BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Biggest Matches Around The Club Football World

neekoy

After the Sicilian debarcle in Italy it got me thinking about the biggest matches around the world and most hated opposition. I am thinking about a top ten but it is a lot harder then you would think because around the world there is absolute hatred among some supporters. How does Rovers V Bumley stack up? Not the biggest match but just as passionate.

My Ten

1. Boca Juniors V River Plate

2. Roma V Lazio

3. Barcelona V Madrid

4. Fenerbahce v Galatasaray

5. Celtic V Rangers

6. Manchester United V Liverpool

7. Tottenham V Arsenal

8. Flamengo V Fluminense

9. Penarol V Nacional

10. Liverpool V Everton

Inter and AC, Dortmund V Shalke, PSG V Marseille, the list goes on.

How does Rovers V Bumley stack up? Not the biggest match but just as passionate.

The thing that has made Rovers V Burnley special in recent years is the rarity of the fixture. Rangers V Celtic happens 5/6 times a season - so if you lose one at least you can make up for it pretty quickly. We've played Burnley about 6 times since 1980!

Wouldn't say the Spurs /Arse and Mersey Derby compare with the others

CARDIFF V SWANSEA

STOKE V PORT VALE

WEST HAM CHELSKI

SHEFF WEDS V SHEFF UTD

NOTTS FOREST V DERBY

LEEDS V MU

BRUM V VILLA

SUNDERLAND V NEWCASTLE

ABERDEEN V RANGERS

WOLVES V WBA

Are probably typical ones more in line

Plymouth v Exeter

Ipswich v Norwich

Preston v Blackpool

Bristol Rovers v Bristol City

The list is endless. Who's to say who has the fiercest rivalry? Rovers burnley is pretty bad but not with the same numbers of people as Celtic Rangers. Doesn't mean that the hatred isn't there though. Obviously they hate us more though as we're vastly superior.

Plymouth v Exeter

Ipswich v Norwich

Preston v Blackpool

Bristol Rovers v Bristol City

The list is endless. Who's to say who has the fiercest rivalry? Rovers burnley is pretty bad but not with the same numbers of people as Celtic Rangers. Doesn't mean that the hatred isn't there though. Obviously they hate us more though as we're vastly superior.

Indeed Bobski

ACCY STANLEY V FLEETWOOD

AJAX V FEYERNOORD

GRIMSBY HULL

KAYOS V FLEMING :lol:

KAYOS V FLEMING :lol:

True. Again, you hate me more though as I am vastly superior.

So you haven't gone either Kayos? This is really bobbins. I'm out of here at 12.45, half day, - on the lash at 2.30. They'd better get through this leg or I'll never forgive myself.

Anyway, back on topic:

West Ham Millwall

Spurs Chelsea

True. Again, you hate me more though as I am vastly superior.

So you haven't gone either Kayos? This is really bobbins. I'm out of here at 12.45, half day, - on the lash at 2.30. They'd better get through this leg or I'll never forgive myself.

Anyway, back on topic:

West Ham Millwall

Spurs Chelsea

Yep still here, too much coming up and need to keep purse string pulled reet up tite- its digging in hard as I had intended to go - all being well if we get through I will be at the next one.

So carrying on

WATFORD V LUTON

GILLINGHAM V MILLWALL

WREXHAM V CHESTER

Sevilla V Betis

They really do not like each other, bit of a class war, Sevilla being the rich boys and Betis being in the poorer area of the city.

I visit every year, this weekend being this years trip, last year I managed to see Betis v Madrid, unfortunately Betis are away this weekend and I haven't checked Sevilla as the people we stay with over there would not let me go anywere near one of "their" games.

Amazing city as well by the way.

I think it depends on the length of time between playing each other, the Liverpool/Everton, City/Utd, Villa/Brum, Spurs/Arse have all been diluted lately due to the amount of times they have played.

Whilst we don't play Burnley very often (because they are rubbish) it keeps up the tension.

A few more that don't exactly get the pulse racing

Athletic Bilbao v Real Madrid (because of the basque connections)

Accy Stanley v Burnley (well soon anyway)

Luton v Watford

Palace v Brighton

Inter v Juve (for some reason, this is called the Derby of Italy)

Teams like Bolton and Chelsea don't really have rivalries because nobody cares enough to bother about them.

Sevilla V Betis

They really do not like each other, bit of a class war, Sevilla being the rich boys and Betis being in the poorer area of the city.

I visit every year, this weekend being this years trip, last year I managed to see Betis v Madrid, unfortunately Betis are away this weekend and I haven't checked Sevilla as the people we stay with over there would not let me go anywere near one of "their" games.

Amazing city as well by the way.

A week too late. They just played each other last Saturday.

QPR v the Chinese Olympic team ? :ph34r:

I find it funny that QPR has done what the American Gov't is

afraid to do: fight the chinese!

I too would think that Athletic and Real Madrid and Real Sociedad get pretty heated.

I agree with everyone's contributions on paper, but it is difficult to really determine

which is most heated as we lack context.

C'mon Rovers !

BTW: can we get our old Rovers avatars back?

Archived