BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Intertoto 2007/08

mark

After last night I have to say I am even more hopeful for another European campaign and via the Intertoto if need be. It just felt as if we missed out just before the real fun began... :angry:

Hopefully John Williams has already started preparing the application. We just have to move up a few places and hope that Uefa place for the FA Cup reverts to the league. Fifth, sixth and even seventh will probably receive a Uefa Cup place. If Newcastle or Tottenham win the Uefa then an Intertoto place could be had for as low as ninth...

All for this...Newcastle in the last 16 via intertoto

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After last night I have to say I am even more hopeful for another European campaign and via the Intertoto if need be. It just felt as if we missed out just before the real fun began... :angry:

Hopefully John Williams has already started preparing the application. We just have to move up a few places and hope that Uefa place for the FA Cup reverts to the league. Fifth, sixth and even seventh will probably receive a Uefa Cup place. If Newcastle or Tottenham win the Uefa then an Intertoto place could be had for as low as ninth...

I'd settle for winning the FA Cup and getting into Europe that way ...

Funny really. A few weeks ago, we were laughing at Newcastle and co. for going through the Intertoto route, and now we are all up for it. I guess it may serve a purpose for clubs on the fringes of a UEFA Cup place.

And what annoys me is that Spuds have got a bye becaue of Feyenoord's dodgy fans, but we had to play them. I guess timing is everything.

Hughes really is a very impressive manager when it comes to PR and showing how ambitious we should be. Rather than complaining (like some of our more unambitious fans :lol: ) that it could mean a few extra games Sparky instead looks at the big picture which would mean four games = Uefa Cup place.

I'd also expect we should be able to rotate the players a bit better next year as we surely can't be as unlucky with seemingly unpreventable long-term injuries that we have had this season. Hughes also slowly seems less reluctant to use some of the Academy graduates and that hopefully will benefit us with more coming through to become squad players.

After going out of the UEFA cup this news has cheered me up.

Does anyone know what dates the qualifying games are in the summer?

Would be the end of July when we would have to play friendlies anyway. This here..."Clubs from Spain, Italy, England, France, Germany, Portugal, the Netherlands and Greece will then take part in the final stage on 21/22 July and 28/29 July to meet the 14 surviving sides. The draw for all rounds will be announced on 23 April." It seems to suggest we would only have to play two games unlike Newcastle who had four last summer.

If so...it really is a no-brainer isn't it?

UEFA - Intertoto 2007

UEFA - Intertoto Cup format

Worryingly it might come to the stage of us wanting Spurs or Toon to win the Uefa Cup to get us a place in Europe.... :blink:

Funny really. A few weeks ago, we were laughing at Newcastle and co. for going through the Intertoto route, and now we are all up for it. I guess it may serve a purpose for clubs on the fringes of a UEFA Cup place.

And what annoys me is that Spuds have got a bye becaue of Feyenoord's dodgy fans, but we had to play them. I guess timing is everything.

Newcastle havent exactly had a difficult route through. I would like to think that we could beat some Belgian side that noone has heard of. <_<

That annoys me too. Very much. I live with a tottenham fan at uni and I keep reminding him how jammy it is. He agrees. Especially since some of the hooliganism leading to them being kicked out was AGAINST US! Most of all I don't see why they didn't have to play Krakow. I'm sure they'd have beaten them, but maybe not, and it would have drained their resources more. I see no reason for Tottenham to have that special treatment and shedloads of clubs like us to get knocked out.

Anyway, I think the main reason we were laughing at Newcastle was because they were acting like 'winning' the intertoto was some achievement, or an actual trophy.

With Chelsea winning the league cup 6th place in the league will now guerentee you European football for the following seaon. We are only six points behind Reading who currently occupy that place. I can see both Reading and Pompy both going on a losing streak and possbily finishing in the bottom half of the table. I think it is between ourselves, Spurs, Bolton and Everton who will finish who will get the 5th and 6th places and dependant on what happens in the FA cup 7th place may get you into Europe.

Either way I can see us playing UEFA Cup football next season be it by qualifying through the league/cup or the Intertoto.

• 1 month later...

Possibly worth bringing this back up to the top.

The english teams who have applied to take part in the Intertoto cup are: Rovers, Bolton, Everton, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Tottenham.

It looks as though Bolton, Everton and Tottenham will automatically qualify through the league therefore all we need to do is finish above Fulham, Boro and Newcastle. We have two games in hand over Newcastle and we are only one point behind them. We are one point above Boro with a game in hand and Fulham are in a relegation scrap.

You need to finish in the top eleven to enter therefore if Reading and Pompy finish 8/9 then 10th would be enough.

The draw for the cup takes place on Monday 23rd April and my understanding that the countries will be drawn, for example, England V's Russia. Therefore you know from which country your opponants will be before the end of the season.

Tell all the dingles you know

That Blackburn Rovers are intertoto

There will be a hundred blues

And we will be drinking their booze

Coz Blackburn Rovers are Intertoto.

Is there definite confirmation that Pompey and Reading havent applied?

We cant be sure that Spurs will finish in a European place though.

Does this mean that come our game against Spurs, a win may mean 500k extra or finishing a place higher in the league but at the same time might prevent Spurs from finishing in 7th place to a team like Reading or Pompey and instead take them to the Intertoto instead of us, whereas a defeat for us may mean Intertoto Cup and possible European football? :)

Possibly worth bringing this back up to the top.

The english teams who have applied to take part in the Intertoto cup are: Rovers, Bolton, Everton, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Tottenham.

It looks as though Bolton, Everton and Tottenham will automatically qualify through the league therefore all we need to do is finish above Fulham, Boro and Newcastle. We have two games in hand over Newcastle and we are only one point behind them. We are one point above Boro with a game in hand and Fulham are in a relegation scrap.

You need to finish in the top eleven to enter therefore if Reading and Pompy finish 8/9 then 10th would be enough.

Thats great news that. I can't imagine why clubs like Pompey and Reading didn't apply - I bet they're regretting it now.

Come on Rovers - lets have another European adventure!! :brfc:

I can't imagine Reading have applied. If they have Coppell is contradicting himself when he said there is no point entering a competition if you are not equiped to win it.

I can't think of a reason Pompey wouldn't apply. There must be an official list somewhere.

I can't imagine Reading have applied. If they have Coppell is contradicting himself when he said there is no point entering a competition if you are not equiped to win it.

I can't think of a reason Pompey wouldn't apply. There must be an official list somewhere.

Lee has confirmed on the offical messageboard that Rovers, Bolton, Everton, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Tottenham, are the the teams who have applied.

From a selfish point of view (with a wedding coming up next summer) I'd be (financially) struggling to do full justice to another European adventure, and watching the away games on Eurosport would be a heart rending experience after the great times in Poland, Holland, Germany (and Bulgaria and Turkey).

From the point of view of the club though, I think it's very very important we're in Europe again, be that by the front door or the back door - and the back door is looking the only realistic option right now.

Yes, Sunday was a very special occasion which will live long in the memory. Unfortunately it means nothing more than that now. If we fail to reach Europe then the season is a comparative failure next to the 6th place finish last time around - and with the improvements made to the squad (on paper at least) that would be really disappointing.

The players have clearly had one eye on the semi and have failed to perform to potential in the last couple of league games. I trust that Hughes will now get them totally focussed for the remaining six matches.

This time next week I expect Rovers to be on 46 points - anything less is not acceptable in the context of the barnstorming display at Old Trafford.

My only complaint about our entering the Intertoto Cup is I've been taking the wazz out of Geordie lodger ever since they were presented with it - now I'm open to counter-wazz-taking. Mind you a few foreign knees-ups should make up for it...

This time next week I expect Rovers to be on 46 points - anything less is not acceptable in the context of the barnstorming display at Old Trafford.

I think it should be remembered we have just seen the boys give a tremendous effort over 120 minutes - they'll be quite drained physically and mentally. While I think we'll have enough to beat Watford at home - I'm pretty sure Fulham away will be a game to far - they need the points more than we do. I reckon we'll have 43 points by this time next week.

So the win against Watford moves us 2 points ahead of Newcastle with a game in hand. I reckon that Spuds will finish in the top 7 so 'We're all going on a European tour'.

Dont forget that the draw is on monday.

Archived