years ago, where by children from local schools are brought to Ewood via transport, and supervision is provided. Does anyone know why this scheme is no longer used.

Also, anyone think that there would be any mileage in providing £1 entrance for under 16's accompanied by an adult on a more regular basis - sureley would help to increase gates?

I think , for health and safety reasons , there has to be one adult for every ten or so kids on such excursions . These are seen as one offs by all concerned when what's really needed is to get the kids going regularly with a paying adult or two .

You're right IMO that kids should be targetted more in schools etc on a more regular basis . How much free time do the players get these days ?

The good thing is it is about 6 weeks till the game therefore hopefully people will have enough time to arrange a shift swap or holiday through their work. Luckily I have arranged to finish at 15:00 that day but I feel for those who cannot get time off work as easily. I would be gutted if I was in Abbeys position.

Also Eurosport were advertising the fact that they will be showing all Blackburns games in the UEFA Cup so shorly there was already an agreement that the game would be shown on Eurosport.

Suppose if the game went to extra time and penalties the game could have gone on till about 11 which is not ideal for those who dont live locally.

I think even if the game was at 19:45 then we would have struggled to get 20,000 even if the tickets were say £15 for season ticket holders.

So, if you've not missed a game for ages you presumably were able to make arrangements to get to Salzburg, Krakow and Feyenoord OK? How about Charlton at 8.00 on a Tuesday? As I think Paul pointed out about 10% of season ticket holders don't go to midweek night matches, presumably because they can't get there mostly. No doubt some of them will be able to get to a 6.00 kick-off, including many kids, especially as it's half term on that week. It's a pain and I'm really sorry if you can't make it but please accept that there will be plenty of people who can make a 6.00 kick off who couldn't come at 8.00.

I'm astonished at the lack of flexi-time working all these posts are representing. I've got a bunch of employees and apart from those covering service-level commitments, I don't mind people working flexibly as I know they put the hours in and more when needed. People know if anyone is taking advantage and a quiet word in the ear and an increase in the task list does the trick.

I'm luckier than most in that in teaching you do get to finish early (3pm generally in our case) but you can't get out of the compulsory extras like parents evenings for anything other than life or death issues. Still hoping the head's been able to move our parents' evening. If only more parents were Rovers fans there'd be no problem because parents wouldn't come when the match was on but unfortunately the number of Rovers fans among our parents is minimal.

I too work within walking distance of the airport. Only one route for me though, M60, M61. I have to call home to pick the kids up. We might be late but we'll be there. :tu:

That's the one I'll be using as well Aggy. Tear up the motorway, chuck the kids in the car, sandwiches on way to ground, flask at HT. :)

On a more serious note I think one or two posts have commented on the real issue; this is a first and perhaps it has to be tried to gauge reaction. We already have to put up with weekend fixtures being all over the place if midweek games are subject to TV demands as well it will finish things off nicely. As Clough said one day they will pay the support to attend. Whatever the outcome I'm sure the club will respond accordingly in future. You never know it could be a roaring success.

I'll make sure BRISA put this on the next agenda

Do you work Jan?

I have not a missed a game for ages and to miss such an important match like this because of this stupid and damn right rude kick off is SCANADLOUS

I hope the club get a bloody crap crowd because they deserve it

EUROSPORT and most of the Rovers fans will have to watch it on Eurosport because they won't be able to get to the ground

Seeing as you've managed to post 18 times during your working hours today - similar to most days since you started posting here - you have lots of options ->

1) be more productive at work and ask your boss for a couple of hours off on Feb 22 as a reward for your improved performance. This would be great for all of us because you'd stop posting so bloody much.

2) ask your friends at work to cover for you for a couple of hours that afternoon and offer to do the same for them if they ever need it.

3) arrive in work at 7am instead of 9am.

4) take some holiday - you appear to feel very strongly about not missing the match so this will be no great sacrifice.

5) point out how much you use this site when you should be working and ask your boss for the sack

On the issue of TV, try and get your facts straight before spouting rubbish. Eurosport have nothing to do with this at this stage. I assume it is ZDF who want to show Leverkusen and Bremen back-to-back as that is what they are doing on the 14th. Whoever the German broadcaster is, Rovers HAVE to go for maximum revenue at this stage of the competition - and assume - not unreasonably - that the fans will want to be there for such a big game.

I wonder if the Leverkusen fans are ranting and raving about the 1715 KO for THEIR home game!?

Archived