BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Bentley

Nice one Bentley. Performances this season suggest he definitely deserves it. Hopefully should shut the media up when the usual summer transfer bs comes around.

despite the new deal, come the summer, he'll still be a name linked with the 'big' clubs.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bentley has got balls to sign a new deal with us, thus kissing his England chances goodbye for the next couple of years.

I would disagree Matt.

Maybe this could be the case, but I really feel that they can't ignore David anymore and within the next three games he will get his call. I was chatting to him very briefly after the Leverkusen game. He basically said that he can't do any more than what he is currently doing, but will continue playing at the highest level possible and take things from there. He could be aware that playing for Blackburn could ruin his chances for a call-up but I'm sure he along with his team-mates, coaching staff, england scouts all know it's only a matter of time. In my opinion of him he has matured greatly as a player and can see him getting his call before the end of the season.

Out of interest (off topic I know)....

Who was the last rovers player to be called into the full England squad (when at Rovers - i.e. not Warnock)

Thompson? Dunn?

• David Thompson was the last Rovers player to get a call up to the full England squad back in October 2002 for the Euro qualifiers against Slovakia and Macedonia. Although he managed the call-up, he never actually played for England.

• David Dunn got his one and only call back a month earlier than Thompson for the friendly against Portugal, but like David he never played.

• If memory serves me correctly I think that either Tim Flowers or Jason Wilcox were the last Blackburn players to make an appearance for the full England International scene. Flowers retired from the International scene in 1998. Wilcox managed 3 caps and was included in the Euro 2000 squad, but was never used in the tournament.

I would disagree Matt.

Maybe this could be the case, but I really feel that they can't ignore David anymore and within the next three games he will get his call. I was chatting to him very briefly after the Leverkusen game. He basically said that he can't do any more than what he is currently doing, but will continue playing at the highest level possible and take things from there. He could be aware that playing for Blackburn could ruin his chances for a call-up but I'm sure he along with his team-mates, coaching staff, england scouts all know it's only a matter of time. In my opinion of him he has matured greatly as a player and can see him getting his call before the end of the season.

• David Thompson was the last Rovers player to get a call up to the full England squad back in October 2002 for the Euro qualifiers against Slovakia and Macedonia. Although he managed the call-up, he never actually played for England.

• David Dunn got his one and only call back a month earlier than Thompson for the friendly against Portugal, but like David he never played.

• If memory serves me correctly I think that either Tim Flowers or Jason Wilcox were the last Blackburn players to make an appearance for the full England International scene. Flowers retired from the International scene in 1998. Wilcox managed 3 caps and was included in the Euro 2000 squad, but was never used in the tournament.

Did Dunny not get on off the bench in that game which I think was at Villa Park? Or am I having a "senior moment"?

Why is that true? Micah Richards, Joey Barton, Konchesky, Andy Johnson, Ben Foster, Chris Kirkland are all at similar or lesser clubs but have recently been in the england squad. Seems more players from small teams are breaking in nowadays.

Oh come on, don't let a silly little thing like facts get in the way of complaining about how Rovers are hard done to.

It was probably the referees that did it.

Coversely, Friedel, Oiijer, Nelsen, Tugay, Pedersen, Emerton, Reid, Savage, Peter, Mokoena, McCarthy, Roberts, Nonda and Samba haven't had a sniff of a call-up!

Anti-Northern Bias, bloody FA. Wouldn't know top players if they beat portsmouth 3-0 and rubbed it in by missing a penalty on purpose. :rover:

Tugay For England!

Shearer, Wilcox, Ripley, Sherwood, Le Saux and Batty all played for England while at Ewood.

Didn't Sherwood only get his call up after his move to Spurs? However, the fact of the matter is that Bentley at least deserves a squad place on current form but I don't think it's down to anti-Rovers bias - more to the fact that McClaren probably has his favourites. Certainly Jenas has been consistently in the squad despite only hitting some form in the last 3 matches, anjd if Dyer is remotely fit he gets in, regardless of form

Great crest, IHB. Well done. especially the bit at the very top. Class.

Bentley's signature is Great News ! He's come come on in leaps and bounds this past year,

perhaps we should send Professor LeFrog a Big Fat Thank You note! I am so proud to be a Blackburn Rover supporter, John Williams and Sparky do things with a huge amount of class and understatement.... true lost arts in this day & age.

I might be parading my ignorance, but does this 4 year deal set up a ManUre swoop for Bentley or is it designed to protect that very thing? (Maybe I should have read the previous 3 pages).

cheers,

b/w

That's my point. Rovers players don't generally get picked for England, however well they're playing.

Who would you suggest should have earned an England cap recently whilst at Rovers but failed to do so? The only one I can think of is Jansen, but that was down to misfortune rather than not being selected.

Matt Jansen did break into the squad just before his accident if i remember correctly. He didnt play but he was at the centre of a media frenzy as a surprise pick for the world cup i think. But then wasnt picked as it happened so went on holiday, rented a scooter and the rest is history. What a shame!

Who would you suggest should have earned an England cap recently whilst at Rovers but failed to do so? The only one I can think of is Jansen, but that was down to misfortune rather than not being selected.

No it was down to that idiot Tord Grip persuading Sven to take Martin Keown to the World Cup instead of Jansen who Sven was going to take. Keown went on to make a grand total of zero minutes playing time at the World Cup. As for Jansen the rest, as they and benhben say, is history...

Archived