BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stephen Warnock

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Warnock's claim that Rafa Benitez did not have the confidence to put his faith in him and allow him to express himself is a revealing statement about managers' attitude towards young and relatively young homegrown players.

Mr 'I made Emerton look like Maradona' Josemi gets 16 starts during his season long (it was only one, wasn't it?) stint and Liverpool and Warnock comes through the ranks, having been at the club at least 3 years surely, only gets opportunities once he does exceptionally well on loan at Coventry, but even then, is not invested with the manager's faith.

Drum out - bang, bang..... I'll say it again, there is a prejudice against homegrown inexperienced players in the Prem and when managers realise that dodgy foreign players are not better simply because they have more games under the belt, the less millions will be wasted and the game will be all the better.

Bang.

Sorry, but Cashley is a vastly over rated player in my opinion. His positioning is suspect, he can't tackle hard when its needed, and gets caught out on the counter attack far too often. Like Darren Anderton, Jamie Redknapp and to a lesser extent Wayne Rooney, Cole is over hyped by the media because he's a moderately talented English player who plays/has played for a 'big club'. To be honest, I'd have Wayne Bridge as 1st choice and Cashley as an attacking full back should tactics needed to be changed if I was Jose. Warnock is as good a player as Cashley, but does not have the media hype as well.

Ashley Cole has shown himself to possibly be the best left back in the world. He is one of the few players who regularly performs for England and his performances for Arsenal were top class. He has as much pace as any winger he'll ever face, is good going forward and is also a very good defender. I've noticed that there are a few people on here who always call into question the "much hyped" top players, well if are players are all so much better then them then please explain why we aren't finishing higher them in the league? Warnock is a very good player and maybe after next season we can argue that he's better then Cole, but half a season of good performances can't justify him being compared to a player who is only one yaer older but has been regularly playing at the very highest of levels for several seasons.

Maybe until Warnock has a full season and a regular place in the first team under his belt, then he can be compared with the better players. But from his performances so far this season, next season (as with the whole team) is one of good promise!

Bwhahahaha, serious?

Ashely Cole is a good player, no doubt. The only real thing he has over Warnock, though is electric pace, which you can't learn. He gets caught out a fair bit, if it was any other central defensive pairing he'd be shown up a lot more. His tackling is also a weak point. On top of all that, he's one of the least sportsmanlike players I've ever seen, and he's flipped off his own fans. I'd hate to see him playing for a club I like.

Warnock has some way to go, but I reckon that with another season under his belt the experience gap will be smaller, and you'll see. The future will tell, though! And Steve's a really nice chap, which is a bonus.

Fantastic comments from Stephen.

It's great to see that he has acknowledged how Blackburn Rovers have treated him as a player and will only add to his development. However, as it seems he will be here to stay for a while longer and hopefully the players will be rewarded with what they deserve ie trophy, European football, recognition

Could kick-start the loose ends we need tied up in terms of committment. We had it least season with Reidy, Gamst, Emerton.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Warnock speaks of "Wigan nightmare"

Stephen Warnock certainly wasn't the only player to have a nightmare on that shocking day in December at the JJB Stadium. Apart from Santa Cruz who scored a hat-trick, none of the other players did themselves justice that day. Hopefully, as Warnock says, the players took a good look at themselves and realised that their display was unacceptable.

Apart from during the shambles against Coventry in January, the team has generally been more solid since that game against Wigan.

I've been really impressed with Warnock since his arrival. I was slightly sceptical at first but he has given 100% in every game he's played and has proved to be a solid, dependable presence at the left-back. This season in particular has seen him step up even more to compensate for the embarrassing form of MGP.

Archived