BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Cameron On Standing Areas

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it that you didn't go the public school Bazza.

And actually Brown and Blair (and I'm no fan of either) certainly do not come from the same kind of background as Cameron.

Check out this and this.

Yes i did , i come from a low-middle class background. whilst cameron comes from priviledged background so does Blair his father was lecturer and his mother comes from a wealthy family of actors Check out this

David Cameron has suggested it could be possible to bring standing areas back to Football stadiums after observing clubs in Europes doing this in a "well organised way". He claims if he got into Govt then he would review the situation with his Sports Minister. I'd be up for this anyway...

The first Ibrox disaster took place at the match between Scotland and England on April 5, 1902, and left 26 people dead and 587 injured

1989: Soccer fans crushed at Hillsborough

At least 93 football supporters have been killed in Britain's worst-ever sporting disaster.

They were crushed to death at Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield during the FA Cup semi-final between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool.

The Heysel disaster of 29 May, 1985, led to the deaths of 39 fans and a five-year blanket ban on English clubs in European football.

I'd bet David Cameron would love to have another one of those on his hands. Lord Taylor got it right, the days of standing at British clubs are over.

I'd bet David Cameron would love to have another one of those on his hands. Lord Taylor got it right, the days of standing at British clubs are over.

Bugger.

Perhaps you should explain that to the fans that stand on the Ealing Road Terrace at Brentford.

Or the Westland and Coppice Terrace at Yeovil

The Warwick Road Terrace at Carlise

Or in fact the terraces at dozens of British League Clubs which will be in use tomorrow, and have been ever since.

I still struggle with the fact that a terrace is safer just because of the division that is played in. But maybe thats just me.

The first Ibrox disaster took place at the match between Scotland and England on April 5, 1902, and left 26 people dead and 587 injured

1989: Soccer fans crushed at Hillsborough

At least 93 football supporters have been killed in Britain's worst-ever sporting disaster.

They were crushed to death at Hillsborough stadium in Sheffield during the FA Cup semi-final between Nottingham Forest and Liverpool.

The Heysel disaster of 29 May, 1985, led to the deaths of 39 fans and a five-year blanket ban on English clubs in European football.

Agreed, 1 football related death is one to many. However the German model of modern stadiuns incorporating interchangable seating/satnding areas is a success. Cant it be included in the next new build stadium?

Bazza. I'd rather not labour the point, but Cameron is very very posh. Blair is just posh. Brown isn't really posh at all.

You can't have been listening during English if your first post is anything to go by.

Its called dyslexia, However I still graduated with a 2:1 and I am on course for a decent MA. I don’t come on here for an English lesson its about chat/banter

Bazza. I'd rather not labour the point, but Cameron is very very posh. Blair is just posh. Brown isn't really posh at all.

What on earth does it matter if Cameron is "posh", "not very posh" or "common as muck" anyway?.

It doesn't matter a jot.

If you think it does it's inverted snobbery which is just as bad as the other type.

"Dave" Camerson is playing the friend of the common man card, which when you consider his upbringing, family background, education and the history of his wife's family is all rather laughable.

He's just another Tory toff, born to rule and protect the rich and wealthy.

Football fans beware the man who was advisor to Norman Lamont when the arse fell out the he economy.

Its called dyslexia, However I still graduated with a 2:1 and I am on course for a decent MA.

Bah but I bet the 2:1's a BA?

(says the bloke with a BSc ;) )

As for standing at grounds, I'd love for the premiership to trial safe standing, use with out it the games going to have died as a spectacle in the next 5 years or so.

We went to Cardif for teh FA Cup a few years ago, and stood on Terracing, no one died, no rioting was had and no one ###### in my pocket.

Result :)

The only problem is that the top 3 is somewhat predictable at the moment but I don't honestly recall that ever being any different. Since the 70's you always knew it was going to be Leeds /Liverpool or Liverpool/ Forest, or for most of the 80's, Liverpool at the top before the season started.

As for Cameron, I too have my doubts that this is a potential votewinner which will be dumped the minute he gets into power but it's a bit unfair to tar him with any dirtier a brush than any other politician.

I think the problem is more to do with squads. When Arsenal don't need their first-choice line up to reach a cup final then we know we may be in trouble...

As for Cameron - words don't get anything done. Before Labour came into power they were talking about cleaning up football, installing an independent regulator etc...have a read of Tom Bower's "Broken Dreams" to see how far they got. Politicians only have so much say in what is now a sport with so many vested interests that it, essentially. seems resistant to any positive change. At least any change that wouldn't benefit the big clubs...

Even Platini as the new UEFA supremo has had to quickly backtrack on statements relating to making the Champions League only admit three entrants from a particular country and he is supposedly the top man in European football!

Chips on shoulders, inverted snobbery blah blah....

The only interesting thing Cameron has doine is he has moved the debate about standing in from the cold. Before his comments, it was wishful thinking by many and a campaign by a few diehards who visit this board from time to time.

Now it is on the serious debate list. It is up to the proponents of safe standing to run their campaign with great dexterity and flair. Cameron has moved the goal posts from 100% certainty that safe standing would never be introduced to a 99% probability it won't.

Archived