BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood For World Cup Venue

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theno is quite right in most things he says.

True, but Blackburn isn't going to make the grade like Liverpool & Manchester in the five star hotel stakes.

If no-one wants to open a five star hotel in Blackburn then no one can make them.

Certainly BwDBC cannot force anyone to open one. It can give planning permission if someone applies, but it certainly cannot decree the quality of the food and service.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about Ewood & the possible World Cup.The Olympics in London will bankrupt the country, so the World Cup is a bit of a dream anyway.

Btw attended a 21st in Richmonds last month and had a great time until leaving when my mate from Manchester offered me a lift home. We had to walk past the Grapes where it had all just 'kicked off' to get to his car. Two police were frogmarching what must have been one of the two fat slags to the meat wagon, she was in a double arm lock with a huge fat arse and thong on full display with her and her mates screaming curses at them, whilst more police were trying to restore order amongst the rest of the Grapes 'clientele'. Not only horrible for visitors but unfortunately for Blackburn typically horrible..... or should that be horribly typical?

Sounds like Manchester on a rainy Tuesday night. Don't worry about it.

Interestingly according to today's Telewag 'developers have taken the first step towards building a holiday village in Feniscowels.' The development would feature 120 static lodges, five man-made lakes and a leisure and restaurant building. Somebody out there must think the area has tourist potential.

Sited on an illegal tip in Feniscowles (BwD council are embarrassed big time.... in fact they cocked up so big in allowing the illegal tipping to continue for so long that they would prob give planning permission for a nuclear waste dump underneath a creche.) the developers want to call it 'Pleasington Lakes'! Why? It's nowhere near piggin Pleasington! Cupid stunts! Ramsbottoms Pits or Blubberhouse Bottoms would be more appropriate in this instance.

ES you are displaying incredible naivety in even suggesting this. Whoever wants to build this Trailer Park is doing it for grant and aid monies in cahoots with a desperate council in deep sh1t and facing a huge clean up cost and not because of Blackburns renowned but underdeveloped tourist potential thats for certain sure.

err are you winding up to asking Jan for a date Abbey? :wub:

btw Jan if he does pluck up courage then Stanley House might suit your purpose. 5* rating, 3 miles from Sudell Cross on the Preston New Road, owned by the Walker family (although it is allegedly for sale at the moment).

Failing that 'Time' above the Sirloin at Hoghton or 'Inside Out' at Walton-le-Dale serve nice food but not residential so you 2 will have to find somewhere else to snuggle up after!

ID RATHER WATCH BURNLEY AND GET A SEASON TICKET!!!! :wstu::angry:

DONT GET LIKE THE KAPN GORD :P

how can you compare ossy and blackburn

ossy has about 8,000 population and blackburn 100,000+ :blink:

True and I don't mind Ossy at all...but I don't see why some of the people there have the right to slag off Blackburn as if they live in the Cotswalds or something. I don't see people from Blackburn slagging their hometown off at any opportunity.

True and I don't mind Ossy at all...but I don't see why some of the people there have the right to slag off Blackburn as if they live in the Cotswalds or something. I don't see people from Blackburn slagging their hometown off at any opportunity.

i think blackburn is a palace

dont forget accy is same distance away in t`other direction :angry:

Ahem.... you've forgotten someone? :tu:

I meant you don't hear people from Blackburn slagging off Oswaldtwistle. On the contrary to thenodrog suggesting he is different to others in actuality it is most Blackburnians that love to bewail the state of their environs. It's a popular part of local conversation...but then again it's ok to berate your hometown. Yet usually Blackburn folk are happy slating their own place without having a go at Ossy...

Well except me above and that was only in response to "sh1t tip and an embarassment". Blackburn isn't exactly the Paris of the North but all of it's not as bad as some make out.

I'm Blackburn born and bred until I was 18 and now live in the Cotswolds ( ;)) but I can say that I rarely slag off the town and am proud to come from there but the problem is that it just looks a mess for the infrequent visitor. However that's the fault of the last 40 years of the council town planning but imagine if they'd kept all the old mills etc and renovated them instead of knocking them down.

Anyway I digress, Blackburn couldn't hold a major event like this due to the lack of hospitality (Hotels's etc) but it's a nice thought.

As bad as Blackburn is it is still light years ahead of Oswaldtwistle.

BTW - Did you used to be Ossydave?

Erm, No. Probably I did not articulate myself properly. I actually love Blackburn I just dont consider it to be "small". I also think it could be a place to be proud of instead of the dump that it has been allowed to become. Dont slag of Ossy-It's a hotbed of blue and white passion ( with the odd Dingle admittedly)

TND - its not the factual accuracy of your statements that I question but your constant belittling of the town, the people that live there and everything about the place - which I presume inlcude your work colleagues, business partners, customers/suppliers and employees. You have not a positive word to say about anything! I would expect better from someone who's business is "immovable". I presume you are resigned to the gradual decline of your business also? I pity your employees and acquaintances as they must be thoroughly depressed listening to your opinions all the time. You know you could always flog it and move away? or just close it down if it is such an albatross!

As much as east lancs needs to broaden the horizons of its people, it can also do without the tiresome snobbery and ridicule of the self-styled intelligentia. What is needed is some positive input and vision. Many of us are not blind but we don't appreciate being constantly told that we are scum living in a sh!thole! I don't advocate burying heads in the sand but at least be bloody constructive when you criticise!

Well said sir ! I may be in a minority on here but I love living in East Lancs, having returned to the area on retirement a number of years ago. If Four Bogs had had any gumption he would have left many years ago and realised what he missed.

Erm, No. Probably I did not articulate myself properly. I actually love Blackburn I just dont consider it to be "small". I also think it could be a place to be proud of instead of the dump that it has been allowed to become. Dont slag of Ossy-It's a hotbed of blue and white passion ( with the odd Dingle admittedly)

I only slagged off Ossy as you are from there and said Blackburn was a "sh1t tip"...some of us don't like it being put down that much and just how bad the place is overemphasised at times. It hasn't got a lot going for it as a town but it isn't quite the hell on earth some seem to suggest. Although I must admit there are times when I feel that way myself... :unsure:

Why on earth would FIFA consider Blackburn as a world cup venue when an ever growing percentage of the population have no interest in football ?

God only knows what events the town will be hoping to stage in the year 2018 .....maybe a few half time stonings and beheadings might generate a bit of enthusiasm I suppose....

Sited on an illegal tip in Feniscowles (BwD council are embarrassed big time.... in fact they cocked up so big in allowing the illegal tipping to continue for so long that they would prob give planning permission for a nuclear waste dump underneath a creche.) the developers want to call it 'Pleasington Lakes'! Why? It's nowhere near piggin Pleasington! Cupid stunts! Ramsbottoms Pits or Blubberhouse Bottoms would be more appropriate in this instance.

ES you are displaying incredible naivety in even suggesting this. Whoever wants to build this Trailer Park is doing it for grant and aid monies in cahoots with a desperate council in deep sh1t and facing a huge clean up cost and not because of Blackburns renowned but underdeveloped tourist potential thats for certain sure.

Before shooting your mouth off Theno perhaps you should have had a ganders at this ... pleasington lakes plans

Before shooting your mouth off Theno perhaps you should have had a ganders at this ... pleasington lakes plans

sorry Spark but why would anyone invest in Blackburn. It is a 1st class tip...put your dosh in Preston and Leyland along with the sensible investors. Sorry but it is impossible to talk up Blackburn, apart from the Rovers of course.

sorry Spark but why would anyone invest in Blackburn. It is a 1st class tip...put your dosh in Preston and Leyland along with the sensible investors. Sorry but it is impossible to talk up Blackburn, apart from the Rovers of course.

As I've said before .... the best description I've heard of Preston is from The Times ... which described it as .... 'a cross between Hiroshima and The Bronx'. Give me the hills any day.

As I've said before .... the best description I've heard of Preston is from The Times ... which described it as .... 'a cross between Hiroshima and The Bronx'. Give me the hills any day.

I remember that well, it was in the Poly guides around the mid 80s when I was looking for higher education venues.

Archived