BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beckham Signs Five Year Deal At La Galaxy

Anyway, it seems like we like him better than you English anyways :P

Thats cos you lot know more about decrepit old has-beens and in this case never has-been celebs and absolutely sweet FA about football isn't it? After all you lot still revere Michael bloody Jackson ffs! :rolleyes:

btw.... Can somebody please, please find an England football captain that can manage to pronounce the sound 'th' properly and not as a bllody 'f'......... FFS! :angry:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't be too much of a has-been if half the Prem wanted to sign him!

I guess I can sort of see where you guys are getting your animosity from.. If there was a top US star 31 years old and he decided to go play in China or something, I might be a little disappointed too..

Oh well, I'm excited for now

please can one of you yanks ( :P ) explain to me how the transfer system works over there.

as i understand it, the MLS buys the player and then decides where said player will play for. Well surely every MLS team would want Beckham no? so how does that work? I imagine he had an influence in where he went but it kind of contravenes my understanding of the system :huh:

please can one of you yanks ( :P ) explain to me how the transfer system works over there.

as i understand it, the MLS buys the player and then decides where said player will play for. Well surely every MLS team would want Beckham no? so how does that work? I imagine he had an influence in where he went but it kind of contravenes my understanding of the system :huh:

Sam that is somewhat true. In general the MLS pays salaries, but the clubs negotiate the contracts under strict rules (team salary cap, max wager for a player at the biggies). However, the MLS recently passed a rule (dubbed the Beckham rule) where each team could tap 1 player whose salary would not affect the salary cap (hence the ability to pay him a huge wage, although not the $50 million reported). The MLS does not specifically say that player A will play for club B, although there has been some of that in the initial stages to get the league started, but they are moving away from that. And the draft allows teams to select the best of the new youth talent.

Thanks for that link, these are the details I was hoping for.

If it is true that his guaranteed salary is only ~$10 million and the remaining money is from sponsors, profit-sharing and estiamted merchandising, I don't fear for the life of the MLS at this point, although the Galaxy HAVE to he hoping for a big money local TV deal with the latin population in the area to anticipate being able to pay Becks $10m AND make enough of a profit to share another $10m in that profit with Beckham.

In reality, he'll get the $10m salary per year because that's a contract he's due, he'll get the endorsement money unless he really fades, and the advertisers back out. The $20m in merchandising money and profit sharing seem very high to me, and are the publicists estiamtes I'm sure. I'm guessing those figures will be much much lower, especially after the inital buzz fades.

A little more detail than my counterpart in Maine

MLS owns all the player contracts. There is no player "free agency" (or Bosman status, if you will) except between the player and the league, not individual teams within the league. A salary cap is then imposed by the league on each squad, with a maximum salary amount given by the league**

The bulk of the teams are made up of Americans (or Canadians for the new team in Toronoto), with a certain number of positions available for Junior International Players (under 24 I think) and Senior International Players (each team is allowed 4). In addition, each team has a certain number of "Allocations" distributed by the league, further broken into Major and Minor status. A major allocation is generally either to lure a player of more recognized stature, or to replace a player who has been sold by the league overseas. For example, Clint Dempsey's transfer to Fulham, as he was still under contract to MLS, should result in a major allocation for his former team in New England. When Nelsen came to Rovers, he was out of contract, so DC United received nothing for him. A minor allocation is for a lesser player movement, say for a player transferring to a midtable team in Norway. This has become more complicated the past few years as the league allowed teams to break up their allocation money into partial amounts, so a major allocation may be broken into thirds and a team may "trade" 2/3 of their allocation funds to one team for a player in a swap deal or something. There are also occasions where players (usually American) sign with the league after being out of contract. In these circumstances, the league holds a "weighted lottery" (teams with worse records have better chances of winning the lottery) such that the player is distributed based on the lottery. In most cases these are fixed, such as Kenny Cooper leaving Manure and being "won" by his hometown Dallas, or Danny Szetela, a former Everton reserve/academy player who went to Columbus (being the closest to his home), etc. Finally, there are a number of "Youth Developmental" slots where players (usually just out of University or the US national under-17 residency training program) sign with the league, and are selected in a draft (this years is being held tomorrow). From there, they essentially become reserve players with the opportunity to earn their place in the senior squad and earn a "senior" contract - the developmental contracts are rather small - I think this year was $11,000/year - senior minimum is about $30,000/year

However, there are 2 major exceptions to the above: the Designated Player (i.e. "Beckham" rule), and the Player forced into a team (i.e. "Adu" rule). The DP role allows a player to be signed over the salary cap maximum, where the league contributes $400k to the player salary, and the individual teams pay the difference out of their own revenue/funds. Beckham going to a team owned by the congolomerate of a billionaire means he'll get paid, even if the rest of his team earns the league minimum. Teams can trade their DP slots, but cannot hold more than 2 DP slots at a time. Domestic players can also hold a DP slot. The Adu rule is when a player is contracted for an amount greater than the league maximum salary. In these instances, the player only counts the max salary against the salary cap, but the league pays the difference - usually from endorsements or appearance fees. Basically, all the player rights/revenue that Beckham will retain for himself (acquire after his real madrid experience is over), MLS currently owns for these other players.

So the reality is, people in the DP slots generally can make one of their terms of signing to play for X. There is no lottery, but negotiations in this case take place with both the league and the team as the team will be paying the bulk of the salary (but the league would be paying any transfer fee if involved).

The other names I've heard for DP slots involve NY - Wattereus (former Rangers keeper I think), Ronaldo (yeah him) and Claudio Reyna (from Man City - who has actually never played in the US for a club). Chivas USA will likely find a mexican international for their slot. Wanchope was a possibility for a while before he signed elsewhere (Japan?). Figo remains on the list since the Qatar move broke down.

DC has been linked to Martin Palermo of Boca Juniors, main striker for the club, is 32 and played in Spain for a while - cult legend in Argentina, but no one knows if this is really likely.

I hope that at least somewhat helps

What was that one fella's name, er a little known brazilian he played in America, unlike Best he was not only a mercurial talent but he saw his career through and is and has been an ambassador for the game, yeah that's it PELE, ever heard of him.

I don't take Billy's comments to be disrespectful. I don't beleive it to be too far from the truth. Best had a disease that ultimately robbed the World of a phenominal player. It is however a disease that can be mastered, if you want to. I have mixed feeling sof George Best always have.

Didn't that German Becken something or other also play over here?

I could give a toss about Beckham here, the Americans will turn out a few times and then there attention will turn elsewhere, quickly. Now as for the Asians, they may continue to show, there are after all millions of 'em.

And Cruyff. But who gives a **** about him? He was crap.

Lads,

Apologies for this, as I don't want to get too sidetracked from this topic, but just to finish off on what I think!

What was that one fella's name, er a little known brazilian he played in America, unlike Best he was not only a mercurial talent but he saw his career through and is and has been an ambassador for the game, yeah that's it PELE, ever heard of him.

Yes indeed Pele did start his start in America, about 2 years before George Best, but actually thought it was the same time or shortly afterwards. Anyhow with that Brazil's finest say that George was "the greatest footballer in the world" and Best responded, "Pelé called me the greatest footballer in the world. That is the ultimate salute to my life."

I think it would be anyone's ultimate compliment to have that said to a player equal of Best's qualities.

I don't take Billy's comments to be disrespectful. I don't beleive it to be too far from the truth. Best had a disease that ultimately robbed the World of a phenominal player.

Not disrespectful??

What, fire insults at a man who sadly passed away and can't even defend himself. I think it's the most callous way of adding a comment. At the end of the day he was a footballer, who had a disease but not a drunk. Did he arrive onto the football pitch or studio guest drunk? I think that this view is the best way to look at it from a professional front.

The world was robbed of a phenominal player, I don't think so! He will always be labelled as "one of the world's greatest" or indeed a "phenominal player".

END OF from my point.

Like Revidge said.. he doesn't have to prove himself to anybody, he's been a very successful player. He's not the best player in the world, not even close, but he's a very good player.

And although he is a world celebrity, I think he is very professional about his football. He puts in 100% whenever he plays, and he is super fit (which can't be said about many footballers who let the fame get to their head). He said that he's not moving to LA for the money and frankly I believe him. LA will not be paying him as much as he was on at RM.. although it is true that he will rake in bazillions of dollars on commercial ventures.

Beckham has played for Manchester United and has won many honors.. I can easily see why he would rather be the man who takes American soccer to the next level rather than play for a midtable Prem club in a vain chance to make the England squad again.

No one gives Larsson stick for trying to raise the level of the Swedish league.. True Beckham isn't American, but he can't really help raise the profile of the Premier League can he? Anyway, it seems like we like him better than you English anyways :P

I don't think Larsson is trying to 'raise the level of the Swedish league.' He's just gone home to play football.

Lads,

Apologies for this, as I don't want to get too sidetracked from this topic, but just to finish off on what I think!

Yes indeed Pele did start his start in America, about 2 years before George Best, but actually thought it was the same time or shortly afterwards. Anyhow with that Brazil's finest say that George was "the greatest footballer in the world" and Best responded, "Pelé called me the greatest footballer in the world. That is the ultimate salute to my life."

Pele must have been in Belfast that day.

Pele is the greatest player to have played the game. Old George 'let's give him a five pound note and an airport' Best probably jockeys for second place with Diego Up His Nose It Goes.

I don't think Larsson is trying to 'raise the level of the Swedish league.' He's just gone home to play football.

Indeed. It's the club where he first made his name, and he's said he'll also play for Högaborg (Where he played as a youngster) before he retires. Beckham has no similar ties to the US, so making comparisons between the two (former) #7's isn't quite right. Us Swedes have come to the realisation that our league is crap and that it's not gonna change any time soon. Whereas US "soccer" still has the chance to become great.

Although the last few years we've seen some players come home while they still have a lot to offer to both the national team, and in the top leagues abroad. But it's also a bit of the Barry Ferguson syndrome I suppose. They have the ability to stay in England or Italy and do a good job even in the Premiership or Serie A, but it would take a lot of effort and they might fail. So they take the safe option and come home, and enjoy life even if it doesn't offer the same money or glory.

Beckham is a joke !

This move as nothing to do with football and is more fro him to bolster his ego against his fast fading footballing talents.

he has obviously realised that he could not hack it again in the Premiership and is therefore exrtacting as much as he can in revenue and popularity in a amatuer footballing country....waht a joke you are Beckham !

Beckham is a joke !

This move as nothing to do with football and is more fro him to bolster his ego against his fast fading footballing talents.

he has obviously realised that he could not hack it again in the Premiership and is therefore exrtacting as much as he can in revenue and popularity in a amatuer footballing country....waht a joke you are Beckham !

If he, as you claim, can't hack it in the Prem again why on earth would he go back?!?!? If he doesn't think he's:

1) Up to it, or

2) Going to get back into the England squad wherever he plays

then what has he got to prove by going back and "slumming it" at a West Ham or Portsmouth etc and trying to be the hero who secures UEFA Cup qualification or a League Cup? He now has the challenge of making football popular in America. He has that kind of opportunity because he is a legitimate celebrity superstar. Should he have done what Edgar Davids has done instead? Because what is the point in that? He has done everything domestically anyway,

If he, as you claim, can't hack it in the Prem again why on earth would he go back?!?!? If he doesn't think he's:

1) Up to it, or

2) Going to get back into the England squad wherever he plays

then what has he got to prove by going back and "slumming it" at a West Ham or Portsmouth etc and trying to be the hero who secures UEFA Cup qualification or a League Cup? He now has the challenge of making football popular in America. He has that kind of opportunity because he is a legitimate celebrity superstar. Should he have done what Edgar Davids has done instead? Because what is the point in that? He has done everything domestically anyway,

I have changed my mind.

I agree entirely with what you have said.

Who in the would turn down £400,000 p/w to live in L.A.?

I read that the league itself only pays a tiny tiny part of his wages (Saw the figure $400k / year mentioned somewhere. And they'll recoup that straight away). Also, it is inevitable that they'll secure some TV deals, and consider what a fan base Beckham has in China, Japan, Korea, Thailand etc. and that should be worth a lot. Then there's income tied to shirt sales and other merchandise, not to mention the extra media attention which leads to higher attendances and so on.

Korean television have never shown Beckham when he plays for Madrid and they certainly won't do so when he plays in the US

I still see people mis-understanding the quoted amount of the deal. His actual salary, meaning the money paid to him by the club, is only in the range of $10 mil per year (although I've heard it might be as low as $2mil), or just under 100KGBP per week given a 2:1 exchange rate. That's a lot, but certainly not the biggest wage in sports. Ballack makes 25% more per week for example.

The massive figures were spoted by the agent, and include his sponsorship monies (from addidas and the like), his share of kit sales, AND since they apparently have made him part owner of the club, there's an element of profit sharing as well.

So to say a club is paying him 400K GBP per week is incorrect.

sorry this has got nothing to do with football....anymore than I've got to do with the sun coming up in the morning

Toe curlingly embarrassing press conference from Becks tonight.

"I'm not here to be a superstar - I'm just here to be a team player" etc etc

Right then David, in that case you won't mind accepting the same wages as everyone else! <_<

Then the American interviewer asked Becks about how relevant he thought the fact he had vast international experience was. Becks misunderstood the question completely and started woffling on about whether or not he had any chance of transforming "soccer" into the no 1 sport in America ahead of baseball and American football etc.

:rolleyes:

Archived