BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ewood For World Cup Venue

err are you winding up to asking Jan for a date Abbey? :wub:

btw Jan if he does pluck up courage then Stanley House might suit your purpose. 5* rating, 3 miles from Sudell Cross on the Preston New Road, owned by the Walker family (although it is allegedly for sale at the moment).

Failing that 'Time' above the Sirloin at Hoghton or 'Inside Out' at Walton-le-Dale serve nice food but not residential so you 2 will have to find somewhere else to snuggle up after!

"Stanley House" is garbage; a waste of money.

"Sirloin" is good, as long as the regular chef is in.

"Inside Out" is ace but is in PNE land

"Algerho" is nothing more than fair to middling

"Northcote Manor" is middling to good

what else is on offer? Nowt!!!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why on earth would FIFA consider Blackburn as a world cup venue when an ever growing percentage of the population have no interest in football ?

Because we still rank, per citizen, amongst the most football-interested places in the country.

Way over the top some of the remarks on my town of birth,Its not Barcelona or Madrid, we all know it has its problems like most other towns and cities do but take a look at some areas of Glasgow,Birmingham and London and you'll see some real '###### tips'.

The countryside around Blackburn is beautiful and I would much rather live here than a concrete hell hole like London.

When the club is doing its upmost to attract fans back to the club and even area, threads like this make me sick. :angry:

Ah....but will that still be the case in 2018 ? :huh:

Well, I dare say so (particularly if there was a World Cup being hosted here). For one thing, part of the problem is kids getting into supporting more successful clubs, rather than them stopping liking football. Besides, it doesn't really matter how interested the citizens are (Though, even with a big dip we'd be just as fanatic as most Prem club's homes). There just has to be a good ground, preferably with good facilities around it. Don't think we'd be required to hero-worship the teams or anything. They don't expect people from the town to be filling the ground, but foreign fans. Another thing...some people keep talking about us holding THE World Cup. We're only discussing holding SOME of it, bear in mind. Given past competitions, we're clearly more up to task than some places in past successful WC bids.

For Christ's sake, you are the one going over the top! I would be totally embarrased to show a visitor around Lord Square or Ainsworth Street. Are you seriously saying you wouldn't feel the same way? I'm not having a go at Blackburn or Blackburnians per se just the morons that have allowed it to deteriorate into it's current state.

Well this is a step in the right direction if it's all above board . It could only improve the area . Any idea of the time scale involved Sparky ?

No idea ... the locals are wanting the land to be returned to open fields .... so it may not be straight forward.

I've noticed that most of the negative feeling towards the town comes from those who live there, and have done for some time. I've lived in several cities in hte UK which all have a lot more to offer than Blackburn (in terms of town centre attractions, jobs, restaurants, hotels) but I would certainly not describe any of them as being a nicer, more appealing place to the casual visitor.

Can't think of a city in the UK that looks pleasant as you approach a main railway station or come from an airport.

Reminds of when I worked in a rather sh*tty Supermarket in Darwen and they brought a load of lads up from Liverpool to help us open he store. They couldn't believe how nice the town was. Kept going on about the hills, woods and general friendliness about the place. East Lancashire as a whole is a picturesque part of the country.. fact!

This is all a bit off topic. We won't be a world cup venue if England is picked, but that's less to do with the town just the shear competition we would face from other parts of the country.

No idea ... the locals are wanting the land to be returned to open fields .... .

Getaway! Really?...... Open fields or trailer trash..... hmmmm I guess it's a tough one. :rolleyes:

BTW Why 'Pleasington' Lakes ffs? Why not Palm Springs Lakes ? It's about as relevent after all.

btw ES Please forgive me for not being too impressed by the planning application blurb.

Was thinking about this question last night and was wondering where the Leverkusen fans would be staying. Most answers seemed to be 'Preston' or 'Manchester'...without huge investment improving transport links and available hotel places the prospect of World Cup football (or even, probably, an international friendly) would be a complete no goer.

Can't think of a city in the UK that looks pleasant as you approach a main railway station or come from an airport.

Edinburgh is gorgeous, as is Bath. Bristol is not too bad either. And Newcastle has a certain charm, but mainly due tot the geography rather than the buildings. Never been but I hear Nottingham looks quite nice as you come in.

Do agree that is the exception rather than the rule though. All the industial revolution cities (Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow) can look pretty hideous. As does London until you get to the centre.

Archived