BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bruno Berner

yoda

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He never even makes the 1st 16. When was the last time he was even on the bench. Wasnt even in the reserves when i last went.

As Craig Bellamy correctly said, fans do not understand football these days.

We need squad strength and players who are happy to be understudies. Warnock has a bad injury record and Berner is a thoroughly tested player. A far more reliable player available to step in than a youngster who might cost us a goal and £500K prize money and Euro qualification if things don't go right.

No need to play him in the reserves- as a 29 year old full Swiss international the club know exactly what he is capable of. Reserve places are needed for blooding the youngsters at a higher level than Academy football.

As Craig Bellamy correctly said, fans do not understand football these days.

We need squad strength and players who are happy to be understudies. Warnock has a bad injury record and Berner is a thoroughly tested player. A far more reliable player available to step in than a youngster who might cost us a goal and £500K prize money and Euro qualification if things don't go right.

No need to play him in the reserves- as a 29 year old full Swiss international the club know exactly what he is capable of. Reserve places are needed for blooding the youngsters at a higher level than Academy football.

Except for the need to stay match fit. :rolleyes:

He never even makes the 1st 16. When was the last time he was even on the bench. Wasnt even in the reserves when i last went.

A left back is unlikely to make the bench. He can only cover two positions really (LB and LM) and if there is someone available who can cover more then they are likely to get the nod.

Also managers alawyas favor attacking options on the bench as they are usually the most productive substitutions. Switching round defence mid game is a risky business.

I am a bit suprised that he is not in the reserves though. Despite what Phillipl says match sharpness is maintained through games. Could be injured?

Guest shoppybrfc

Yes of course McEveley, prone to errors, inexperienced, always injured would have been a better option then Bruno who is a seasoned international with international,european experience. :rolleyes:

International with Switzerland. I would think if McEverly were Swiss he wouldnt be far off making the squad and Gray for that matter. Plus McEverly didnt require a transfer fee and would be on less wages i would assume.

Where is Gresko now?

As we have had very limited exposure to Berner it is impossible to properly judge him as a player. Given Warnock's form we may never have the opportunity to really assess whether or not he was a good signing and hopefully, but quite sadly for him, we won't.

Guest shoppybrfc
International with Switzerland. I would think if McEverly were Swiss he wouldnt be far off making the squad and Gray for that matter. Plus McEverly didnt require a transfer fee and would be on less wages i would assume.

Where is Gresko now?

Hughes got rid of Jay, and replaced him with Berner, what does that say to you? You obviouly know better then Mark Hughes though. :rolleyes:

I just reckon what is the point of signing a player that hardly ever plays, in a position where an academy product could have done a similar job.

So, you would have been happy if warnock was injured and no Gray - just letting a youth player come in? Yes, now maybe but not before when we had a chance of europe.

Plus, I know we have Peter but he can play left mid as well, so again more cover.

I just reckon what is the point of signing a player that hardly ever plays, in a position where an academy product could have done a similar job.

Maybe the academy product fancied getting regular football somewhere else, rather than watching from the bench for yet another season.

So then, decent cover needs to be found for the first choice player, and a club like Rovers can't ask for more than a current international player as 2nd choice.

Our hand was forced unfortunately into adding a left sided player to the squad when we lost the excellent left sided overlapping full back / flying winger Dominic Matteo.

:lol: the temptation of pepsi league footie was too much for the guy...

• 1 month later...
Why are some sites, such as Soccerbase reporting us as having loaned Berner? I'm sure I've read other places that he was signed on a 3 year deal.

"Swiss international Bruno Berner has joined Blackburn Rovers in an 18-month deal from FC Basle. The 29-year-old left-back has moved to Ewood Park for a nominal transfer fee after a successful week-long trial." BBC Lancashire

Eighteen months is what I can remember, but can't remember it being defined as a loan or transfer.

It was Warnock who signed for three and a half years.

In the couple of games I have seen Berner playing for Rovers he has looked OK. Nothing to set the heather alight, but certainly adequate and "fit for purpose". Personally I am happy with that.

Archived