BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Orange Broadband Experiences?

I know we've done this before but I can't find the thread. Apologies. While changing my contract and getting a very swish upgrade yesterday the salesman was busy trying to sell me Orange Broadband. The deal I'm being offered is:

£5/month for 18 months

8 Gb if available in the area

Unlimited but subject to fair usage - shouldn't be a problem

Free calls to all 01 and 02 UK numbers plus around 100 countries (it's VOIP)

Currently I'm paying BT £27/month plus I have the line rental and standard calls to pay.

Clearly there is a big saving to be made but as I told the Orange man; I've been with Orange for 12 years because I find you very reliable and the same arguement goes for BT Broadband. However there's enough money to be saved for at least one ST!! I reckon my costs woud drop to around £16 from £40ish plus call charges.

The downside is:

The whole family has to get new e-mail addresses

I don't have a very good impression of Wanadoo/Freeserve

What's the experience out there with Orange Broadband?

If we do this I plan to start using g-mail which gets mixed reports. Or I could get my own domain (mine surname is available) but how do I then get e-mail set up?

I have orange broadband in Paris and have no complaints. Always works, they are always very good if there is a problem and the actual product itself is good (using the wireless livebox).

My parents use the wanadoo email and they both like it, I've just stuck to aol as I had all of my contacts on that and was fine with it. Overall I don't think there have been any problems with any part of the service.

I have heard that it is very good, customer care leaves somewhat to be desired but what phone company doesn't.

Thinking about taking up the same offer myself actually but the email address thing is a problem. Plus it'll mean i have to start paying for it instead of my parents :P

I have heard that it is very good, customer care leaves somewhat to be desired but what phone company doesn't.

Thinking about taking up the same offer myself actually but the email address thing is a problem. Plus it'll mean i have to start paying for it instead of my parents :P

I also have Orange wireless livebox, execllent internet connection and good speeds. Downside is the call centre which is bad but not as bad as AOL

• 4 weeks later...

For the benefit of anyone using BT. I rang for a migration code yesterday, you need to use this number 0800 085 2819. This turns out not to be the department that issues migration codes, though they will give you one. Their man job is customer retention. Anyway one phone call got me:

6 months free broadband

price reduced thereafter by £10/month

Line rental reduced by £4/month

Free wi-fi hub router

250 minutes/month free wi-fi to my laptop

Three-fold increase in speed

Voip for evenings/weekends

I was moving to Orange purely because of cost spread over 18 months. Didn't really want to move with all the hassle of new mail addresses etc. One phone call means I'm staying at BT. The Orange package was going to cost £198 over 18 moths, BT is now £216. (prior to the phone call it was £488)

Archived