Jason Roberts

Career Appearances - 299

Goals - 112

Goals per game - 0.37

Matt Jansen

Career Appearances (pre injury July 2002) - 173

Goals - 57

Goals per game - 0.33

Proof that Roberts is better than a pre-injury Jansen. I think not.

And just to prove a point about stats:-

Jason Roberts

Career Appearances - 299

Goals - 112

Goals per game - 0.37

Matt Jansen

Goals - 57

Goals per game - 0.33

Excellent post Hasta.

I think we can't use goals as the only benchmark for a good striker. Roberts and Kuqi do have similar attributes in that they both work hard and use their strength to their advantage. However, I think the vast majority of fans in the summer agreed that Jason Roberts was a good buy from Mark Hughes, and that we would be happy with the acquisiton as long as he wasn't to be our main striker. As it turned out Benni came in, but then Roberts got injured, so we haven't really had chance for our main strikers (on paper) to gel and make a successful partnership.

As it happens I thought Roberts was a lot better than McCarthy at Everton. Benni didn't seem interested, did very little off the ball and was caught offside a few times. Roberts worked the channels and tried his best to get involved.

I think both Roberts and Kuqi are tryers - and in that sense they will always be defended by fans to a certain extent, but Kuqi has never had or never will have the technical ability that Jason Roberts has.

Despite not scoring, Robert's has been involved in a few of our goals this season. The winners against Wigan and that Polish lot spring instantly to mind.

Ok there are no stats on it but it'd be interesting to see how many errors that both Kuqi and Roberts have forced from our opposition that lead to chances - either for themselves or other rovers players.

I'll always like Kuqi, he was out of his depth and had the touch of a fairy elephant but gave it his all every single time, cost us nowt, made us 2 million and scored a few goals that won games for us so he's ok in my book. Oh and he had a top class celebration.

The big difference to me is that Roberts can and has caused the big teams some problems in the past, whereas against the top clubs Kuqi always went missing - the gulf in class was too big. Hopefully with a decent run in the side, we'll see what Roberts is made of. Remember though he is coming back from a severe injury and the service will obviously not be as good to our frontmen with 3 of our 4 first choice mids being out at present. In fact the absence of our midfield will probably mean that the work horse qualities of Roberts become even more important over the coming weeks.

I miss Kuqi :wub::(

Seconded. For me, Shefki is what I'll remember last season for, alongside Bellamy and Gamst Pedersen. Such an impact player.. :)

The jury is still out on Roberts, though I must admit I do hope we can have him as our 3rd striker - with someone else partnering McCarthy. We need a Dickov'esque player, or Bellamy if you prefer..

Stats can sometimes not tell the full picture. We've not seen enough of Roberts having a full run in the side to make judgement yet although I admit he's not shown an awful lot. However I do remember the league cup semi-final second leg at Highbury last year when he gave a full strength Arsenal defence a torid time. He should have had two penalties, won every ball in the air and scored the late equaliser that took Wigan to the Millenium. It was the kind of performance I never saw and never will see from Shefki.

Good post Hasta

Before his injury , from what I had seen I posted at the beginning of the season that I didn't think he was good enough and we had purchased the WBA version rather than the Wigan version.

However, to be fair he does need to be given some time to recover from his injury as to me he looks like he has certainly put on weight and doesn't look as fluent in movement as he did previously (obviously rusty?).

And just to prove a point about stats:-

Jason Roberts

Career Appearances - 299

Goals - 112

Goals per game - 0.37

Matt Jansen

Goals - 57

Goals per game - 0.33

You must remember that most of Roberts goals were scored in the 2cnd or 3rd divsion compred to matty whose goals came in the fizzy pop or premier league

You little muppet, Just pointing out that Nonda is performing better, but muppets like you continue to slag him off.

It's all very well calling someone a "little muppet" when you're a giant isn't it?

Where's he slagged Nonda off? He just said to give Roberts a chance. He is coming back from injury.

Besides, Nonda isn't fit to lace Roberts' boots.

I always rated Jason Roberts as a player when he was at Wigan and West Brom. Him and Ellington were pretty handy together. Yeah Kuqi may have scored more goals (although i think roberts will score more in an injury free season), you seem to be forgetting the awfull first touch kuqi had, the very poor passing. I would assume most assists kuqi got were flick on's from headers or off corners, I cant imagine him playing in any through balls or completing any creative sort of play. £2.5m for Kuqi is a brilliant price from us, how can anyone miss him for that. Jason Roberts given time will prove a better player for the team, holding the ball up, creating chances for benni and chipping in with afew goals. Also has abit of pace which is always importiant. Give him time I think he will prove extremely importiant.

Jason Roberts has played 530 Minutes of Premiership football according to http://stats.premierleague.com/ and No Goal. He'll come good though :D

Well done Statto for finding more stats. However I found a stat myself for you.

Between scoring against Middlesboro (his first goal) and then against Fulham (his second), Nonda went a whopping 809 minutes whithout scoring a goal. That was 10 games that he started although he was subbed in a few of them (I've deducted those minutes from my stats! :tu: ).

Jason Roberts has only started 4 games with the rest as sub. Hardly a consecutive and fair run in the team is it?

I don't know how good Jason Roberts can be cos we've not really seen him fully fit and playing regular yet. For the same reason I don't know if he's better than Nonda or not. However, I do know not to base everything on stats! <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shoppybrfc

Has Hughes lost faith in Roberts? tonights second half was the perfect chance for Roberts to come on and use his power, as Derbyshire was easily muscled off the ball by the Arsenal defenders.

I think he would have come on had it not been for Warnock having to go off at half-time. Benni had to come on as he is the better player and Tugay needed to come off as he was looking very tired and off the pace of the game.

Has Hughes lost faith in Roberts? tonights second half was the perfect chance for Roberts to come on and use his power, as Derbyshire was easily muscled off the ball by the Arsenal defenders.

Is that a joke? Can hughes have done any better with his substitutions? Dunn and Zurab were bot solid and Benni scored the winner!

tonights second half was the perfect chance for Roberts to come on and use his power, as Derbyshire was easily muscled off the ball by the Arsenal defenders.

Thats just not true. Derbyshire isa lot stronger than he looks. He is no lightweight. He also has great pace.

I had my doubts at first but he is quickly becoming our No1 choice striker.

Although we'll find out how good he is next season as the second season is always the hardest!

Archived