BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

benhben

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During the highlights (of the Bolton res. game) on SSN Roberts looked to take a pretty hefty knock on one his feet. I'm not sure if it was the same foot that was damaged at West Ham. However, if he has suffered a setback it's being kept rather quiet.

His touch looked OK and he seems to be getting his sharpness back.

He had one chance in particular that he seemed to scuff and it bobbled wide.

There are definitely signs of a good partnership with Benni. Hopefully Roberts will fill the void left by the unfortunate Derbyshire for the next few games.

I dont know whether this fella has what it takes to be a Premierleague striker,I just dont know.

He was exceptional today. Granted it was his type of game, but he held the ball up well, never stopped running and turned their defenders around numerous times.

Whether he'll score enough goals to warrant a place I don't know, but his work ethic, pace and bulk (something Derbs sadly lacks) were put to good use today. He'll at least be a good foil for Benni.

I can't see why he was brought on ahead of Nonda, him coming on played straight into Sheff Utd's hands. He holds the ball up yes, but it meant that we bypassed the midfiled and as long as they got bodies around him we lost the ball all too easily.

We have moved on from this kind of play and you could tell it didnt suit McCarthy or either of our two wingers. Roberts simply needs to adapt to our still of knocking it down the two channels and not into his feet. Cannot fault his effort but him being given the nod ahead of Nonda was the main reason for Sheff Utd stifeling us quite easily.

I can't see why he was brought on ahead of Nonda, him coming on played straight into Sheff Utd's hands. He holds the ball up yes, but it meant that we bypassed the midfiled and as long as they got bodies around him we lost the ball all too easily.

We have moved on from this kind of play and you could tell it didnt suit McCarthy or either of our two wingers. Roberts simply needs to adapt to our still of knocking it down the two channels and not into his feet. Cannot fault his effort but him being given the nod ahead of Nonda was the main reason for Sheff Utd stifeling us quite easily.

To give him match practice maybe ?

He did okay and stood up to a bloody physical challenge in the Sheffield defence. Yes he has been out and Nonda may have been the better option but for me he had a good game, held the ball well, won the headers and did as well as anyone else.

The problem wasn't with his effort or performance, it was the fact that bringing him on led to a change in tactics that played straight into their hands. he would be good away from home, but when we are at home trying to break teams like Sheff Utd down, Roberts is not the player to use.

Disagree gumboots, I think this was Robert's type of game and Hughes was right to bring him on. It was always going to be a physical battle and we would have been outfought in midfield regardless. For evidence that a physical striker was always going to do well in this game, look at how quiet Benni was.

Was impressed he lasted the 70 minutes he did, and thought he showed some good touches, winning headers, unsettling the defence and turning his marker. Remember this was his first game after a serious injury. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened had he come on against a more tired Sheffield Utd defence in the second half.

Thought Roberts played well and his physical presence clearly unsettled Lucketti but it was never going to be an easy game against Sheff U who worked their proverbials off and swamped our midfield.

He's been out for ages and didn't look too bad given that. He scored when he was at Wigan (in the Premiership) and he will be good enough. I'm sure Hughes planned first choice pairing at the start of the season was McCarthy and Roberts. Patience everybody please. He will be a good striker for us.

Is Roberts just a expensive POORER version of Kuqi? Its an embarassement that we paid £2 million for this no skill, non scoring battering ram.

Last Season Roberts STARTED 34 Prem Games ( NO SUB APPEARANCES ) for Wigan and Scored only 8 Goals and got 4 Assists

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats...253&cc=5739

Scoring stats

Goals: 8

Shots on goal: 27

Shots/goal: 3.86

Minutes per goal: 396mins

Kuqi Last Season in the Prem - Played 33 Games, Started 15 Games, Came on as Sub 18 Times and Scored 7 Prem Goals and got 4 Assists

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats...193&cc=5739

Scoring stats

Goals: 7

Shots on goal: 19

Shots/goal: 2.38

Minutes per goal: 259mins

( all scoring stats taken from http://www.premierleague.com )

----

Proof that Kuqi is the better Goal Scorer and the better player. I dont think people realise how well Kuqi did last season and how mediocre Roberts was in a Wigan team that over achieved. What on earth did Sparky see in Roberts to shell out 2mill quid for him?! The Stats speak for themselves

Peoples views on these stats?

Is Roberts just a expensive POORER version of Kuqi? Its an embarassement that we paid £2 million for this no skill, non scoring battering ram.

Last Season Roberts STARTED ALL 34 Prem Games ( NO SUB APPEARANCES ) for Wigan and Scored only 8 Goals and got 4 Assists

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats...253&cc=5739

Scoring stats

Goals: 8

Shots on goal: 27

Shots/goal: 3.86

Minutes per goal: 396mins

Kuqi Last Season in the Prem - Played 33 Games, Started 15 Games, Came on as Sub 18 Times and Scored 7 Prem Goals and got 4 Assists

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats...193&cc=5739

Scoring stats

Goals: 7

Shots on goal: 19

Shots/goal: 2.38

Minutes per goal: 259mins

( all scoring stats taken from http://www.premierleague.com )

----

Proof that Kuqi is the better Goal Scorer and the better player. I dont think people realise how well Kuqi did last season and how mediocre Roberts was in a Wigan team that over achieved. What on earth did Sparky see in Roberts to shell out 2mill quid for him?! The Stats speak for themselves

Peoples views on these stats?

Well you can't argue with that, however lets see how he goes hes been out with injury for a while and needs some time. I think alot of people were sad to see Kuqi go there was something about him and he did alight considering the chances he go were hin on the ground. Anyway I think we'll see more form roberts, just hope its sooner rather than later.

Jesus give the guy a break. He was hardly given a fair run before the injury, then has 1 game post it and your saying he's rubbish.

Being a striker is all about confidence and he has to build some up. Maybe he isn't worth £2m but neither is Kuqi and we got that for him. Also his stats this season have been woeful. 18(9) and a return of 5 goals.

Stats can sometimes not tell the full picture. We've not seen enough of Roberts having a full run in the side to make judgement yet although I admit he's not shown an awful lot. However I do remember the league cup semi-final second leg at Highbury last year when he gave a full strength Arsenal defence a torid time. He should have had two penalties, won every ball in the air and scored the late equaliser that took Wigan to the Millenium. It was the kind of performance I never saw and never will see from Shefki.

Archived