BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes And Mccarthy Fallen Out?

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move by Sparky, again! He hits nail on head, saying "we won't fund a player of similar quality by selling him". I still think Anelka would be an improvement, but he would cost a whole lot more too. Give Benni more time, he played well when he came on against City, and is still the best partner for RSC upfront.

• 3 months later...
Hughes has smelt a dressing room rat, and the smell spreads to other players unless the rat is removed.

After being hauled off from the Ewood Park pitch after just 56 minutes of a disappointing display against Fulham a month ago, Benedict McCarthy has spent the last four games on the bench, reduced to making substitute appearances.

I don't suppose that the sulky South African will be terribly happy about that and there has to be a doubt as to whether he will definitely be playing for us next season.

Given a choice between keeping McCarthy or keeping Bentley, I would certainly rather keep Bentley. It will be interesting to see what happens in the summer. Whether Hughes finally loses patience with the South African remains to be seen.

What McCarthy's South African? I wouldnt have guessed.

I would prefer to keep both of them, but if BM doesnt want to play for us then we need to see what money we can get for him and I'd rather lose him before Bentley

McCarthy wants away. He wanted away in January and he wasn't allowed to go. He's basically sulking. He had an approach from Chelsea that we nipped in the bud and he has had the hump ever sinse. He'll leave in the summer, and on this years form that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If we were to sell then sell him back to spain, not to an english club, because he could hurt us if playing for anothing club in the prem.

Personally I like the guy, he came from Porto, did a cracking job and got us plenty of goals, this season his head was turned (which is fair enough), and he hasnt quite gelled with Roque. Doesnt hide tha fact that he is still a class player though.

£5m is a bargain price! How much did Chopra or Marlon King cost?

this season his head was turned (which is fair enough

Ok his head was turned, but he has also been paid shed loads of money by us in return for a crap attitude and very poor effort on trhe pitch (which is not fair enough).

Well I think he is off. Only five games left and I think he will struggle to get a match as Roberts and Cruz are doing a decent job. Roberts has been making things happen with his pace and power, laid a few goals on and is guaranteed to scare defenders a bit. Unlikely to get dropped imo.

Benni has a 5m clause in his contract I think and, to be honest, for me that is decent value for a player of his age. We might struggle to raise even that as his form has been so poor this season. I think he will go though as I think he offers little from the bench plus, if he is not playing, become a little bit of nuisance for the boss.

He has, imo, been a victim of the way we play and his own patchy attitude to the game. The quality from wide areas has not been as good as last season, and teams we have played have realised that if they keep a high line against him he becomes almost completely useless. He is not pacy or incisive enough to get behind the opposition so he just fades as the game wears on and disappears into a congested midfield. It's a shame as if we had fast wide players or a quick partner striker to force the back line deeper he could be a lot more effective. Hey ho.

So I would say it is curtains really. I can't see a future for him. Its a shame as he is easily the most technically talented player I have seen at Rovers apart from Tugay. When he did that full back with that spinning trick thing (can someone get it on youtube?) my jaw dropped.

If we can get some money in and invest it into a younger quicker player to complement Cruz I would recommend it. If we had an Ashley Young/Ablanghor, Defoe, Marcus Bent, Bellamy etc. type of player it would radically increase our options going forward.

Still got us some vital goals. He cant score if he isnt playing. He hasnt played anywhere near as much as last season.

His goals total includes a few penalties.

He isn't playing because he doesn't deserve to because of his bad attitude and lack of effort, which was my point in the first place.

Shame if he did go because he is probably suffering the second year blues. If he does have a 5 million release clause and Chelsea wanted him bad enough they could have popped the cash.

Be pretty disheartening if he was let go and scored 20 next year.

Roberts is doing OK - again not good enough, and never likely to get more than 10 goals in a premier league season. As for the quick player, what about potentially Derbyshire?

Well I think he is off. Only five games left and I think he will struggle to get a match as Roberts and Cruz are doing a decent job. Roberts has been making things happen with his pace and power, laid a few goals on and is guaranteed to scare defenders a bit. Unlikely to get dropped imo.

He has, imo, been a victim of the way we play and his own patchy attitude to the game. The quality from wide areas has not been as good as last season, and teams we have played have realised that if they keep a high line against him he becomes almost completely useless.

If we can get some money in and invest it into a younger quicker player to complement Cruz I would recommend it. If we had an Ashley Young/Ablanghor, Defoe, Marcus Bent, Bellamy etc. type of player it would radically increase our options going forward.

Penalties or not, at least he can take them! Unlike derbyshire. It still takes skill and nerves.

His goals total includes a few penalties.

He isn't playing because he doesn't deserve to because of his bad attitude and lack of effort, which was my point in the first place.

Agree totally. Benni hasnt got bags of pace so what is the point for the last 2 minutes. He should of been given at least 15 mins.

No he came on, he just seemed to think it was funny that he was being brought on with one or two minutes left, there was little point.

I agree with him about that though, Hughes does it too often.

Shame if he did go because he is probably suffering the second year blues. If he does have a 5 million release clause and Chelsea wanted him bad enough they could have popped the cash.

But it would be better than keeping him and watching score 2 goals plus a few penalties for us.

What's disheartening to me is we did NOT flog him at the beginning of this season. He had made it clear where his head was and we could have got serious money for him then. Of course hindsight being 20-20 and he's had a dismal season by his standards but I think I said at the time we should tell him bye, he was spoiled good after the whole Chelsea thing. I am still suspiscious of his disappearance in the semi against them too.

What's disheartening to me is we did NOT flog him at the beginning of this season. He had made it clear where his head was and we could have got serious money for him then. Of course hindsight being 20-20 and he's had a dismal season by his standards but I think I said at the time we should tell him bye, he was spoiled good after the whole Chelsea thing. I am still suspiscious of his disappearance in the semi against them too.

When I read rubbish like this, I sometimes wonder if players (especially strikers) arriving at BRFC would do themselves a favour by underperforming for their early games / first season.

Clearly you USABlue would be far happier with a hard working striker without the trimmings. Did you see that lad for Barnsley at the weekend? He missed a simple 1 on 1 to deny his side a chance of extra time and who knows what else, and had only scored 2 goals in 40 games for them - but one of those was against Chelsea in the QF. But my word he works hard - and his head hasn't been turned by Chelsea, even though he knocked them out of the cup. Shall we snap him up to replace Benni??

Players like McCarthy and Samba can't win with some of our fans. They arrive, do too well early on for their own good, and then get slated because they can't maintain amazing performances week in week out over long periods.

McCarthy should have only bagged 8 goals in his first season, then his 11 this time around would be seen as the correct return. Samba should have bottled some of the awesome ball winning crunchers in his early days because now we'd forgive him his positional misjudgements.

These things reflect Rovers fans expectations for the club as a whole. If we're not making a domestic semi-final or in 6th place in the Premier League, half of the fans are up in arms. People need to get real. We are doing brilliantly to be where we are, and having McCarthy on the books is amazing - as a season ticket holder I pay to see great footballers and he is one.

I sincerely hope the reports of a deal until 2011 are true - I'll be buying season tickets for the next three years to watch the most skillful footballer at the club for ages.

Got to agree with you Tris, to attract players of Benni's quality to the club in the first place was a masterstroke.

I would rather take the punt that this is second year blues and watch him hit the back of the net time and time again next year from his lethal boot. The fact remains with all of these kinds of quality players that 'fall out' with the fickle Rovers fans is how are you going to replace what they CAN bring to the table?

I am just waiting for Santa to miss a couple next year "Should have sold him! Should have sold him!"

As far as Samba goes, jebus! Give the guy a break.

Rovers may have top 6 ambitions every year but we are pretty damn lucky if you ask me to be in the Premier League considering our club size and financial backing.

I sincerely hope the reports of a deal until 2011 are true - I'll be buying season tickets for the next three years to watch the most skillful footballer at the club for ages.

Someone can be the most skillful player in the world Tris, but if their attitude isn't right, it matters not one jot.

Someone can be the most skillful player in the world Tris, but if their attitude isn't right, it matters not one jot.

Quite right Rev. Benni should have a terminally negative attitude. Like you. I'm gonna tell him to wipe that smirk off his face.

8 Premiership goals in 23 appearances (many as a sub). He must have a stinkin' attitude eh? What we need is a headless chickien that bags the magic 1 in 3...

Quite right Rev. Benni should have a terminally negative attitude. Like you. I'm gonna tell him to wipe that smirk off his face.

8 Premiership goals in 23 appearances (many as a sub). He must have a stinkin' attitude eh? What we need is a headless chickien that bags the magic 1 in 3...

too subtle....some people don't do irony :rolleyes:

6 of those 8 were penalties, and he's not scored from open play since about october time. This isn't hockey, we can't just sub him on to take them and then take him off again (yes I know thats actually for penalty corners).

Archived