BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelsea 3 Blackburn Rovers 0

Man, you have some issues. There is nothing funny about Rev's post. I also saw the game and I have to agree with most of what he's saying. Our defending was poor indeed, but we did create more than enough to score at least a goal or two.

IMO when we play teams like chelsea we need players who can hold on to the ball and not give it away as soon as they get it. Playing mokoena would not have done any good at all, perhaps he can win a few challanges, but he will surely give the ball away 2 seconds later, so whats the point?

The point is that our centre-halves aren't very good at the moment (Henchoz's just not very good, Nelsen's coming back from injury and isn't fully-fit yet) so they need protection. I'm not saying that we should field a team of Mokoena's, we would still have had 3 out of our 4 midfielders who could hold and pass the ball, but in playing Mokoena we would have had someone who could have broken up some of Chelsea's attacks and closed down some of the space in midfield.

All 3 of Chelsea's goals last night came from players having time and space in midfield. For the first Lampard had time to pick out a pass to Drogba, Lampard was given the freedom of Stamford Bridge to shoot for the second, and Ballack was unchallanged when he flicked the ball on for Kalou for the third.

And all this clinging on to the fact that we could have scored a couple of goals doesn't mean too much when we conceeded 3 and could have conceeded many more. Friedel was easily our man of the match and he made some great saves. Chelsea could, and perhaps should, have scored five or six last night and it really wouldn't have flattered them. And they did it without really having to play well. We made it far too easy for them.

And the crux of Rev's argument seems to be that we didn't get a penalty after half an hour. But it wasn't a penalty, it was a good decision by the ref.

We may get away with playing like we did last night against some of the lesser teams, but against a Chelsea side who's main strength is down the spine of their team we didn't stand a chance.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that 3-0 flattered Chelsea last night - I almost died of shock this morning when Chelsea fans at work told me the same thing. They also commented that we were one of the best sides to go to the Bridge this season.... and we didn't play anywhere near as well as we can.

We still had chances though and I'd love to see the two penalty claims again. From the top of the away end, the Essien challenge looked like a stone-wall pen but I couldn't tell on TV. The Beeb didn't even show the handball in the second half when Benni struck. Hughes was livid at the time.

I thought Hughes got it wrong playing Gally. I'd love to be proven wrong but I think the Prem (especially against the top sides) is a step too high for him.

In fairness, Chelsea looked strong (without ever playing brilliant football) and I don't think any of us expected to get anything out of the game any way..... especially with The Thing from Tring in charge of the game!

Warnock was top class again and Nelsen will be stronger after another game.

We need to pick up three points on Saturday.

The point is that our centre-halves aren't very good at the moment (Henchoz's just not very good, Nelsen's coming back from injury and isn't fully-fit yet) so they need protection. I'm not saying that we should field a team of Mokoena's, we would still have had 3 out of our 4 midfielders who could hold and pass the ball, but in playing Mokoena we would have had someone who could have broken up some of Chelsea's attacks and closed down some of the space in midfield.

All 3 of Chelsea's goals last night came from players having time and space in midfield. For the first Lampard had time to pick out a pass to Drogba, Lampard was given the freedom of Stamford Bridge to shoot for the second, and Ballack was unchallanged when he flicked the ball on for Kalou for the third.

And all this clinging on to the fact that we could have scored a couple of goals doesn't mean too much when we conceeded 3 and could have conceeded many more. Friedel was easily our man of the match and he made some great saves. Chelsea could, and perhaps should, have scored five or six last night and it really wouldn't have flattered them. And they did it without really having to play well. We made it far too easy for them.

And the crux of Rev's argument seems to be that we didn't get a penalty after half an hour. But it wasn't a penalty, it was a good decision by the ref.

We may get away with playing like we did last night against some of the lesser teams, but against a Chelsea side who's main strength is down the spine of their team we didn't stand a chance.

Scotty, I understand where you are coming from but Mokoena wasn't and isn't the answer - he causes more problems than he solves and would more than likely have put us under more pressure with his passing and lack of positional sense.

OJ - think you need to get hold of Jordan to answer your question - did he get back in one piece as there was no masterful post from him last night (or have I missed it? :blink: )

I was trying to avoid any personal references but you have just proved you can't post without being insulting and contravening m/b rules.

However, sticking to the facts, if Poll had abided to the letter of the law on 30 mins, Chelsea would have been down to 10, we'd have had a penalty, and it would probably have been 1-1.

Derbyshire should have scored soon after in a one on one which Carvallho cleared near the line.

Second half Derbyshire should have controlled a great through ball from Tugay which would have left him one one one with Cech

...........But soon after Lampard lashed a wonder goal in from 25 yards.

Nonda came on and should have scored.

............. But soon after they scored in injury time.

We've played much worse and won.

Agree with all that. I thought Friedel should've done better with Lampard's strike though. It was a good hit but still ended up very central.

This board needs a pat on the back, the majority have correctly predicted the last 3 games. Most of us knew Rovers would hit a banana skin at Watford, we'd batter Luton, and get mauled by Chelsea. 2 league defeats in a row mean we badly need a win against Sheff Utd this weekend.

The game was a good one, we played well but if you give Chelsea a head start at home you'll not get much in return. I thought Essien's tackle on Warnock was good, Derbyshire didn't connect properly when he lifted it over Cech, and after that our midfield gave Lampard too much space. He's ace when he gets all the time in the world, that's why he's crap for England; he doesn't have half as much.

On a related note, I'd like to thank Charlie Nichols on Sky Sports News, who gave a very fair and balanced representation of the game. Essentially that both teams were weak in defence, it was dead exciting, and we could have got something out of it until the 67th minute, after which it looked an uphill task. He was also shocked that none of their players got booked, and mentioned big club bias, unusual for Sky!

Defence is a worry again. It was just starting to look settled, and then it goes a bit pear shaped again. Henchoz is fine against the majority of the premiership, but not against the better sides. And of course, the midfield centre looked, on paper, very weak. And it was reported by the man mentioned above that Gallacher was poor during the game. ARGH!!!! At least following Rovers is never boring <_<

Defence is a worry again. It was just starting to look settled, and then it goes a bit pear shaped again. Henchoz is fine against the majority of the premiership, but not against the better sides. And of course, the midfield centre looked, on paper, very weak. And it was reported by the man mentioned above that Gallacher was poor during the game. ARGH!!!! At least following Rovers is never boring <_<

Is it necessarily the defence - or the protection they get from midfield. Personally I am not too concerned that Henchoz was given the run around by Drogba. On his day - he can out play any central defender in the world. In many ways he is what Heskey should have been - as they both have the power and pace to upset any defence.

IMO Hughes is playing a balancing act between making Rovers more attractive to watch - but keeping us tight at the back. At the moment we see the odd game where it works - and the odd one where it clearly doesn't.

Anyone else think that Gally could be replaced by Dunn when we play Sheffield - and that MH is already working on a team pattern that best suits Dunn's ability and playing style ?

Also of interest - though I don't think many would describe him as such - it sounded like Tugay played the defensive midfield role last night :D For me this is interesting - as very often the role is about being in the right place at the right time - rather than outright pace or tackling ability.

Saw the game on Tv

Thought we played quite well, Chelsea just about deserved it on chances

But we were well in the game and created throughout

Up until Lampard's goal I was very hopeful

Warnock did play very well, Bert played much better earlier in the season

Essien put in a great tackle but we should have scored

Derbyshire should have scored too

Handball? Penalty? Extremely frustrating as the players' and Hughes' reaction made it seem like they believed it was but we never got a second look, then they scored almost straight after

RE Gally

Thought he did ok, some nice passes and link up play, a la Tugay

Also thought he got a little lost occasionally and didn't put many tackles in, a la Tugay too?

It did seem strange putting the two of them together in there, similarish players in some respect, at least similar faults, but Lampard prior to his goal wasn't playing that well and Makelele wasn't great.

Gally was playing a strange role to him, one he very rarely plays, probably the hadest position on the pitch, central mid, and it takes time to learn and grow in to that position, he certainly doesn't deserve much criticism

Anyway if we play like that against Sheff Utd I am confident we'll do 'em, especially if Zurab comes in for Henchoz

Watched it on Hong Kong TV. At least they are honest about their bias- the anchorman presented the game wearing a Chelsea shirt!

Thought Rovers played well and really opened the game up. I applaud Sparky for being so bold.

However, to pull such an adventurous approach off with a shock result, all the team need to be on form and sadly we were not.

Brad- by his high standards there have to be ?s against the goals conceded

Emo- oh dear. Poor positioning and too many unforced errors

Nelsen- rusty. Yes he was a step up compared with a lot of defending this season but not of the standard of last year yet.

Henchoz- we know he is slow so where was Emo when Drogba had a clear run at Henchoz from the vacant right back area for the first goal which came against the run of play? We were playing Chelsea so of course there were going to be alarms at the back- I thought he did ok.

Gally- game just too fast for him. Lost posession far too often and easilly. Was clearly trying very hard and didn't let his head go down but the Axe would have lost the ball as much but at least would have let Chelsea know he was there.

On the positive side, I thought Warnock looked a fantastic addition. Never exposed on his flank and great going forwards. His slalom through into the penalty area to be denied by a candidate for best tackle of the season from Essien (watch it from the behind goal camera- clean as a whistle) was the best moment of the game.

Bentley was great when on the ball- Chelsea couldn't handle him- and Benni was great everywhere except in the box! Derbyshire really looks the business at this level EXCEPT he did not score from the two best chances the Rovers had. The pop over Cech didn't have enough oomph and he fatally miscontrolled Tugay's pass of the night wshich was threaded through the whole Chelsea team to find Derbs unmarked, just onside and central at the edge of their area.

Shevchenko was rubbish for them (thankfully).

Scotty, I understand where you are coming from but Mokoena wasn't and isn't the answer - he causes more problems than he solves and would more than likely have put us under more pressure with his passing and lack of positional sense.

Wrong Capt........ Its the 2 / Feb / 07............ he is the only answer we have until the close season at least.

I thought the atmosphere was good in our section last night!

Feeling rough as hell today though........ work was a right pain in the a**e.

Me too, I have never had such a bad hang over. We were meant to check out of the hostel at 10:00 but we rolled out at 11:30 after I had puked out of the window.

John - Did you get into the shed bar or did the police kick you out too?

Wrong Capt........ Its the 2 / Feb / 07............ he is the only answer we have until the close season at least.

mmm... had your eyes closed Theno when Mokoena has played? :unsure:

Maybe not for the Chelski game ( interestingly enough however Sparky didn't think Mokoena either for the game) .. but we have a better replacement, maybe not ideal but better than Mokoena and that IMO is Todd , obviously all depends on the situation behind the scenes.

Archived