BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bayer 3 Rovers 2

elwaxo

Watched in a bar so no sound. As others have said, thought the Axe did OK (and nearly scored - shock - and didn't he help the ball onto Nonda for our second?), and whilst Dunny didn't do a great deal neither did Peter. Nothing to change my mind about Roberts - he's a small upgrade on Shefki but not much more. 3-2 makes for a decent second leg, lets hope for Toogs to have a bit more time on the ball, but what's the midfield going to be like without a ball winner (Axe is suspended for the home leg isn't he?). Might have to be a bit of the Bjornebye coaching for Warnock. Time and a place for passing the ball around and all that.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blackburn Rovers, hang your heads in shame. What a woeful, woeful performance. Leverkeusen were there for the taking and we mailed it in.

A little harsh...thought we did well to get it back to 3-2 and now deffo fancy us at ewood.

Must admit, i'm not the biggest fan of the AXE, but i thought he had a decent game.

Dunny looked very much like a player coming back from injury, but thought he did ok.

Bentley had a good game, put plenty of decent balls in the box....Roberts with a shocking miss- who looked a little rusty.

Warnock- shocking defending giving the ball away for their 3rd!

Deffo gonna be at Ewood next thursday, lets hope we can get a big gate in and support the boys- Looks like i'm sacking off 2 seminars and 2 lectures and driving down from Newcastle!

:brfc:

Interestingly, tonight is the first fighting I've ever seen at a football match other than Preston's attempt at charging the Jack Walker stand during the cup 6-1 and the varied times when a few opposition fans have got into the Riverside. And it was our own fans.

And there seemed to be precious little control in the ground- I was sitting in my own seat, which was on a walkway. (to be fair- a few people seemed to be in their own seats- the soberer ones in the main- and the ones I recognised as real fans) Only trouble was, the terminally stupid, who couldn't seem to work out that the number 11 on a row meant that it was row 11 and the number 4 on the seat meant that it was (shock, horror) seat 4 and that their tickets had these little number things on them which matched he seats, decided that their seat was in that walkway. If the guy next to me hadn't grabbed me at the second goal, I could have been seriously injured. It's all very well throwing yourself around when you're too anaesthetised to feel anything- but I wasn't and it was one of the scariest things I've ever been in - after Scotland/Netherlands when there were still terraces- I was heading forward over the row in front, drageed by a numpty when the guy grabbed me and pulled me away from danger.

If I was against standing before, I think now that they should just arrest anyone who does it and ban them. NO exceptions, no matter where they stand. What they don't realise/care is that when we score and they celebrate, their balance is off and they can land on the people in front, injuring them.

This was exactly the same problem that arose in Feyenoord, although thankfully there we didn't score to test the problem. And then it was fully down to stewarding problems.

Glad we got the second, it doesn't look so horrible now. We score 1 they need 3 to win the tie, right?

Unless I'm missing something, they'd only need to score 1, as then it would be 4-3 to them. You'd be right if we'd WON 3-2.

Great strike from Who's that coming over the hill, that has totally changed the 2nd leg, the defence looked wise open and didn't get much protection, I actually thought the axe was one of our players (No, I can't believe I typed that either, but it's true!) and was overwheled, our turkish delight got stuck in the mud and Axe was trying to prevent 3/4 players swarming into the box every time they went forward.

A few points:

Dunny & Nelson not fit yet

Tug's off the pace

Front 2 not up for it, DIDN'T help out in Midfield thus Midfield swamped & STAY ON SIDE FFS!!!!

Henchoz was blowing bubbles in the 1st 10 mins, I think this was Todd's type of game but there you go.

Bentley was excellent, Bert stuck to it, feel sorry for Nelson (Deflection) and Warnock (Trying to do the right thing in the wrong place in the wrong conditions though)

Thanks god for Nonda & well played Axe.

I think we can do this lot at our gaff.

I thought it was a poor game last night with lots of mistakes.

Dissapointed with Dunny, as I dont know if his obvious lack of fitness is partly his own fault (I hear he is still going out allot and getting lashed) He seems to have no pace to get past anyone - lots of dancing around and not going anywhere - cant remember how many times I shouted pass at him.

Tuggs looked absolutly wrecked - there is no way on earth he will be able to play on Sat and Wed. Roberts did look the same though I wouldnt rest him because I think he needs the games.

The Axe for me offers nothing to the team - yes he did what he was asked last night and maybe he didnt do much wroung but him just being in the side isnt really helping the team at all.

I think we have a better chance of going through in this than we do in the FA cup so I think Sat has to be one for the fringe - Gally, Peter, Jeffers etc They will all be fresh and really going for it and it will give our main team a chance for wednessday.

Well, just a thought anyway

Henchoz was poor (again) last night. Why him and Samba are seemingly ahead of Zurab and Todd i don't know. To give him a one year extension to his contract is also a mystery. Dunn, Tugay, Axe, McArthy and Roberts were poor. Not sure about Roberts yet, we need Matty back that's for sure as Benni links with him well. It was bloody obvious at the start of the season that we needed more midfield cover but, strangely, Hughes has not addressed this. I can't see us doing much from now until the end of the season with Dunn, Axe and Tugay in that department.

Only plusses really were Nonda getting the late goal and DB's performance.

Well after calming down my reflections on last night.

The usual happened - just got in -switch on the TV just as they take the freekick and score (always happens , same with the blimmin radio).

We where awful - yet still managed to get a out of Jail card. Although not Ideal IMO us being 1 down means we will have to at least have an offensive attitude at home rather than say holding on waiting for them to make a mistake such as if we had made a draw lets hope we don't mess up as before thinking we have done the hard work, and hope the away red strip voodoo doesn't strike.

Reminded me of the Feyenoord game - started off well and should have been 1 if not 2 nil up early doors but then totally lost our way yet still had chances to win the game, but let down by lack of idea and creativity.

Thought Mokoena did ok last night as well - but should he not have been the one closing down Ramelow for the deflected shot (very similar goal to what krakow scored - coincidence?). Still don't think he offers enough though.

Defending we where absolutely diabolical

TUGAY was very bad again - is his time up?

McCarthy - again absolutely useless especially for their openeing goal (another first for an opposition player) and can somebody please take them gloves off him and tell him to get his fingers out his arse- what's that now 6/7 games in a row where he has done hardly anything and doesn't look like being remotely interested.

Roberts - Tried hard and willing to give him time, but as others have said possibly just a slightly better version of Kuqi

Bentley yet again our man of the match - creates yet has nobody without Pedersen on the same wavelength except for possibly Bert.

DUNN & NELSEN - obviously not fit enough, in fact that cushioned lay back that went to nobody would have probably been volleyed into the back of the net in his early days.

Yet again - WTF where our corners about?

What it also showed imo again last night, just how laborious we are attacking and flat footed we are to the second ball and anticipating crosses etc.

Credit for last night

BENTLEY - MOM

EMERTON - Tried on a greasy pitch

MOKOENA - Did better than previous performances

FANS - For what seemed like continuous backing of the lads despite the awful performance and weather.

Anyway, on last nights performance we won't go very much further if we get through , but at least we have a chance now.

LETS NOT MAKE A MESS OF IT ROVERS.

I have a feeling that the weather really worked against us last night, it completely stifled our midfield play, we just couldn't string passes together. Our defending was also poor partly due to the conditions as well. All in all though it was a pretty even game, we were certainly not outclassed and I would say if anything we are slight favorites going into the home leg.

If only we had either Reid or Savage available :( Mokoena had one of his better games last night but we just didn't have any urgency in the midfield. By the end of the game all the possession was Bayer's.

JFC !!!

What does Axe have to get to at least get a little bit of credit on here??!!

How can preventing us getting tonked last night and nearly notching himself "Bring nothing to the team"

Lesson 1:

To do some damage you have to have the damned ball, and to get the damned ball you have to hurry the opposition, put them under presssure and put a foot in, name me one other player (Outside the back 4) who did just that last night???

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!

Give the guy a break and get real, the lads you menioned would have got creamed last night, Savage is the miss, what does he bring to the team????

in the cold light of day, 3-2 is a superb result. I maybe a 'lone- voice' but, until the pitch and weather took it's toll, I didn't think we played that badly.

even with tugay, and benni off form, (they both look absolutely shattered, to me) I thought SOME of our attacking play was very encouraging. we created 5 or 6 really good openings. bayer, are definitely there for the taking, at ewood next week.

dunn wasn't as bad a people are making out either. yes, he looks a bit slow and fragile, but he needs game- time, to rediscover fitness and form. he proved last nig

bayer's defence was suspect, but ours was a complete shambles. our marking from fkicks and corners is a disgrace. we concede far too many goals from set pieces. someone always switches off! THIS HAS TO BE ADDRESSED QUICKLY!

warnock was abysmal last night, and wasteful in possession, but I'm willing to give him time to prove himself and confident he will become an important player for us. - also, our back- four changes week in and week out, this doesn't help our defensive understanding

Henchoz was poor (again) last night. Why him and Samba are seemingly ahead of Zurab and Todd I don't know. To give him a one year extension to his contract is also a mystery.

I completely agree. henchoz is alright if we're playing against teams that just lump the ball in the box, ie everton and bolton, but is found wanting, when up against clever (like bayer's front-line) or pacey forwards.

I agree with hughes giving samba a run in lge games, but todd and zurab should be higher in the pecking -order when it comes to European games.

todd told my brother, he's "apologised for his behaviour and buried the hatchet with mark hughes", but it appears MH still holds a grudge (cos he isn't playing him).

regardless, todd is still at the club, so we might as well use him. it is to rovers detriment that he is being left-out, I think nelsen would benefit from todd's recall, particularly as he's still feeling his way back after his long absence.

in the cold light of day, 3-2 is a superb result. I maybe a 'lone- voice' but, until the pitch and weather took it's toll, I didn't think we played that badly.

even with tugay, and benni off form, (they both look absolutely shattered, to me) I thought SOME of our attacking play was very encouraging. we created 5 or 6 really good openings. bayer, are definitely there for the taking, at ewood next week.

dunn wasn't as bad a people are making out either. yes, he looks a bit slow and fragile, but he needs game- time, to rediscover fitness and form. he proved last nig

bayer's defence was suspect, but ours was a complete shambles. our marking from fkicks and corners is a disgrace. we concede far too many goals from set pieces. someone always switches off! THIS HAS TO BE ADDRESSED QUICKLY!

warnock was abysmal last night, and wasteful in possession, but I'm willing to give him time to prove himself and confident he will become an important player for us. - also, our back- four changes week in and week out, this doesn't help our defensive understanding

I completely agree. henchoz is alright if we're playing against teams that just lump the ball in the box, ie everton and bolton, but is found wanting, when up against clever (like bayer's front-line) or pacey forwards.

I agree with hughes giving samba a run in lge games, but todd and zurab should be higher in the pecking -order when it comes to European games.

todd told my brother, he's "apologised for his behaviour and buried the hatchet with mark hughes", but it appears MH still holds a grudge (cos he isn't playing him).

regardless, todd is still at the club, so we might as well use him. it is to rovers detriment that he is being left-out, I think nelsen would benefit from todd's recall, particularly as he's still feeling his way back after his long absence.

Warnock was one of Rovers best players last night, ok he was at fault for their 3rd goal and miss timed some passes in the second half, but i think overall his performance was good, and he also got the free kick which Nonda scored from, with his driving run down the wing

How does your brother know Todd???? or are u just making it up again pleasure

Warnock was one of Rovers best players last night, ok he was at fault for their 3rd goal and miss timed some passes in the second half, but i think overall his performance was good, and he also got the free kick which Nonda scored from, with his driving run down the wing

How does your brother know Todd???? or are u just making it up again pleasure

my brother is an ex footballer, and shares the same friends as andy.

on warnock, yes, he did well for the fkick - but that was all. his positional and defensive nouce was lousy.

as i've already stated, i'm prepared to give warnock a chance to prove himself. he was poor at best, last night.

my brother is an ex footballer, and shares the same friends as andy.

on warnock, yes, he did well for the fkick - but that was all. his positional and defensive nouce was lousy.

as i've already stated, i'm prepared to give warnock a chance to prove himself. he was poor at best, last night.

whats is name pleasure??

i rather have Warnock then that slow fart Gray, i think Warnock has already proved to us that he is a good player, with the preformances he has put in with Rovers up to date

whats is name pleasure??

i rather have Warnock then that slow fart Gray, i think Warnock has already proved to us that he is a good player, with the preformances he has put in with Rovers up to date

you know why i cant divulge his name, pal.

i agree with your last comments on warnock. he just had a bad game last night.

Mokoena wasn't half as bad as most of you would like to think. He made a couple of good interceptions and damn near scored.

JFC !!! What does Axe have to get to at least get a little bit of credit on here??!! How can preventing us getting tonked last night and nearly notching himself "Bring nothing to the team"

Lesson 1:

To do some damage you have to have the damned ball, and to get the damned ball you have to hurry the opposition, put them under presssure and put a foot in, name me one other player (Outside the back 4) who did just that last night???

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!! Give the guy a break and get real, the lads you menioned would have got creamed last night, Savage is the miss, what does he bring to the team????

Mokoena was much improved and i also think his passing game is improving too!

I watched most of the game and also agree that Mokoena was much improved and played a very decent game. He contributed to attack at times and did a good job covering and getting his tackles in; some of them very important tackles!

Hughes does not have a strict defensive midfield position for a player like Mokoena in the side, but yet despite having no previous experience before Rovers in a four man midfield (to my knowledge) and a natural defender, he is happy as a back-up and does not complain when he is in a an unfamiliar role which he never gets the run of games he needs in. Good on him.

I wish The Axe every success and was a bit upset to read that some people on here were happy that he is suspended for the next European game. In my opinion, anything that handicaps Mark Hughes' team selection is not good for Blackburn Rovers. I think Bayer Leverkusen is a very skillful side who knows how to keep possession and whose passes, either in the air or along the ground, usually stick like super glue to the receiver. He will be missed.

Well, hopefully there will be at least a couple less of the home support at Ewood. There were some real idiots there tonight. All of the scum from the bottom of the Blackburn ponds must have made its way here. They were (again) mostly people I've never seen before so aren't regular away travellers.

Two guys, either in their late 30s or early 40s, started a fight. I suspect they were drunk- they looked it. No idea what about, doubt they did either. Lots of others tried to get in on the act, mot of the spotty Burberry scum. The stewards, who were useless, tried to stop it, but in the end it was the police who took them away. Rovers must get the names of the people involved and ban them for life (although from what I heard all of the people subject to banning orders were there so I supect they'd fail to act).

Then there were the other pond scum. One guy behind me referred to Roberts as a black b***ard, Dunn as a fat b***ard and everyone else as f***ing w**kers. He's one I wouldn't mind losing as well.

The game was truly awful. We were lucky to get back to 3-2. Bentley was our only really GOOD player. Dunn was worth the start for the pass to Bentley which gave Roberts the sitter that he missed. He was also one of the few making accurate passes of over 2 feet. Mokoena wasn't half as bad as most of you would like to think. He made a couple of good interceptions and damn near scored. Nelsen's a long way from fit, and Henchoz is always being caught out. Todd must start. Tugay's imaginary friend was everywhere tonight, and Warnock I thought was going to crawl under the nearest stone when he lost the ball for the third goal- poor guy!

The pitch was very heavy and the ball didn't seem to want to travel. That meant Emerton was never going to be much use. Benni didn't fancy it and Roberts was no bloody good. Friedel was, well, there. Most of the time.

That said, Nonda's goal means we have a chance. There's also the chance that both Gamst and Derbs will be back, which might help. We have yet hope!

By the way, Leverkusen have heaters in the roof, which means it's nice and warm, even on a cold night. I'd pay good cash money for that at Ewood!

For christ sake come off your high horse! Go and follow man utd or celtic in europe and u'l see some real pondlife! Its actually boffins like you thats starting to put off the likes of me and my mates who are real football people and BLACKBURN lads following rovers away

Don't kid yourself that calling one of our players a "black b**tard" makes you a real football fan.

It makes you a real something, but its not a football fan.

I have never heard a female complaing about hooligans called a boffin before.

I never said being directly racist about jason roberts constituted being a real football fan. Its wrong.

And Ive never heard of decent hardworking lads of blackburn, who dont happen to wear rovers shirts over jumpers, who like to have a beer, who do follow rovers away despite jan having never seen them, being referred to as pondlife

Archived