BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stand Up Jay Mceveley

Hmm thats strange dillo, it had been on SSN ticker for a while and about 10mins ago they had a derby guy on talking about jay in training this morning and that it was likely he would feature tomorrow against dingles. (for that to happen he had to sign by 12)

I don't know! Rams Official said that!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We actually have quite a large squad imo. around 20 players who would consider themselves first XI starters and five or six backups (Brown, Gray, Mokoena, Jeffers).

When everybody is fit we will have considerable strength in depth. Even now with injuries we look pretty well covered in every position save central midfield.

Dont think you can call Mokoena a backup, hes seems to be teachers pet. When we have a full squad, I reckon we'll still see The Axe in the first 16.

I wonder what this means for young Andy Taylor. I know Gray is still around, but I believe his contract is up at the end of the year, and Taylor has been waiting in the wings for a bit. Can't say I've seen him play, of course, but everything I've read on him has seemed generally positive.

Question for those who see the youth teams and/or reserves play: how would you compare Taylor with Nolan and Kane? It seems like the latter two have made a step up in their play this year, while we don't hear about Taylor as much anymore.

Shame. I liked the lad and I feel he should have been given more of a chance to prove himself. Quite frankly, I thought he was a better player than gray. I hope Jay does well at the Rams and proves himself to be a better player and hopefully come through as a first regular for someone in the Prem.

Good Luck

I know I bleat on about youngsters not getting chances but I disagree with the claim that McEveley didn't get an adequate chance. He was first involved with the first team at the age of 17 during the Souey regime. When Hughes first came in, he got a run in the team, but a few blunders later he was sent on loan. And recently he got brought back in the fold. He got his chance and by failing to sign the offer of a new contract, he clearly opted for a better chance of first team footy elsewhere.

I'm sorry to see Jay go, I always had high hopes for him, when he came into the team as a 17 year old and played so well. I would liked to have seen him challenging Warnock for the left back spot. Now we only have Gray as cover, which doesn't fill me with confidence. Maybe now we will sign Nesmachney, and have two quality left backs.

I may have missed this story, but has Dominic Matteo actually left us? If so where has he gone, or was he just released from his contract. If he has left, I'll be over the moon. :D

Matteo went to Stoke.

I've seen McEveley as a good squad player, but not much more, and since he didn't wanna sign his new contract either then it's just as well we let him go. Gray is good enough as backup, and hopefully Taylor will be too.

For some reason McEverly never realised the early promise that he showed. Maybe cos he fell between two stools, a not good enough centre half mentality in a full backs situation. In an ideal world I'd rather Gray had gone but I can't blame Jay for going now that Warnock is here and especially if his salary has received a hike too.

Getting 1st team football will give him the chance to restore his career and come good.

To be honest I think Souness giving him a run in the first team a few years ago may not have helped his happiness, even though it may have helped his development.

If you get a run in the team at the age of 17, and then don't really feature for another 4 years or so, then I suppose he could be forgiven feeling forgotten about. I'm not saying I disagree with his mentality, but it's probably understandable as he does seem to be quite ambitious.

Never mind, because according to FM he will be playing for Chelsea in a few years time and have a valuation of about £23m! Still at least we got our £600ks worth!!

:P

Isn't it a good deal compared with what happened with Lucas Neill?

On the one hand we got £1.5mill for a regular member of the first team who is an international.

On the other hand, we get £0.6 mill, with add-ons for a squad player.

Both players' contracts were due to expire in the summer.

Whenever an academy player shows promise, and gets a number of games in the first team, then leaves, I always feel a little disappointed.

For every Duff, Dunn and, errr Taylor there are many more Douglasess, Thomasess and Burgessess.

Sad, but if he aint good enough, he aint good enough.

Archived