BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stand Up Jay Mceveley

I would reject because I think he is better than gray and is a better prospect than warnock, thats if he isnt already better.

If Mc Eveley's better than Warnock we've just wasted £1.5m ! I've said it before McEveley won't make a full-back at our level if he lives to be a thousand, a centre half maybe.I'd definitely take Derby's offer if that figure is correct.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that necessarily fatal for a left back mum? Very few players are genuinely two footed these days.

I'd have to say it's a problem in his case as at times it's looked like he'd be better off with a peg leg instead of a right foot. Mind you, that's improved. I reckon Sparky won't sell him unless Derby go crazy - they might be better off going for Mickey Gray! Don't forget that Man City didn't really have width against us, so he had an easier time of it than he would against Downing at Middlesboro, for example. But, time will tell. Again (as in the Warnock thread) In Sparky I Trust, and if he does sell, you can be sure that he feels there's no place for him here at the moment

It is a good offer but I think the club will play safe and not sell.

I don't think the City game should be used as a yard stick for judging Jay as the opposition was as poor as we are ever going to face in the Premiership. They had almost nothing to test a full back with except Vassell going wide occasionally. Their wing backs were so poor that every other City player must have been thinking about how to cover them rather than how to expose Jay Mac.

Just a naughty thought. If Nesmachniy is keen on Prem wages and willing to slug it out for his place in the starting line-up, I wonder if he might be a good bet to bring in and sell Jay?

Is that necessarily fatal for a left back mum? Very few players are genuinely two footed these days.

We've just sold one Simon. :rover:

However... The McEverly situation is strange. At 18 he looked a tremendous prospect but something must have come off the rails with him.... I wonder if it's an attitude prob? He's never going to make it at ch or we'd have seen him in that position at one of his stints at other clubs so lb is his only option. Saying that and despite the bid from Davies (who must have been initially aware of him when he was at PNE) now that Warnock is here I'd keep him and seek to get Gray off the wage bill.

We've just sold one Simon. :rover:

However... The McEverly situation is strange. At 18 he looked a tremendous prospect but something must have come off the rails with him.... I wonder if it's an attitude prob? He's never going to make it at ch or we'd have seen him in that position at one of his stints at other clubs so lb is his only option. Saying that and despite the bid from Davies (who must have been initially aware of him when he was at PNE) now that Warnock is here I'd keep him and seek to get Gray off the wage bill.

Wasnt he playing at centre half for Ipswich before he got injured the other year on loan? I would say his mobility and pace is what lets him down at full back but think he has definitely got the strength and some ability to maybe make a centre half sooner or later.

I still think he has a promising future in the centre of defence. He needs to mature and gain some experience yet though. Perhaps another loan deal to the Championship is in order.

It'd take more than £1m to convince me to sell him, if I was the manager.

ive got to admit that before his transfer (warnock), i didnt know his start ratio was so bad for liverpool.....that in itself worries me.....but as ive said before i think i trust hughes......as for mceverly....anyone remember that goal line clearance at old trafford a few years back in the league cup semi final......that was quality!!!!!!

I still think he has a promising future in the centre of defence. He needs to mature and gain some experience yet though. Perhaps another loan deal to the Championship is in order.

It'd take more than £1m to convince me to sell him, if I was the manager.

Seconded, but I wouldn't loan him out, time has come for him to do it or re-think things. I was very impressed with him at City. I think 1M is too cheap.

Well warnock is probably cuptied for europe so who would you rather play in the uefa cup matches McEveley or captain slow hiself gray?

not cup tied in either FA Cup or Eufa as Rovers can register one player who has featured in the Champs League in the same season.

To be fair, he was one of the few actually trying to reach for the ball in that situation.. Except Emerton, that is.

He looks comfortable going forward, which is a big plus, and his crossing is decent. He hasn't been challenged one-on-one yet though..

I'm wondering whether Sparky will bring in another leftback, or are we really going to play McEveley against Leverkusen?

He wasn't all that bad today going forward, but I though he left a lot to be desired defensively. He made two howlers, one led to their first and the other a dangerous chance..

Sorry, the first goal came from a howler by Pedersen which led to them getting a throw in. He tried one of his "look at me I'm clever" tricks and it didn't work, giving away a throw.

Are we to read anything into the fact he wasnt on the bench against Luton and Derby are said to have put in a bid recently?

Hughes seems to like him, so I'd be mildly surprised if was sold.

His contract is up in the summer and as yet, even though he's been offered another one, he hasn't signed it.

Given the recent Lucas Neill example I don't think I'd sign a new contract either! Now that Warnocks here Jay is likely to warm the bench and therefore stay injury free so he may as well keep his powder dry and his options open until the summer.

His agent should surely be angling for Derby to agree to give him half the transfer fee offered as a signing on fee plus agreed wages when young Jay goes for nothing in the close season. Course this would introduce an element of gamble to the equation. Billy Davies and Derby obviously need someone NOW and might not be bidding in the summer.... but then again there are always other clubs on the look out for new players.

Archived