BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Neville Is Fishing!

yoda

on spn today

Manchester United captain Gary Neville feels Mark Hughes is the man best placed to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson - when his legendary era at the club comes to an end.

There is no suggestion that Ferguson is ready to quit in the short-term, but long-term many are looking towards potential successors.

Former Red Devils Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson and Gordon Strachan have all been mooted as possible contenders - but Neville feels Blackburn boss Hughes is the outstanding candidate.

"Playing with the likes of Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce, you always thought they'd go on to be managers," said Neville.

"Some may have thought one of them would be our next manager.

"But I certainly didn't think Sparky would be a manager, yet out of the three, he's probably now the most outstanding candidate for it.

"He really seems to have taken to management."

Yes he has so keep your filthy mitts off you dirty manc :lol:

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but Mark Hughes will be one of the best candidates for the job at The Theatre Of Merchandising once RFW retires to his collection of single malts.

Unless MH has some completely unreasonable affiliation to Rovers he will be off there.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but Mark Hughes will be one of the best candidates for the job at The Theatre Of Merchandising once RFW retires to his collection of single malts.

Unless MH has some completely unreasonable affiliation to Rovers he will be off there.

Why do you think that? Obviously a good domestic and European performance by us will improve his cv no end but I'd suggest that Hughes needs a succesful spell at either a foreign or bigger club before he will swing the opinion of the Glazers. They will not have the affinity with him that the fans do.

The Glazers would not give him the job even if he gets a good European performance out of us to his name, they do not know what he has done for their club as a player and he in managerial terms is not a big name manaher that they would be looking to attract. I agree 100% thenodrog, the Glazers do not have the affinity with him that the fans do, and as such he may probably be overlooked for the job...hopefully should it become availible.

the Glazers do not have the affinity with him that the fans do, and as such he may probably be overlooked for the job...hopefully should it become availible.

Careful...... I did say that imo he would need to improve his credentials by going to manage another club first ihd. :unsure:

I've never understood why clubs take into account whether the person has a previous connection with the club or not when choosing a new manager. How does it help at all? So many clubs have brought ex-players back or promoted long-time servants and it's failed terribly.

With players it's fair enough, they might try harder on the pitch...but this doesn't really work with managers, does it? You can't exactly manage harder than you usually would just because you like the club...

I think that's because Hughes is a great manager though, it doesn't really have anything to do with that he played for us once. Players who were very popular with the fans just risk denting that relationship if they go back, no matter how much they might try, if they're not very good at managing then the team will do poorly. I get the feeling this could happen with Shearer when he eventually decides to manage Newcastle.

I agree with you LeChuck, however there's still one or two factors that matters. Firstly, the ex-player is more likely to want a managing role at a an ex-club, like our Mark Hughes. Not saying he wouldn't have taken the job on offer unless he was an ex-player for us, since we're a Premiership side after all - but I'm sure it helped a lot. Also, the staff and directors will know the ex-player from his time at the club as a player, and connections are important in all job applicating situations.

Bryan Robson, a Manchester United captain for several years, a proven leader if nothing else, of course they will take that into account when they are on the lookout for managers. It will also raise the profile of the club. I do agree with theno and ihtd though, the takeovers will probably reduce this somewhat.

If Hughes goes to Manchester United it will mean that we have had a cracking few seasons. I would have thought hughes would need to atleast win something either domestically or european for United to even contemplate him as manager. So if Hughes goes to Manchester it mean we will have won something.

Well thats how I see it anyway.

If Hughes goes to Manchester United it will mean that we have had a cracking few seasons. I would have thought hughes would need to atleast win something either domestically or european for United to even contemplate him as manager. So if Hughes goes to Manchester it mean we will have won something.

Well thats how I see it anyway.

Well if that's the case, I for one hope we dont win anything (not that we are likely to) any time soon.

Maybe just keep going close and falling at the last hurdle. :D

Non-story. There is absolutely no way that Hughes will get the Man Utd job. Clubs like Utd just don't appoint people like Hughes anymore. I'm not saying he couldn't do it, just that he won't be asked. I suppose he could get the job as coach or assistant but I doubt he'd want that anyway. The ones we need to worry about are the likes of Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and the like when they change manager.

Why do you think that? Obviously a good domestic and European performance by us will improve his cv no end but I'd suggest that Hughes needs a succesful spell at either a foreign or bigger club before he will swing the opinion of the Glazers. They will not have the affinity with him that the fans do.

I think that because Hughes as done an excellent job for us despite having no previous club experience. He is obviously a deep-thinking bloke willing to take on new ideas and technology, training methods and styles of playing. Plus he has a fairly decent eye for spotting new talent without breaking the bank - I think the Glazers will appreciate that particular talent!

Hughes will also be the fans' favourite at The Manchester Rowdies which will count for something (as it surely did when Rovers appointed him.)

Unless the Glazers are the complete buffoons that they are probably not, they will accept that they know doodle-squat about soccer and delegate the appointment of a new manger to people who do know something.

To my mind this puts Hughes fairly & squarely in the picture.

Not that I want it to happen. I'd love them to appoint some big-name foreign manager who has no experience of the Premiership and then starve him of funds.

Maybe Souness will be ready for another challenge when RFW goes? Now that really would be funny.

• 4 weeks later...
Talksport reporting that Gary Neville not in squad at Fulham today for "diciplinary reasons". Only one winner if he's fallen out with Fergie. Perhaps may inerest a former Manyoo striker?

Doesn't particularly interest me though. At a cost of what, £5 million? For a right back, in his thirties? Not worth it for a club like us. I'm content with Brett anyway.

Archived