BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Apple Ipod Phone

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching Job's keynote live yesterday - it looked highly impressive in the demo. Love the fact it runs on OS X too. It'll cost from about £250 to £350 depending on what model you get.

Due for release in the UK around October time, and I'm definitely going to get one.

It looks truely awesome. No buttons at all, magic. Talking of magic the price will be a little hefty when they first come out. Better to wait I say and they'll probably reduce the price as well as bringing out new versions with my memory, ect.

I've been waiting for this type of device for ages. I used to have a phone, pda and mp3 player filling up my pockets, it just makes so much sense to consolodate these pretty common devices.

The next move in the market will be the most interesting, someone will come up with competition soon. I won't enter the fray until there are at least half a dozen to choose from.

I'd be looking for a generic device arther than be tied to any service provider, wifi (wlan) would be essential as would connectivity to my work network (VPN or the like).

I'd be looking for a generic device arther than be tied to any service provider, wifi (wlan) would be essential as would connectivity to my work network (VPN or the like).

I agree the iPhone will have great style and I love the navigation on my wife's iPod. I think it will be a nice item. Yesterday I got on one device:

Phone

Camera

Video Camera

MP3

Excel

Outlook

Word

Windows Media Player

PowerPoint

4 Gb memory

Bluetooth/Wireless Lan/Inra-red/USB connectivity

Internet Explorer

Qwert keyboard/touch screen

Video messaging/calling

3G

SMS/MMS

here it's about 50% bigger than a standard mobile

Some friends have SPV's, and they think that they're great. I've never been that struck with them, they always seemed to be a phone that did some other stuff as well, however the new one looks promising.

Is the mp3 player just media player? Is there anything on the chasis to enhance usability of the mp3 player? Couldn't see anything on the photo I was looking at.

Sorry about all the questions, I should just go in to the orange shop in town but there is no substitute for an owners perspective

Hmmmm, with apples reputation for battery life in the ipod i'll be waiting to see how that pans out. People aren't going to put up with theire phone turning off after 5 hours of mp3 playback and phone calls!

Also, the market in this country with regards to mobiles is one of subsidisation, e.g. the sony ericsson k800i (arguably the best phone currently on the market) is worth roughly £300 without a contract but with you can get it for nowt if you shop around. Are people really going to fork out over £300 for a phone, I suspect not and apple are going to have to get into bed with the networks to get a foothold here.

there is no substitute for an owners perspective

I've only had it 24 hours so you'll have to bear with me for a few days. I've been looking at this type of device for about 2 months and kept coming back to this one. I've bought it because I want Outlook and Excel for two very specific work-related purposes. It's not as flexible as sticking a mobile in your pocket but then I'm carrying around the whole of my Outlook, a couple of very important spreadsheets I work with all the time (replacing an A4 folder whcih had to be updated manually every week), plus the phone and when I get to grips with it I'll be able to do my e-mail etc if I wish. I've been able to integrate other mobiles with Outlook but nevr the whole thing.

I'll post about it in a week or so.

Is the mp3 player just media player? Is there anything on the chasis to enhance usability of the mp3 player? Couldn't see anything on the photo I was looking at.

Not sure what you are asking there about the chassis. In answer to the media player part, yes the Orange SVP's come with Media Player 10 built in. I personally don't use that as it's very limited. I use TCPMP which is free and add's decent library support plus the ability to play divx/xvid videos full screen. I have a 2GB card in mine (I have SVP M600) and I currently have 5 full MP3 albums, 4 episodes of Heroes and 1 film on it with plenty of space to spare for the TOM TOM GB map.

Phone

Camera

Video Camera

MP3

Excel

Outlook

Word

Windows Media Player

PowerPoint

4 Gb memory

Bluetooth/Wireless Lan/Inra-red/USB connectivity

Internet Explorer

Qwert keyboard/touch screen

Video messaging/calling

3G

SMS/MMS

Add to that, the fact it will do push mail from Exchange Servers (like the blackberry service).

Plus, add a £30 bluetooth GPS receiver and TOM TOM and you have a GPS in your pocket.

Hmmmm, with apples reputation for battery life in the ipod i'll be waiting to see how that pans out. People aren't going to put up with theire phone turning off after 5 hours of mp3 playback and phone calls!

I've seen video of it in action and...wow...just wow!

But that right there, is the kicker. It's a totally awesome device but it will most probably eat up battery power like there is no tomorrow. You'll have to constantly recharge the thing. I've got a SE Walkman phone now and it does need very frequent recharging, so god knows what this thing will be like.

Anyone have any idea how long the battery is supposed to last and how much memory it will have on it?

Great looking product, but I expect that like the ipod it will have some serious shortcoming, but these will be generally ignored.

Anyone have any idea how long the battery is supposed to last and how much memory it will have on it?

Great looking product, but I expect that like the ipod it will have some serious shortcoming, but these will be generally ignored.

Five hours talk / video / web browsing or 16 hours MP3 playback.

edit: And 4GB or 8GB storage.

Utterly gobsmacking video demonstrations of all the features here:Apple website

They are also being sued. This could actually end up being a big problem for Apple.

I doubt it. Apple have been fully aware of Cisco's patent throughout the entire development of the iPhone. They knew only too well of the likelihood of legal action after they launched their product. I think their apparant nonchalance towards this lawsuit would indicate that Apple may have a few tricks up their sleeve with regards to who really owns the rights to the iPhone trademark - as this article would suggest.

well let me tell you you're all mad.

christ its NOT THAT GOOD - for goodness sake its a phone that can play MP3's and video's.

But because its got a little bit of fruit on the front then its the biggest thing since the last overatted bit of stuff from the fruit based company.

You sad sad sad fashion victims

Archived