BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jason Roberts

benhben

there's also the benni factor here.

he clearly rates and enjoys playing with him - so if we want to keep benni happy and at the club - it might be worth keeping roberts.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've liked Jason Roberts since he days at Bristol Rovers. I was delighted when we signed him because of how well he played last season for Wigan. He has had his fitness problems which have affected his performances and as such people including myself, started questioning if he had a future with us. Since he has come back to full fitness and had a run of games in the first team, we've seen what a good player that he could be for us. Five goals in five games is a great return and I would like to see him playing for us next season. I don't see Nonda being signed and hopefully Jeffers will be sold to Ipswich, so that would leave us with McCarthy, Derbyshire, Roberts, Gallagher and any potential summer signings. Unless a team was offering silly money for Roberts, then I wouldn't sell him.

a ) £4m is not enough for an inform Premiership striker that possesses power AND pace that is rarely seen outside the elite clubs

b ) Nonda is pants - he's done his bit but as far as I'm concerned he goes in the bin along with Pongolle, Djorkaeff and Diawara

c ) Luke Varney? Nah let's get Bellers back eh?

Agreed, I don't think we will be able to get a player who can rival Roberts assets for £4m.

Ultimately the only way i would consider letting Roberts go is if it makes the difference between having the funds for a Bellamy sort of signing or not. We already have two players with potential in Derbyshire and Gallagher, if we sign anyone it should only be as a genuine first teamer.

As for Nonda- he has show he has got ability but we cannot justify laying out 2m on him.

Agree JBN - with McCarthy, Roberts, Derbyshire and Gallagher it'll take an excellent forward to be worth spending money in that area. Unless we can get Bellamy or someone of similar standard (perhaps Bent, but I'd imagine he'll cost a bit more than we have) it might be worth spending elsewhere.

We should probably look to retain Jeffers and send him back out to Ipswich - he's scored a few goals there and looked good, at his age it'd be nice to see how he gets on there when given a full season.

If we got Bellamy we'd be looking at Roberts are arguably our 4th choice striker - a far cry from the days of Kuqi and Dickov!

Don't sell Roberts! What we need is 4 different strikers at this club, and for me they should be:

Benni McCarthy

Matt Derbyshire

Jason Roberts

Craig Bellamy or someone of similar pedigree

Shod the rest!

We have some interesting youth players like Joe Garner and Raffaele De Vita for backup.

I agree if you want to be in the same category as arsenal, totenham, everton etc ie challanging for 4th you need 4 top strikers, with roberts back and showing what he can do and should of been doin all season, he is probably McCarthys best partner as much as I like Derbyshire he is still young and wont begrudge a squad role next season and if we get bellamy back we have a diverse strike squad that can hopefully chalenge for fourth as well as good runs in the cup comps. I also disagree that nonda is rubbish he has played well this season and scored crucial goals (the winners vs boro, 1st vs fulham) and he was free, i doubt he will stay or that hughes would even try to buy him but he still scored more than Shevchenko! (30 mill hahahahaha)

I would be quite disappointed if we was sold, he and McCarthy appear to be striking up a good partnership.

Hope you mean He and McCarthy AND Derbyshire? The 3 of them are so different that whoever is left out at the start has the capacity to come on and change the game. A good mix. I'm still bloody disappointed with Jeffers. Without his daft mickey mouser attitude <_<:angry: Jeffers undoubted (imo) abilities would have complemented our front 3 perfectly.

Hope you mean He and McCarthy AND Derbyshire? The 3 of them are so different that whoever is left out at the start has the capacity to come on and change the game. A good mix. I'm still bloody disappointed with Jeffers. Without his daft mickey mouse attitude <_<:angry: Jeffers undoubted (imo) abilities would have complemented our front 3 perfectly.

Thought it was his ears that are Mickey Mouse not his attitude!

The newspapers must have a tombola with a list of Rovers players, and a number of random clubs. "Meanwhile at the HQ of The Mirror todays result is........Morten Gamst Pedersen to..........Valencia for a fee of..............£4m. join us again for tomororrows draw"

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed on the Rovers calendar, sitting proudly on my dest at work, underneath Jason Roberts for June states that he is an international for USA. Is this right or is it just another example where the whole thing was not proof read correctly bearing in mind that David Bentley's name is spelt wrong.

Just noticed on the Rovers calendar, sitting proudly on my dest at work, underneath Jason Roberts for June states that he is an international for USA. Is this right or is it just another example where the whole thing was not proof read correctly bearing in mind that David Bentley's name is spelt wrong.

Bermuda international IIRC

Pretty sure he's a Grendadian international, atlhough not sure if that's the right pronounciation.

I am not too bad at solving anagrams, and so far have managed successfully with the frequent offerings found on this site. But reluctantly, I have had to give up on one that seems to occur regularly: that is IIRC. Would somebody please be kind enough to solve that one for me before I go completely insane and start throwing things at the PC.

I thank you in inanticipation. :)

I am not too bad at solving anagrams, and so far have managed successfully with the frequent offerings found on this site. But reluctantly, I have had to give up on one that seems to occur regularly: that is IIRC. Would somebody please be kind enough to solve that one for me before I go completely insane and start throwing things at the PC.

I thank you in inanticipation. :)

If I recall correctly.

HTH :)

But it does give you something else to moan about-and Rovers' fans love to moan!

Wasn't having a moan as such, just surprised that a premiership club (or any professional club for that matter) can produce something with 2 very glaring mistakes. Its even as though there's much text to get wrong in a calendar.......must check that they've got Christmas day in there.........

.......must check that they've got Christmas day in there.........

Just incase you forget to celebrate this year?

I turned my calendar over this morning and noticed that about USA - thought it was strange. Glad it has been cleared up now!

Archived