BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

Is Sergio Peter injured. Surely, otherwise he would've been on the bench being our only other naturally left footed midfielder.

You would have thought so, i don't think i saw him involved in any midweek games for rovers reserves or suchlike. Any German U21 involvement? Sergio certainly would have made things easier for us today and allowed bentley to stay out on the right. He sounded very out of his zone when placed in the middle.

Had warnock not been suspended or gray not injured we may have seen 1 of our 3 left backs in the midfield role. Berner sounded not to shabby today.

Andy Johnson took his goals very well. It was his birthday today and I told him beforehand I expected a brace from him and he might have got it.

Did i miss a second goal? BBC Post Match

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They said it looked just like a dead leg and if so then you'd assume he would be fit to at least take a spot on the bench against lev.

hmm, not sure about that. It looked like nothing at first but the replay showed him running for the ball and then suddenly pull up holding his hamstring. I hope it's just a dead leg but knowing his problems!

Ok, just read other threads and it is a dead leg, thank god for that.

gamst, savage and reid?

Spot on. As good as Tugay has done (which has been exceptional), in my mind the midfield would be Bentley - Reid - Savage - MGP.

With Reid and Savage, one could sit and hold to allow the other one to go forward and then they could swap. At the minute teams playing us know that only one of our central midfielders will try to support the front two and will very rarely run on past the front 2. With Bentley and MGP on either wing I think that midfield 4 would be solid defensively and strong enough going forward.

Unfortunately we'll have to wait at least till August to see it and that's not a nailed guaranteed with our injury record and the hawks that will be sniffing around Bentley and Pedersen this summer

For this reason (the midfield absentees - not the hawks!) I'm not too downhearted with todays result. If Ronaldo, Giggs and Scholes were missing from the Mancs their results would suffer despite their wealth and supposed squad size. They'd just get more sympathy. We need to quickly find a midfield formation that works. I don't think Dunn and Tugay will be the answer as neither of them can track a runner through the middle. Unfortunatley we have no-one who is disciplined, defensive and mobile enough to do this role. I feel we'll now go 5 in the middle as we started today in order to compensate for this but even if that's to work, it will take time of which we haven't got. The next 7 days will define the direction of the season more than any others so far.

Was very confident before the Everton game, and before Gamst got injured I thought we had a great chance but it was not to be.

Still, for wednesday we need to revert back to our style of play a few seasons ago and not give anything away get in their faces and rough them up big style. Hopefully by the home leg Gamst will be back and we can get a win by playing some decent football.

Sounds like the Everton away game I was lucky enough to attend last season, truly poor performance :(

But it is hard to score against Everton when their main objective is to make sure they don't concede and try to nick one :angry:

Apparently Hughes confirmed in post match interviews that Dunny isnt seriously injured - just a dead leg. Should be fit for Wednesday.

Great news, cheers Hasta :tu: Going to Leverkusen without DD would have been a bad situation.

Infact, had the injury been more long term we would have been able to look back on today and surmise that we would have been better served not turning up at all.

Edit: BEEF!

hmm, not sure about that. It looked like nothing at first but the replay showed him running for the ball and then suddenly pull up holding his hamstring. I hope it's just a dead leg but knowing his problems!

Ok, just read other threads and it is a dead leg, thank god for that.

Scare Monger :P

You should listen to radio rovers, for all the rovers news! :rover: or listen to mark hughes he seems to be well connected.

Very ordinary today, which is at least a step up from downright poor (v Watford). A few observations.

Berner looked like an accident waiting to happen for the first half hour, made an excellent block, and after that looked OK for the rest of the game. Don't think he'll be a world beater but looks like he might become a very handy squad player.

Gally is a lightweight (nothing new there then).

Dunn is as brittle as an eggshell (nothing new again, and anyone who thought otherwise think again).

Roberts is a tryer. Yep, better than Shefki, but from the same school.

Benni's going through a "can't-be-arsed" phase. Hope MH administers a kick up the backside sharpish.

Signs of Tugay's invisible friend making an appearance again.

Aye, not too many positives, but overall not too bad from a really patched up side. And Everton were unrecognisable from the team that were soundly beaten 4-1 in the cup. They actually played some decent stuff unlike the hoof, knock down, and fall over stuff last month. Last thing before I retire - sat right in line for their goal and thought it was tight but offside. Saw MOTD, and it was indeed tight. OK though. Maybe Samba (think he should have been picking him up?) could have done better?

also McCarthy is'nt linking up well with Roberts either,

Does McCarthy link up well with anyone??? :huh:

I'd have thought he's practically impossible to play alongside, his goals ratio notwithstanding.

Of all the Mc Carthy + a.n. other combos we've seen this season, Derbyshire has looked the best option thanks to his tireless enthusiasm.

This was always, in my opinion a game that we could not win. Especially when Dunn predicatably hobbled off, after struggling for a few minutes with a limp during which time Everton scored the only goal of the game.

Rovers, notably in the first half, were bereft of creativity, and other than Gallys smart snap shot early in the second half and a spectacular chest down and first time volley from Borat, sorry Zurab, created nowt. 15 goal man Benni Mac, arguably the most skillfull player on the pitch was left to feed on long hoofs doen the channel and not a single ball was played in between the keeper and back four for him to actually use his skill and timing to benefit. To illustrate, I don't recall him being offside once!

Everton played a little more actual football this week compared to the performance in the Cup last month, but still strike me as reflection on their manager-tough, mean, dour and a bit dull.

Rovers had a half claim for a penalty, but as my photo indicates here was rightly not given.

handball.jpg

The success of the season now rests on two big games this week, but the injury situation means we are likely to face the Germans and either Bolton or Arsenal with a side which in years gone by may have drawn a disrepute charge for fielding a weakened side!

Can I also say a big thank you to the set of total jerks sat behind me at Goodison yesterday, who whilst I commend their (alcholol fuelled) enthusiasm at singing thoughout the match, made me cringe with embarrasement to be associated with as a Rovers fan. And I mean singing "sh** fans no beer", " shall we sing a song for you" and so on. Whilst they were quiet for most of the game, when the mood takes them they can be as loud as any ground I have been to and create an intimidating atmosphere(witness the same game last season when Moyes credited them with winning the match for them).

Furthermore, as the teams come out, and the opening drum roll of Jonny Todd starts to play over the ground PA it makes the hairs my neck tingle with anticipation-probably the highlight of the day really!

Success for Rovers this season will probably mean a top ten finish, and a round further in either cup now, which is a step forward from the usual "Finish 6th, battle relegation" routine we have had in the last decade or so.

evertonattack.jpg

Archived