BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes And Mccarthy Fallen Out?

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the problem if they have fallen out? I'm sure managers and players fall out all the time. Benni's performances in the past couple of weeks have been below par compared to how he did early in the season and he deserves to be told that, as he should know.

What's the problem if they have fallen out? I'm sure managers and players fall out all the time. Benni's performances in the past couple of weeks have been below par compared to how he did early in the season and he deserves to be told that, as he should know.

i agree, edward.

however, the 'current bun' says " clashed over whether he should travel to London."

not exactly a feud! pointless article.

I've been thinking that Benni needed a kick up the arse recently. I was wondering just how Hughes would handle it given that Benni appears to think that he is such a Billy Big Time.

Agreed, a couple of games from the bench might be just the incentive McCarthy requires given his recent performances.

So far this season there seems to be a clause written into his contract he can't be substituted no matter how badly he plays.

• 10 months later...
McCarthys performances of late have been pathetic, he plays for himself and not the team which is exactly NOT what we need at the moment.

I wonder whether that's the conclusion that Mark Hughes has reached - with McCarthy not coming on against Chelsea yesterday - or whether there's been a behind-the-scenes row involving the pair recently.

Some of McCarthy's performances this month, particularly against Wigan and West Ham, have been well below the standards that Hughes should be expecting of him. McCarthy's recent body language has given the impression that he's sulking and scowling. Perhaps he wants a move in January and is still upset that he didn't get his "dream move" to Chelsea in the summer.

Media stories circulated that McCarthy stormed off after being substituted against Newcastle earlier this month and although Hughes tried to play down that episode it certainly wouldn't surprise me if there's been some type of row between the pair recently. Indeed there were also rumours of a blazing row in the dressing room at half-time against Wigan involving two players.

When the team has been going through a bad run of form of late - with just one win in eight games - then you need to have players who are willing to proverbially fight in the trenches for the good of the team. But at the moment McCarthy cannot be relied upon in that respect. Some of his performances this season have showed a woeful lack of desire and workrate on his part.

If there are any players being disruptive to dressing room spirit, causing disharmony within the club, then Hughes is right to leave them out of the side in my view.

I wonder whether that's the conclusion that Mark Hughes has reached - with McCarthy not coming on against Chelsea yesterday - or whether there's been a behind-the-scenes row involving the pair recently.

Some of McCarthy's performances this month, particularly against Wigan and West Ham, have been well below the standards that Hughes should be expecting of him. McCarthy's recent body language has given the impression that he's sulking and scowling. Perhaps he wants a move in January and is still upset that he didn't get his "dream move" to Chelsea in the summer.

Media stories circulated that McCarthy stormed off after being substituted against Newcastle earlier this month and although Hughes tried to play down that episode it certainly wouldn't surprise me if there's been some type of row between the pair recently. Indeed there were also rumours of a blazing row in the dressing room at half-time against Wigan involving two players.

When the team has been going through a bad run of form of late - with just one win in eight games - then you need to have players who are willing to proverbially fight in the trenches for the good of the team. But at the moment McCarthy cannot be relied upon in that respect. Some of his performances this season have showed a woeful lack of desire and workrate on his part.

If there are any players being disruptive to dressing room spirit, causing disharmony within the club, then Hughes is right to leave them out of the side in my view.

I posted this yesterday on the chelsea thread smithy and I don't think it's that wide of the mark. Some other club has prob put the word out that they are willing to pay our hired guns more filthy lucre.

Quote.........

"btw anybody think that the recent plethora of transfer requests is not down to babyhouse tantrums about team places but rather more about agents being informed of 'Neillesque' remuneration packages available in Jan from desperate teams near the bottom of the Prem? A move to a struggling club might not necessarily be in the best long term interests of the players but it's probably in the best short term interests of the agents. "

I posted this yesterday on the chelsea thread smithy and I don't think it's that wide of the mark. Some other club has prob put the word out that they are willing to pay our hired guns more filthy lucre.

Quote.........

"btw anybody think that the recent plethora of transfer requests is not down to babyhouse tantrums about team places but rather more about agents being informed of 'Neillesque' remuneration packages available in Jan from desperate teams near the bottom of the Prem? A move to a struggling club might not necessarily be in the best long term interests of the players but it's probably in the best short term interests of the agents. "

I don't think he would move to a relegation club but I do think he would look at Newcastle or West Ham. But also i don't think any club, including west ham, would actually pay him much more than he gets here after this seasons efforts.

My opinion is, providing we get a big enough offer (not neccessarily likely as he has been very mediocre and we won't be tempted for less than 8-10 million), he is out the door. He is resting on his laurels and there was a substantial rumour that he can go in Jul 2008 for a reduced fee due to a contract clause.

Give me Bentley and Santa Cruz anyday

McCarthy can sling his hook or rot in the reserves as far as I'm concerned.

Give me Bentley and Santa Cruz anyday

McCarthy can sling his hook or rot in the reserves as far as I'm concerned.

We really, really don't deserve to sign top players when some of us have an attitude like that. What on Earth has McCarthy done to deserve such resentment?

It says a lot that Kuqi and Dickov will probably be more fondly remembered than McCarthy a few years down the line.

Edit: For what it's worth, I think McCarthy's dip in form can be explained very easily; he is no longer the main target for our crosses or passes in to the box, that job has now been given to Santa Cruz. They both run in to the same spaces.

Hughes has obviously tried to fit McCarthy in to the supporting striker role that Bentley played against Chelsea, but it hasn't quite worked out so far. It's a shame because they're both fantastic players, hopefully we can find something that makes full use of both their talents.

Archived