BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bye Bye Lonsdale

I have just heard on very good authority that we will be doing away with those dusting rags that Sports World pass off as football shirts and will be wearing proper kit next year.

My source tells me that we will be wearing Umbro kit next season, and that it will be the designs that were chosen by the fans in the recent poll.

A proper football brand for a proper football club. A step in the right direction. All we need to do now is regain control of our club shop!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if that's true I'd be delighted. We've not had a decent kit manufacturer since Asics and Umbro are a proper organisation.

What with Lonsdale and Uhlsport before I thought there was more chance of reverting back to Ellgren or even Spall but Umbro will do very nicely thank you.

Sports World have a majority share in Umbro so this is entirely feaseable. I think that the lonsdale brand is pretty much exhausted now.

My only reservation is that umbro shirts are of better quality than the crappy lonsdale ones. I cant imagine Sports World would de value the umbro brand like they have the lonsdale brand, nor can I imagine Sports World making a higher quality shirt shirt for blackburn, because they dont sell enough to make it worthwhile

My only reservation is that umbro shirts are of better quality than the crappy lonsdale ones. I cant imagine Sports World would de value the umbro brand like they have the lonsdale brand, nor can I imagine Sports World making a higher quality shirt shirt for blackburn, because they dont sell enough to make it worthwhile

:huh::blink:

You sound perplexed by your own contradiction.

Sports World have a majority share in Umbro so this is entirely feaseable. I think that the lonsdale brand is pretty much exhausted now.

Sportsworld's owner (Mike Ashley) owns less than 3% of Umbro. Umbro is an independant PLC who shares are owned by institutional investors, including Doughty Hanson who were the venture capitalists that saved it from going under. Sportsworld have a license to manufacture and sell certain Umbro branded products, but have no ownership rights over the Umbro company.

Sportsworld devalue very brand, that is why Sportwear is the every day clothing of choice for your average grubby oik. It is cheap and cheerful, and almost always bought from sportsworld. Sadly it is what the public wants as it is about to float for approximately £2 billion.

Oh, and the shirt will be made of the same fabric and technology as the England shirt. Umbro make all the top kits to the same standard.

that's cheered me up,

I hate the fabric used on this and last seasons home shirt.

it's cheap and as comfortable as mohair! - strangely the black away shirt was a lot comfier.

the 'sale' at the roverstore, could add further weight to the umbro rumours.

http://www.rovers-store.com/Index.pasp

I hope you are right, I've not liked any of the Lonsdale kits.

I think someone on here not long ago mentioned that Lonsdale were looking to pull the plug on the Rovers deal because it wasn't working out financially for them, so maybe we have got rid of them and the club shop can return to stocking Rovers goods ;)

Hope this news is correct. Maybe Umbro are looking to get sponsorship deals with the likes of Pedersen & Bentley.

Umbro makes the Norway kit. Don't know what kind of boots Gamst use.

Don't think Umbro would make a deal like this just because of players like Gamst and Bently.

Maverick: I think he means individual deals with the players, rather than them coming to the club because of them.

Umbro are massive and if we had them it would do us the world of good, not just to mention the better quality of shirt.

Archived